Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 8 weeks post-op. I had lapband on March 20th. I have had one fill and go in tomorrow to have another one. the first one basically did nothing. I was already having a hard time not eating too much before the first fill and its so very hard now. I have even put on about 6 pounds of what what I had lost from the pre-op and post lap. I am beginning to wonder if this will work at all. I really need some encouragement right now. Has anyone else done this and then it work?:cry_smile:

I am 8 weeks post-op. I had lapband on March 20th. I have had one fill and go in tomorrow to have another one. the first one basically did nothing. I was already having a hard time not eating too much before the first fill and its so very hard now. I have even put on about 6 pounds of what what I had lost from the pre-op and post lap. I am beginning to wonder if this will work at all. I really need some encouragement right now. Has anyone else done this and then it work?:cry_smile:

You have to be patient. the band will work , but the fills sometimes takes time to kick in !! Sometimes people take up to 3 fills before they feel restriction.

I know its hard but right now your in bandster hell. Hoipefully this next fill will give you some restriction.

You can do it just hang in there !!!

Mindy

Sorry i Forgot to tell ya Im in Texas too !! Where are ya'll at ?

Mindy

I was banded on April 29, 2008, which makes me 2.5 weeks post op and I am ready to eat a cow. I have been very good about what I put in my mouth but will not lie, the last 2-3 days I have eaten 3 Cookies and some chips (just a handful). What worries me is that non of that hurt and non of it filled me up.

I went in to see my doc this past Wed., May 14, 2008 and was inquiring about a fill, to which he told me he does not do them until we have been banded a minimum of 6-weeks. I told him that I am eating more than 4oz, that I am eating more like 10-12oz and it worries me.

He asked what I was eating and about my Protein shakes, which I make regularly or I go to smoothie king and have them make me a low carb high protien one. Also about my Vitamin intake, which I adhere to.

He told me that as long as I am losing weight, which I have lost 3 more lbs since last week, then I am fine. He said we would discuss a fill on my June 2 appointment when it has been 6 weeks.

No worries, you are not the only one in ths boat. Figure out what you are eating and try elimanating some of it. I have found myself eating all day and it makes me feel like a cow, but I am steadily losing weight. So try this if it will help and give the second fill a couple of days. I have heard it can take up to 3-4 fills before it works for you. EVeryone is different. There is a lady who works with my fiance who had hers done 10 months ago and is just now going in for her first fill while I am needing one at 6weeks post op.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your second fill!!!

Krys

I am getting my fills at TLC Edge. Bandster Hell is the right word! I just keep worrying I will be one of those it will take forever to work for. I know I have to work with it and not just rely on the bad itself but I have not lost any weight in the past month. Hopefully this one will work I will let ya'll know.

I was banded on April 29, 2008, which makes me 2.5 weeks post op and I am ready to eat a cow. I have been very good about what I put in my mouth but will not lie, the last 2-3 days I have eaten 3 Cookies and some chips (just a handful). What worries me is that non of that hurt and non of it filled me up.

I went in to see my doc this past Wed., May 14, 2008 and was inquiring about a fill, to which he told me he does not do them until we have been banded a minimum of 6-weeks. I told him that I am eating more than 4oz, that I am eating more like 10-12oz and it worries me.

He asked what I was eating and about my Protein shakes, which I make regularly or I go to smoothie king and have them make me a low carb high protien one. Also about my Vitamin intake, which I adhere to.

He told me that as long as I am losing weight, which I have lost 3 more lbs since last week, then I am fine. He said we would discuss a fill on my June 2 appointment when it has been 6 weeks.

No worries, you are not the only one in ths boat. Figure out what you are eating and try elimanating some of it. I have found myself eating all day and it makes me feel like a cow, but I am steadily losing weight. So try this if it will help and give the second fill a couple of days. I have heard it can take up to 3-4 fills before it works for you. EVeryone is different. There is a lady who works with my fiance who had hers done 10 months ago and is just now going in for her first fill while I am needing one at 6weeks post op.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your second fill!!!

Krys

Be very careful with Smooties at Places like Smoothie King. Some of those Smooties have as many as 1500 Calories in one !!! I have a handy book i carry in my purse that lists calories of fast food. Sometimes things you think r ok for you are not. Smooties are one of them .

On the "good side" a Small Smoothie will have 300 calories. Jamba juice too . they are just as bad.

Honestly I would have RAN the hell out of your docs office if he would have given you a fill at 2.5 weeks post op . Your still healing.

Standard fills are 6 weeks post op . Sometimes docs will do it at 5 weeks But not normally .

I know right now it seems like you eat a lot . But this is how I explain it . Post op I could eat about 1/2 of what i could eat before surgery . After my fill I could eat about 1/2 of that.

If your worried about calories to go Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople and track your calorie intake. to the Original Poster , believe it or not sometimes not eating ENOUGH can cause your weight loss to stall.

When i was a few weeks post op it felt like I was eating ALOT and I was not losing , I tracked my intake I was only eating 800 calories a day . My nutritionist told me ... eat MORE .. What ?? So i did I got in close to 1000 a day and that actually took work and i started to lose again . Now if i get under 1000 cals a day my weight loss will stall.

they call the phase after surgery until you get good restriction bandster hell for a reason . its because its hard !! Hang in there ya'll will be good !!

