Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a little over 5 weeks post op. I am waiting for my first fill. Yesterday I had a personal pan pizza from pizza hut (I know...really bad) anyway, I took super small baby bites and chewed, chewed, chewed. Today I am having a small amount of pain in my band area. Nothing major, just a step or two over discomfort. I first noticed it drinking my Protein Drink today. Could I have damaged my band??

I am so concerned about this. I was self pay and can not afford to have another surgery on it. Any input or suggestions??

I am a little over 5 weeks post op. I am waiting for my first fill. Yesterday I had a personal pan pizza from pizza hut (I know...really bad) anyway, I took super small baby bites and chewed, chewed, chewed. Today I am having a small amount of pain in my band area. Nothing major, just a step or two over discomfort. I first noticed it drinking my Protein drink today. Could I have damaged my band??

I am so concerned about this. I was self pay and can not afford to have another surgery on it. Any input or suggestions??

We all know how hard it is . But your less than 6 weeks post op . Our doc tells us to NOT Eat for a reason , its not because he's being mean or torturing us , its because the band had to form scar tissue and heal .

THe first 6 weeks post op is what could possibly set the standard for the rest of your life.

You know you should not have eaten the pizza . It makes not difference if you chewed and chewed, if that was " OK " Then your doc would have told you " Eat what you want as long as you chew and chew "

Could you have damaged your band YES you could have .

Should you call your doc yes. If your having pain i would.

I was self pay and what drives me to NOT put thing in my mouth I should not . IS that i was self pay . I think before ( espically the first 6 weeks post op ) I put anything in my mouth is " WILL THIS SCREW MY BAND UP " . YOU HAVE TO !!!!

Let that FEAR keep you from putting stuff in your mouth you should NOT .

If your having pain call your doctor . Once you get restriction it gets easier but until then Which is not much longer you HAVE TO contorl the head hunger !!! Hang in there it gets better until then DO NOT DO ANYTHING YOUR DOC SAYS NOT TO !!

Here is another couple threads that you might want to read.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/bad-bander-but-curious-question-ha-ha-68335/

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/ive-been-cheating-68528/

HTH

Mindy

Actualy my doctor said to add "real" food at 5 weeks. I realize pizza is a bit too "real"... and I regret it more than you can know. I would NEVER have eaten it on liquid/mushies/soft. I have been soooo good about following the rules.

I am really truly afraid. I had no pain yesterday. It all started today, and again, it is very mild. I am sticking to liquids/protein drinks today.

it was probably too soon for something like pizza yes. you need to "easy" it solids. For instance start w/ something like tuna salad, then go to maybe soft meats, then go to something a little more solid ( im at aloss right now as to what lol)

I would stay on liquids for a day or so and calll your doc right away .

HTH

Mindy

Mindy,

Thank you so much for your advice. You are so right.... pizza was a bit too aggressive. Actually the mild pain is gone. Now all I feel is a sort of gas pain..not so much band pain. I have learned a very, very, and hopefully not too expensive lesson. I am seing my doc on Monday, so I will tell him what I have done ;((

julie

I had a personal pan pizza at 3 weeks. and chewed it just as well. I had a fill a week after that, and my band is fine. You know your body, know what you can and cannot do, if it doesn't feel right just STOP!

I had a personal pan pizza at 3 weeks. and chewed it just as well. I had a fill a week after that, and my band is fine. You know your body, know what you can and cannot do, if it doesn't feel right just STOP!

Thanks, I feel a bit better about the whole thing. We had surgery the same day!!!

This is my point. That after being banded for less than 3 months you do not know yet if you damaged your band at something you did 3 weeks out . And telling a newbie that you did that is just as much as giving them permission or the next newbie to do it !

The post op diet is for a reason . Its to allow your band to form scar tissue around your stomach so your band does not SLIP now or in the FUTURE !it does that by your stomach not "working" or churning from food too soon !

