Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever feel its not worth it?

I am 4 days post op and in the worst pain, it seems like its getting worse than better, my muscles are hurting so bad on my right side. I have no appetite whatsoever im having a hard time getting my shakes down because im not hungry at all. Im afraid i will never feel normal again. I want to be hungry. I never knew how much i thought about food until this surgery. Last night i went to a car race and everyone was eating...even though i wasnt hungry, i wanted to eat so bad, i alsmost cried. Anyways, im hurting, and i just want to feel normal......is it normal to feel like its not worth it and i was happier when i could eat and i wasnt dying of pain?

I was banded on June 10th and for the first two days I was surprised it hurt so much. It is a lot better today. My worst pain is on my left side and in my chest. Hang in there--it will get better and you will be glad you got banded.

There's physical recovery, and then there's mental/emotional recovery. Do you really think (not feel at the moment, but THINK) that the enjoyment of eating outweighs feeling healthy and good about yourself, and looking much better? I never see anyone come on this board and say, "I've lost 100 lb and went from a size 22 to a 6, lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol, but I miss pigging out so much I'm going to have my band removed." Believe me, you are suffering the emotional effects of surgery and probably are also going through some "food love withdrawal" but you won't feel the same way when your weight starts dropping. Really, why do you wish you were hungry? When you made the logical decision to have the surgery, you WANTED to stop feeling hungry. Think about it and realize that your mind and your emotions are not the same thing, and your mind can say "yes" and your emotions say "no" until you get them in line. You'll feel better in a few days!

:confused:Hi,

I know what you are going through. I was banded June 5. Still having pain on my port site. I have now figured I am allergic to latex because after they remove my staples, I have a huge blister where they put a steri strip. I went to the movies with my daughter yesteray an it was so hot when we came out, I almost passed out, and I have never done that in my life.

So, did I do the right thing? I don't know yet. I felt like this was my only alternative since I have no self control. I figured my eating would soon kill me, since I already have comorbidities.

Let's hope things get better soon!!!

It will be worth it. I'm exactly 4 days post op too, banded the 11th. I'm still in pain too, and not hungry at all. But when I look at my husband and daughter, I know this is going to be all worth it...

Find whatever it was that helped you decide to have the surgery in the first place, and remember why you are going through this. This time next year you will probably be wondering how you ever lived without your band.

More then worth it! Every day will get better and as you see the weight lose you will be so very happy! I look at it like this: Child birth was painful and it sucked but when they put my child in my arms I forgot the pain. A few months from now you will look back and realize it was all worth it :cursing: Good-luck to you!

I was banded Friday! Hang in there! You will feel better! I keep telling myself that this is a process, not an event. Today may good, tomorrow may suck, bt if I just keep moving forward- I will get where I am going.

Hang in there!

ps ANESTHESIA REALLY CAN MESS WITH YOUR HEAD!

KatW

There's physical recovery, and then there's mental/emotional recovery. Do you really think (not feel at the moment, but THINK) that the enjoyment of eating outweighs feeling healthy and good about yourself, and looking much better? I never see anyone come on this board and say, "I've lost 100 lb and went from a size 22 to a 6, lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol, but I miss pigging out so much I'm going to have my band removed." Believe me, you are suffering the emotional effects of surgery and probably are also going through some "food love withdrawal" but you won't feel the same way when your weight starts dropping. Really, why do you wish you were hungry? When you made the logical decision to have the surgery, you WANTED to stop feeling hungry. Think about it and realize that your mind and your emotions are not the same thing, and your mind can say "yes" and your emotions say "no" until you get them in line. You'll feel better in a few days!

Well said snowbird I have not been banded yet but been doing some heavy reading on board since I desided this is a wonderful way to loss weight and a tool is what I need.

Carol

Hang in there!!! It gets so much better. Everyone that I have ever talked to that has had any weight loss surgery has expressed feeling the same way and that includes me. I had reflux very bad for two weeks after my surgery. I wasn't able to drink anything let alone the shakes. Dehydration causes flu-like symptons and the only thing that kept running through my head is "what have you done to yourself?" I'm 7 months out now and have no regrets. The first month is probably the toughest. Try to move around as mush as possible. The pain that you are feeling is probably mostly gas but could be incisional too. The more you move, the better you'll (at least that was my experience). The emotional loss of food I think is normal too. You have wonderful, healthy life ahead of you. You'll find different things to fill your time with and you'll begin to wonder why others are so focused on food :-) Take Care

I am 4 days post op and in the worst pain, it seems like its getting worse than better, my muscles are hurting so bad on my right side. I have no appetite whatsoever im having a hard time getting my shakes down because im not hungry at all. Im afraid i will never feel normal again. I want to be hungry. I never knew how much i thought about food until this surgery. Last night i went to a car race and everyone was eating...even though i wasnt hungry, i wanted to eat so bad, i alsmost cried. Anyways, im hurting, and i just want to feel normal......is it normal to feel like its not worth it and i was happier when i could eat and i wasnt dying of pain?

U know on the 4th day I felt like i was going to die.... I was in so much pain.. I was misirable and as i thought about the pre-op phase of everything and the post I read about people not having as much pain and discomfort as i was having i said had to be bullshyt.... am i normal or not.. Yes I have a high tollerence for pain so i know i ain't no punk.. The medicine was making me worse... so i stopped taking it on the 4th day and I just took extra strength tylenol and that worked better. U may not be thirsty or hungry but drink anyway... force yourself to that is the only true way u will get your strength back.. and like everyone says walk because that will allow the gas to come up and out also... Trust me u will be ok.... If I did it u can to... This too shall pass...

The first week was horrible for me too. I felt weak and odd, not so much hungry but felt I was missing something. After that first week of Clear Liquids, the mushies really helped me feel stronger and clearer. Hang in there - I'm entering week 5 and feel so much better!

Sitting here looking back... It has all been worth it. And the things that felt like earth shattering drama's at the time, really were not a big deal.

It gets better.....once the weight starts coming off and you really get moving, the pain and discomfort become a distant memory, I promise!

I feel better right now that I have in the last ten years!