Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SOOOO Discouraged...Please Help

I was banded on August 1st and have lost almost 13 lbs. The 1st week, which was full liquids, I dropped weight like crazy. I started mushies this past Monday and the scale hasn't moved since. I'm following my doctor's diet/advice to a tee AND I'm walking briskly on my treadmill every other night. The scales still isn't moving. Is this normal?? I'm so disappointed. :thumbup:

STOP! I sometimes think that people think we got the bypass and not the band.. how much do you expect to lose the first month? 30 lbs? no.. you are doing good.. And yes, this is normal. As you start to eat normal foods you aren't going to lose that much right away. Your body is healing and heck, I even gained 2 - 5 lbs at one point and flipped out as well, so I guess I can't say too much. But yes, this is totally normal. Expect to lose about 5-10 lbs a month and sometimes you might even plateau for 3 weeks and only lose 3-4 lbs that month. It's perfectly normal and fine.

Don't be discouraged! It is completely normal. That was definitely my experience too. I lost 18 pounds the first 2 weeks and as soon as I started on soft foods I gained a few of those pounds back. After a couple of weeks, the weight started coming back off. Your body is in distress right now. It's just undergone trauma from the surgery and your body is hanging on to everything it can because of the rapid weight loss.

I'm going to give you some advice that my doctor gave me before the surgery. He reminded me of it right after surgery, and it has really helped me keep perspective. Right after surgery, your job is to focus on letting your body heal. Your job is not to lose weight right now. Once your body has fully healed, your job is to fous on learning the new behaviors that go along with the band. My doctor told me that he would tell me when my job was to focus on losing weight. I had my surgery 5 months ago, and he still hasn't told me to focus on losing weight. I learned very quickly that if I was truly focused on the new behaviors that the weight would come off. After 5 months, I've lost 58 pounds.

Try not to get discouraged. The weight will come off in time.

i was banded 6-26-08 and have lost 18 LBS,so just relax it comes off slower than we want BUT it does come off

It comes off slower, but it's going to STAY OFF!!!:thumbup: That's why I got Banded. I can lose weight on my own, but keeping it off is the big problem. And I know it's still going to take some work to maintain, but I'll have this little tool inside that'll be a whole lot of help!

I was Banded 8/4, and after gaining a couple of pounds post op due to swelling and gas, I dropped 3 pounds a day for 4 days. That has slowed since I added about 100 more calories a day. I've decided to stop weighing every day, now that the loss has slowed. It was exciting to watch the numbers fall so drastically, but now I know the daily fluctuations are going to start, so why torment myself?

Hang in there, follow your doctor's instruction to the "t" and you will be successful!

Ditto! I had the same experience. down 13 first week, then about 1 pound each week. I have hit a plateau for 2 weeks and it is discouraging. I think "how can I eat so little" and not drop an ounce. I hope it's just my body adjusting. I need to move around more which will definitely help.

I was banded July 25 and experienced a 17 pound loss in the first two weeks. Now in the third week I am staying the same. I expected it from what I had read from others. What you wrote though is so great. Thanks for sharing what your doc. told you, auntlucy, that was a real encouragement!

Hey this happens to almost all of us. I strongly urge you to read the forum headed lap band fills and you will see and understand how and why the whole thing works. I was banded June 23rd and have had 3.4 cc in a 10cc band and I have only lost 2 lbs. I will be getting a fill Aug 20th but I am not expecting a miracle. Many banded people don't really start losing until their 3rd or 4th fill. I do think or hope doctors and fill nurses are becoming more compassionate about fills when people need them for the psychological reiforcement. Someone on the forum said their doctor was banded and he is way more agressive and frequent in his fills because he knows how discouraging it can get when you don't lose weight. I am hoping more doctors will attend seminars where the psychological component is disucssed and banded patients are speakers so they will understand how important it is for patients to lose weight. I am still soooo glad I did this as I will have this tool for life. Just think if you were on Weight Watchers only you would be relying only on will power.

I lost 15 lbs the first two weeks after being banded. When the dr told me to go on solid foods, I was also told that I probably won't lose any more weight until I had a fill. I did lose 2 more lbs, and was told that was very good any many people gain a few after going on solid food. You are meant to lose slowly. Don't worry, be happy!

I could have written your post - It was FANTASTIC to read the responses, thanks for posting and thanks for the encouraging and informative posts!

Jenn

I have the samething but I am only taking short walks around the blck banded Aug 5th and I haven't even started doing anything like a treadmill, wow I am still sore on my left side....so you are fine and can walk that fast all ready...something must be wrong with me.

Tracyde, I can feel your pain... I was banded on Aug.5th. I lost 10lbs. on Stage 1 and was happy every day I stepped on the scale. Now, even though I have been on the Eliptical 3 times this week, I have actually gained 1 pound. I am starting to feel like I am going crazy.

My advice...put the scale in the attic! Judging by your clothes is going to make you happy! Let your doctor weigh you and you Celebrate your Non Scale Victories (NSV's) by those clothes being very loose and falling off. I've gone from a 22 to an 18 and even the 18's require frequent "pulling up". Seriously, destroy the scale!

So I am calling the surgeon tomorrow and finding out if I can go to the gym and start working out. Everyone esle seems to. I am still sore I just don't get it. I must be doing something wrong then. I am not aloud to go back to work until next Thursday. He said two weeks I needed (my surgeon Dr Balsama) I will call tomorrow to see if I can start. I walk a bit but that's it. I feel like I am never going to lose weight only 6 lbs so far and I am on my second week.

Lisa:cursing:

Thanks everyone! I know now that it's ok that this is happening and that others are going through it too. It just stinks knowing I'm practically eating nothing & not losing like I want. I know this too shall pass & can't wait for my 1st fill on Sept 15th!!