I dont think you can say or should tell someone else " Your fine" And i dont know many docs that would think a personal pan pizza at 3 weeks post op is OK !!!!

Just my opinion ~!~

Mindy

Good to know this stuff, I keep reading my paperwork, it's almost as big as a book by now about when and how to eat. For soft foods, cottage cheese, yogurt, scrambled eggs or eggbeaters, cream of wheat, white tuna, blended with some low fat low cal mayo and some onion and celery powder. Make it nice and mushy and take small bites. Can do the same with chicken. I love humus and a little of that would be nice. When yo can eat more you can have small amounts of pita bread they say you can tolerate that more than regular bread, not as likely to swell up.

pureed fruit is good too with no sugar or Syrup, use Spenda to make it sweeter and a little Water. Also puree Soups to a soft mush.

Just a few ideas hope it helps

Docs really should give more ideas for patients on what they can and cant eat. For instance on full liquids .. Spaghetti sauce.. NEVER Would I have thought i could have that , but if you think about it IS a liquid .

Also there are things later on down the road that that I would eat such as hummus that i would never have eaten right after surgery .

Mindy

I didn't give her permission, I just talk about my experience. If your band is going to slip it will do that, not matter if you are eating a personal pizza, or if you are at the lake Water skiing. It happens, but my point is that you have to be aware of your own body, and how the band is working in your own body. Everybody is different.............I just told her about my experience, I am quite sure if you took a poll on this site, they're people that have probably ate a salad, personal pan pizza or whatever and they are fine.

I didn't give her permission, I just talk about my experience. If your band is going to slip it will do that, not matter if you are eating a personal pizza, or if you are at the lake Water skiing. It happens, but my point is that you have to be aware of your own body, and how the band is working in your own body. Everybody is different.............I just told her about my experience, I am quite sure if you took a poll on this site, they're people that have probably ate a salad, personal pan pizza or whatever and they are fine.

You give your band a MUCH better chance of NOT Slipping by following doctors orders ! My doc would FLIP THE HELL Out if he knew I ate solids at 3 weeks post op ! Yes you have to be aware of your body . But I am pretty sure that Inemeds "instructions" call for solids further out than 3 weeks ?

No you did not give persmission . But its sort of like "permission" as a newbie when people see those type of posts and think " OH they did it I'll do it and it will be fine "

Does that make sense ?

I am quite sure that if you took a poll YES there are people that ate stuff they are not suppose to but im pretty sure there are more that did not !

Mindy

Another thing you spend 7days fasting before surgery( I had too) another seven days of liquid, and mushy. It's only human to want, and crave solid foods, so yes people are going to have some kind of "solid food" to get them through. We shouldn't make anyone feel bad about that......

Another thing you spend 7days fasting before surgery( I had too) another seven days of liquid, and mushy. It's only human to want, and crave solid foods, so yes people are going to have some kind of "solid food" to get them through. We shouldn't make anyone feel bad about that......

Sorry That's not a valid argument . after EVERY fill I am on liquids for 6 days !! Then 3 days of pureed 3 days of mushies THEN Solids so for 12 days after EVERY FILL I cant eat solid food.

I could not eat Solids for nearly 3 weeks post op . Did I/DO I WANT To eat solids YES DO I ? NO !! AM i Perfect or special ? NO There are MANY MANY Others who do the same.

The fact of the matter is that for a few weeks out of your life you have to gut it out in order to have ensure the best quality of life for your band.

Sorry I dont agree w/ your agrument !!

Mindy

Im not trying to make anyone feel bad at all . You or the original poster.

Its about what's best for the band , why we all get the band to begin with .

For a healthier life. These "Cheating" type posts are more and more common lately and as someone who's been "around" for a long time its unsettling to read and to hear justification for people to continue to do it . My doc is strict on post fills and post op stuff. I dont know if the docs are getting more lax on patients or patients are just not taking it seriously ?

Either way it worries me which is why i try to respond so "harshly " I guess ?