Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm really not that old...

Ok, I'm sick of being fat...but even sicker of being thought of as older then I actually am.

Just little comments, but I can tell that people assume that I'm about 10 years older then my 34 years (soon to be 35 in about a week). It's BULLSHIT!!

I hate the fact that my weight really adds the years to my face...I went to pick up some scrips for my mother the other day (granted I used to drive-thru) but, I could tell that the chick at the window thought I was my mom.....UGH.

Anyone else have issues with people thinking you are older then you actually are??? I'm sorry but this just really pisses me off. I don't have a ton of wrinkles or anything, heck I don't even have gray hairs yet, SO WTF?!?!?!

When I lost weight in the past I realize I looked MUCH younger, looking back at those pics now I can see why people would think I was a little older...but my God, my mother's age??? Seriously....wtf.:drool:

Well, I have always had the opposite problem. No one thinks I am 30. Everyone thinks I am a lot younger. I know a lot of people would take it as a compliment, but I feel like I some people don't respect me because they think I'm young. I work in the medical field and a lot of patients have actually asked me if I'm old enough to have a job and then when I go to draw their blood, they get nervous because they think I'm too young to do it!

I can totally relate to both of you! Back when I was married to my ex (who was a few years older than me) we were once at a mall and some guy walked up to us and asked if we'd do a quick survey ... my husband told him no and the guy said "well maybe your mother would like to participate" and he looks at ME! I had to have been only 21-22 at the time so yes, the weight really does add years to the face! :confused_smile:

Now on the opposite end of that, as I've lost alot of weight everyone comments me on how much younger I look ... when they ask about my children and I tell them I have a 17 year old they are totally shocked because they say I don't look old enough. :drool:

Oh well, I'd much rather be on this end of the spectrum than the other ... :biggrin2:

I don't have that prob, everyone thinks I am 16. LOL,my voice is really young sounding, and stuff I guess my face looks young too. I get carded for video games and movies LOL and music.

Guest Leslie2Lose

People always tell me I look young. I don't know if the extra fat in my face (I've always had squirl cheeks - the elderly aunts still love to pinch them). I guess the added the colligen smooths out all my wrinkles...lol. I get carded a lot too. Most people say I look to be in my early 20's...I'll take it! What they don't know won't hurt them.

My voice is young sounding, and once upon a time when I had a home phone and solictors would call - twice I had someone ask if my "mommy and daddy" were home.

I said, "I don't know...Would you like me to call them and find out for you, or do you want their number?"

But, even aside from my voice, I look young too. I know in 10 years (hell, even now) I'm okay with that, but in my early 20's it was rough for people to think I was 16 years old.

Guest Leslie2Lose

My voice is young sounding, and once upon a time when I had a home phone and solictors would call - twice I had someone ask if my "mommy and daddy" were home.

I said, "I don't know...Would you like me to call them and find out for you, or do you want their number?"

:biggrin: - I spit out my Water - through my nose...that wasn't fun (crap burns). OMG! I don't have the voice issue, but that was so funny. I'm sorry that people think you are 12 though - lol

Ok ... I have a good one.

A few years ago (I was 19), my sister and I were signing up for Curves gym, and we were done filling out all the paperwork etc etc. and the woman who was helping us said ... "It's so nice to see a mother and daughter who are there for each other." I was furious! I snapped back and said something like "Oh ya, being pregnant at 3 years old is tough but things have worked out really well."

Well, we ended up cancelling our membership a few months later for other reasons.

Jeeze!!!

Edited by gmwatson16
Wrong spelling

Its a lot to do with how you dress and present yourself too and many overweight people look a lot frumpier than they would otherwise choose too simply because of the lack of choice. I know I did, I had to dress like someone's grandma!

Now, people cant tell which of the three of us (my sisters and I) is the oldest (I am)! I definitely look older in the face for having lost weight, the fat plumped me out a bit, but overall my general persona is way younger, people think I'm between 30 and 35 generally!

A few examples.

1.) My mom looks great at 60 and we were in a store and I called "mom" over to see something and a salesperson standing near said, "Oh! I thought you 2 were sisters!" My mom loved it, I didn't!

2.) My DD was in her infant seat at the grocery store and a lady asked me if she was my granddaughter! Uh, no! I was 38 at the time.

3.) A couple of ladies I hooked up with at my weight management class, (1 is 30, the other is 24), were shocked(!) when I told them I was going to be 40 this month! I liked that! I have some gray hair going on too and they both thought I was a lot younger than I am. Not covering up the grays though, thought about it but I earned 'em darn it!! :smile:

Ok, I'm sick of being fat...but even sicker of being thought of as older then I actually am.

Just little comments, but I can tell that people assume that I'm about 10 years older then my 34 years (soon to be 35 in about a week). It's BULLSHIT!!

I hate the fact that my weight really adds the years to my face...I went to pick up some scrips for my mother the other day (granted I used to drive-thru) but, I could tell that the chick at the window thought I was my mom.....UGH.

Anyone else have issues with people thinking you are older then you actually are??? I'm sorry but this just really pisses me off. I don't have a ton of wrinkles or anything, heck I don't even have gray hairs yet, SO WTF?!?!?!

When I lost weight in the past I realize I looked MUCH younger, looking back at those pics now I can see why people would think I was a little older...but my God, my mother's age??? Seriously....wtf.:smile:

I was you Michelle. People used to think that I was my husband's MOTHER. No joke. It was everywhere I went, I hated it. But now I am 31 and get carded again. It does get better hun, I promise.

Once at an amusement park, I went on a ride with my son and got called "Grandma". I was PISSED.

There was a time when I looked younger than my youngest sister but those days are gone. Now I look my age instead of much younger.