We all go through it.. The band does work . But until it can work ya have to do a little work yourself.

HTH

Mindy

I am getting my fills at TLC Edge. Bandster Hell is the right word! I just keep worrying I will be one of those it will take forever to work for. I know I have to work with it and not just rely on the bad itself but I have not lost any weight in the past month. Hopefully this one will work I will let ya'll know.

Like my doctor told me , your weight did not come on over night , dont expect it to come off over night. the band is a tool its not a magic wand .

I know its frustrating and it will take a little time. I suggested some things in another post. feel free to contact me as well if you would like some one to talk to one on one.

HTH

Mindy

are you doing any different after surgery, such as exercise? or keeping track of what you eat. you are still in the healing stage, and you have done really well. an average of 4.5 pounds per week, you should be proud of your self.

I have not been able to have my first fill yet due to infection at the port site :-( Yes, its a stuggle during this phase until you have some restriction - my dietician and surgeon told me this usually takes around 3 fills.

In the meantime, I am continuing to lose weight by carefully tracking my food and calories at 1200 per day. No matter how hungry I am, I'm determined to not gain any of the weight I've lost so far since my surgery.

Coltonwade: I comlpetely understand about the watching the calories in the smoothies and I have one of Smoothie Kings Calories Charts I carry with me. The shake I get from them is a Low Car High Protein Shake that has 280 Calories for a 20oz shake, 7 carbs and, well shoot, I believe something like 35g Protein but do not quote me on that part. It is a large amount of protein in a 20oz shake, just do not recall the exact amount.

You are most def. right about the caloric intake though, as I was told to eat no less than 1000-1200 a day, anything less and my body would think it was starving and would start hording (sp) the food in all the nasty places I do not want it to go.

Thanks for the advice =)

Hopefull in Tx---I get fills at TLC Edge also---small world! Had surgery there in Plano--went super duper and awaiting fill next Thurs. Talked w/Dr.Kim about weight gain and he encouraged me to drink Isopure thru middle of day, 11-3, for 3-4 days . Hope this helps:)

Patches

I'm glad to read about the lack of weight loss. I'm 9 days post op and not losing and ounce. I was concerned about the lack of calories when I saw my menus for after, but didn't question it. I see the dietician next week, and maybe by then she'll help me with eating more. I"m sure I'm under 1000 calories, and have always heard you won't lose weight that way, but never really believed it!

I'm also worried about how I'll control my eating before I feel restriction. I'm not there yet physically, but my eyes see certain things and my heart just takes a leap. Anything I have around the house that gets to me gets taken to work and given out. Today I took an entire large concession sized box of 1 oz bags of peanuts to work. My husband might eventually eat them, but I could not face them anymore. I've thrown out a lot, too. I'm not a selfish person, but for now my family is just going to have to do without junk food in the house. Sounds like this won't get better for quite a while. At least I can be prepared.

I'm glad to read about the lack of weight loss. I'm 9 days post op and not losing and ounce. I was concerned about the lack of calories when I saw my menus for after, but didn't question it. I see the dietician next week, and maybe by then she'll help me with eating more. I"m sure I'm under 1000 calories, and have always heard you won't lose weight that way, but never really believed it!

I'm also worried about how I'll control my eating before I feel restriction. I'm not there yet physically, but my eyes see certain things and my heart just takes a leap. Anything I have around the house that gets to me gets taken to work and given out. Today I took an entire large concession sized box of 1 oz bags of peanuts to work. My husband might eventually eat them, but I could not face them anymore. I've thrown out a lot, too. I'm not a selfish person, but for now my family is just going to have to do without junk food in the house. Sounds like this won't get better for quite a while. At least I can be prepared.

For those of you who are 6 weeks post op PLEASE remember one thing ...

the first 6 weeks is about HEALING NOT WEIGHT LOSS.

I do NOT know why Docs do not emphasis this more than they do . But You should not be worrying about weight loss right now , you need to worry about healing and recouping from surgery . Once you get your fill worry about weight loss !!! IF you lose post op its a bonus and be happy if you do not , its OK . Your recovering from a surgery !!!

So do not be disappointed that your not losing weight 9 days post op !

Mindy

Thanks, Mindy. To be fair to my bariatric center, they HAVE emphasized that. I just can't seem to get my head around taking in so little and not losing. It's so different from the last 35 years of dieting experiences. I feel like my body is doing something different, and I thought I knew it well. But I was told many, many things to help me heal better and faster that I've never had explained in other surgeries. Usually I would feel like hell yet, but since I feel so good I guess I forget how short a time it's been. The Protein is a big one, oxygen the whole time I was at the hospital, sticking strictly to the menus I've been given, both for weeks before, and after. Sometimes I feel like I haven't eaten anything I like in forever, but I also know that I will get past all that. I just got off the treadmill-and know that it's for health, not weight loss that I'm doing that. So in my case I just needed a reminder. I appreciate it. I'm sure in a couple of years I'll look back and laugh at myself for complaining that I haven't lost anything in 9 days!