Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been asking myself that question a lot since I was banded on May 22nd. It has been 4 days, I am still in a fair amount of pain and on pain meds. Today is really the first day I have been hungry, but I am so thirsty for Water. I want to drink a huge glass of it, but know I can't.

To make matters worse, my 18 month daughter has come down with a stomach bug and I haven't been able to see her since the day before surgery. Mentally I am crushed because she wants me and I can't be with her.

I just need reassurance that things do get better.

I'm so sorry that this is happening, Shannon. It will get better. I'm ten days out and it's still a bit difficult but nothing that I can't manage. Once you start on the full fluids and pureed foods you'll feel much much better. The pain will get less and less everyday and soon you'll be snuggling up with your little one.

Have you been walking alot? I haven't had surgery yet but I've many accounts from people and they all suggest walking around more

Hope you're feeling better soon! I'm just a day ahead of you as I was banded 5/21. I can't wait to advance my diet Wednesday! I'm feeling waterlogged.

I'm so sorry that you are going through so much. I'm glad you found this site, it will support you a lot.

First of all, I'm sorry you can't see your daughter! I have a 20 month old and don't know what I would do if I couldn't see him when he's sick. No body knows how to take care of our little ones like we do!

But, you know your baby is going to be just fine. What you are going through is tramatic and to add that stress on top can seem unbearable. And I am sorry.

Focus on what is important right now. You absolutely CANNOT risk getting sick and throwing up right now. If you do, you could really injur the surgery site and have an even longer recovery. Then, you really wouldn't be there for your baby. You are doing the RIGHT THING by seperating yourself to keep both of you as healthy as possible. You baby will be over his/her sickness before you know it... kids bounce back so fast! As for you, you need to recover from your surgery, and that takes time. Be patient. Make sure you're sipping your Water throughout the day so you won't have the dehydration feeling. You also may want to try some gatorade just to get some electrolytes in your body to plump you up, so to speak. You'll at least have that feeling of being hydrated. When I'm on liquids, I like to make 1/2 gatorade and 1/2 Special K Lemonade Protein Water (cuts the calories, but you get all the good stuff!) ~

Hang in there. You'll be fine. You're going through emotional stress right now and the best thing to do is to rest and visit this site often for support. We've all been there and know how you feel.

Keep us posted. I want to see that you are doing better!

I really enjoyed your response to the lady that was banded recently. I too was banded on 5/22 and am having a heck of a time adjusting. Today , so far, I feel better then yesterday. I just feel like I am waking from a fog and asking myself "what have I done" as if I didn't know what I was doing.. I too am worried about getting sick due to being around others that are sick... do the md's want to be contacted if we start vomiting with a GI bug?

I am one week today and I am just starting to feel like myself.. but I took the time to relax and walk and just concentrate on me for once. I go back to the dr tomorrow and will ask to move to mushy stage as I have ate applesauce, cream of chicken Soup, Protein Shakes, and feel like I can move on.. or at least ask if I can in about 4 more days.. haven't had any hunger problems.. My port incision was the worst pain. but even that is going away.. I took an extra week off so I could be really ready to go back to work and give it my all.. I just couldnt see myself going tomorrow... but I have a list of things to ask the dr.. and hopefully tomorrow I will feel more confidant in getting out of the house more.. day 7 cant wait to weigh tomorrow...

Hang in there everybody! I promise every day gets a little better and you will start to feel stronger each morning. I am 3 weeks out and am feeling great! Once I got past the gas pains I started to feel so much better.

Just keep swimming!

Yes, it can be very bad if you get a stomach bug and start vomiting with a band, especially right after surgery when your band hasn't healed in place yet.

I keep some anti-nausea medicine in the house at all times. I wouldn't want to risk a slipped band due to vomiting.

Yes, it does get better and better. I'm 5 wks out and I was starting to wonder if there would be a day without pain at the incisions, not that it's been unbearable, but noticable...plus it seemed I had to take things slower on my walks than last summer....but here in the past week to 10 days I've seen a big improvement. I have worked in the yard almost all weekend and the need for a break is less frequent than last summer. Heck, last summer I didn't feel like going out in the yard let alone work in it! lol....It does get better every day and I'm looking forward to slimmer days!

I had it done on May 21st and after spending time with family I went home today. I had thought I'd do so several days ago but I didn't feel up to it and I was enjoying the care. I'm still weak, I'm starting to feel hunger but I also (as of today) am starting to feel better. The gas pain has dropped significantly, a little something in my belly makes the hunger pangs stop. I know I only have one day on you but yesterday I was feeling much different than I do today. Just remeber to go with the flow a little bit and know that the pain, annoying diet will improve and a few months from now you'll be too busy buying a new wardrobe to worry about how you felt for the first week

Why can't you drink Water?

Oh, I am sorry you are not feeling well and that you can't see your daughter. that truly, truly sucks!

We had the stomach flu a couple of weeks ago (I'm not banded yet), and it hit all 5 of us VERY hard. It was a violent one. I just wanted to remind you that little kids can be contagious for several days (or longer) AFTER they've stopped vomiting, so please be very careful.

We thought we were all clear and then the kiddos gave it to EVERYONE who was at our Mother's Day brunch. It was awful.

But, good luck to you. From everything I've read, this pain is only temporary and soon you'll be one of the hundreds on this board who say they'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I was banded on May 21st and believe me I was on an emotional rollercoaster.I understand exactly how you feel. But it does get better the pain is minimal now. The ahrd part for me is the headaches and trying to get all the right liquids down. I was very tired no energy whne I asked the qusetion of my nurse she said i wasn't getting enough Protein. So today I adjust again to make it better. It seems like adjustment will be around for awhile. Sorry to hear about your baby but I am sure you will make it. I need to know others have made it so then I know I can do it to. This is a great place to see that for yourself. Good Luck:thumbup:

Thanks everyone for all the encourgement. I am doing much better today and have only taken my pain meds once.

My daughter is also getting better. Soon we will be able to spend quality time together without my weight getting in the way. Can't wait.