Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOL rant... Well not really

what's with the scale obsession people? We've all dieted before and know weight fluctuates from day to day, hour to hour... Most people here believe the lap band is a tool and it's only here to help...ok so why do those same people ( just a few) freak out when the scale hasn't moved in 3 days?!?!? What diet have people ever been on That makes them think they should lose a pound a day, and that somethings wrong if it hasn't moved... I like to over think things I'm like is it the excitement of the first week that tricks people into expecting those same results forever... Eh just my rant sorry I tried to use very few if any definitive words, it's just a very general post that probably only related to 1% of posters... I just wanna say chill!! Breathe! I think if u wanna weigh everyday 8 times a day fine :biggrin: but seriously only take to heart the weekly result, for some maybe the monthly result... I'm an obsessive weighing myself person too get a work out like step aerobics getting on and off my scale so many times :angry: but now for me only Thursdays go on my little weight loss chart and only Thursday will I update my ticker :thumbup: ok I'm done rants over!

I completely agree with what you said.

I also don't understand when people freak out over gaining a pound or two in a few days. There are SO many things that can contribute to a small weight gain like that......water weight, time of the month, did you just eat, have you pooped.....that it seems so trivial to me to get worked up over 1 or 2 pounds. I think these people need to step off the scale and bring it out only weekly or monthly.

Now if you gained 5+ pounds in a few days, then that's something to pay attention to and make changes for.

I could easily be obessed by daily numbers. I have been known pre-band to weigh myself 10 times a day. I have vowed to only weigh in at my monthy dr's appointments and am looking at NSV's inbetween. Then I'm not frustrated when the doc says " you've lost 6 lbs this month" I can be happy.

If I had weighed daily, 6 pounds per month can seem like so little, but seems glorious if you weigh only weekly or monthly.

Don't forget to measure inches every 6 months they add up quick. I add this to my OCDs as i weigh my self LOL. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup:

I had about 1 cc in my band, nowhere near feeling any restriction, and my weight "skyrocketed" a whole six-tenths of a pound. The "lifetime skinny" P.A. my doc sics on us (at the rate of about $400 for five minutes and a .5 cc fill of water) actually chewed me out for gaining weight!!! Maybe only people who have "been there" should advise - like "walk a mile in my size 24's"?

Here it is:

Stay off that darned scale! I've seen a zillion posts in which people are like "I gained two pounds yesterday and managed to lose one today." You are fooling yourself, and sabotaging yourself too. You do NOT lose and gain pounds each day. There are so many variables in your weight each day that it is downright silly for you to believe that the number on the scale is a direct reflection of the day before. Quit kidding yourself! Believing that the day of "good" eating results in a pound lost, or that having that "bad" meal results in a pound gained the very next time you get on the scale is lying to yourself...or is ignorant in the very least. That's ignorant as in misguided...not ignorant as in stupid...sorry if that's confusing.

Lay off the scale for a few days at a time, even if you cannot go a whole week between. Obsessing over a number each morning is promoting the same unhealthy practices that got you to this point. This journey is about reprogramming your mind, and your approach to living overall. It's also about learning to not hang your mood each day on what some device says.

OK, I'm done now. Maybe I need some caffeine....

I agree. I'm a daily weigher but I dont panic about plateaus and small gains. They just motivate me to stay focussed. Because I know that I cannot gain 2lb of fat in one day, nor can I lose 2lb of fat in one day.

I also plateaued out for long periods of time during my losing phase, and I never lost 2lb per week for any stretch of time. I still go there in the end.

I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW!!!! I just can't help myself!!! It is an obession! Every time I use the bathroom, I weigh myself. I know it's crazy!!!! I know it's getting really bad when at work I think I can't wait until I get home so I can weigh myself..... OK, I admit it, I'm crazy!!!!!!

Very guilty. I weigh at least twice a day. Then, Every Friday morning I mark it down on a chart to stay on track. SO far it seems to be working for me. I am trying to lose 10 pounds per month. I do not think I could go a week without weighing much less a full month.

This also makes me stay aware of what I am eating.

Very guilty. I weigh at least twice a day. Then, Every Friday morning I mark it down on a chart to stay on track. SO far it seems to be working for me. I am trying to lose 10 pounds per month. I do not think I could go a week without weighing much less a full month.

This also makes me stay aware of what I am eating.[/QUOT

Oh I'm not totally against weighing daily/ hourly, everytime u pee, i'd be a hypocrite it's the overreacting people have to going up a pound one day/hour to the next... I just want to maybe hope that people stop beating themselves up over these daily weigh ins

And I think some one said it in another post it's like don't expect to lose a pound on a day u did great or gain on a day u did bad... I just messed up a million diets that way I'd go to the gym in the morning eat with in my weight watchers points, drink all the Water I was supposed to eat my veggies etc go back to the gym in the evening with Coworkers not eat late, Yeah next day up a pound, it was soooooooo discouraging I had worked so hard only to gain a pound... And i'd quit.. Feel hopeless etc

And if I can just get a few people to read this and go oh yeah I remember weight does fluctuate... And stop the negativity they feel well yaay for me...

Please weigh away!!! I am :biggrin: But no beating ur self up cause u didn't lose a pound or a tenth of a pound in 2 days :biggrin:

That's a good point. The band will help us lose weight, we are eating less and the weight will come off bit by bit.

I weigh almost daily as well. BUT I use it to just keep an eye on things. Now on Thursdays, it gets a little obsessive b/c that's the night I have to weigh in at class for the "official" total. So, I'm jumping on and off the dumb thing all day!

Now that I have my surgery date, and they told me they will cancel me if I gain ANY weight, it might get a little more obsessive for the next month! I tend to fluctuate a little and for them to say that, freaks me out!! I'm just going to have to be REALLY careful!

You may want to avoid beef for at least a week before surgery, if not the entire month. I was told that it takes an average of 3 days to digest beef so although I was not on any pre-op diet, I was told to avoid beef, rice and Pasta for at least 3 days prior to surgery.

Thanks I will avoid the beef and rice and Pasta. I am on my own pre-op. Surgery is next Thursday the 7th. I don't weigh my self at all. I decided not to. I lost 8 lbs. by the end of June, then in early July I had gained 3 of those lbs. back ( I had to lose 12 for the surgery) then went back on July 28th to meet my surgeon and I had lost 13.2 lbs. I felt great. I am still on my pre-op diet, the doctor said it's great to lose even more before surgery so my liver is shrunk. So other than a few tiny splurges, I am on a strict liquid with one very small meal at dinner diet. My only snack is a 60 calories fruit yogurt in the evening. So I won't weigh myself till Thursday when I go in for surgery Day before I will do a strict liquid diet.

I usually had no problem dropping 5-10 lbs a month when I dieted but then gained them back and more when I stopped. So I hope this works. So far I am feeling pretty happy about my decision to do this.

I am not missing the junk food either which is strange.