Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hysterectomy, anyone?

Has anyone had a hysterectomy? I'm considering one and looking for information about recovery times, post-op, etc.

Hi GadgetLady,

I had one about 2.5 years ago I had a lot of problems of course that lead to that decision. But it honestly was the best thing I could do for myself.

If you have is done through your stomache there is pain and soreness and of course a longer healing time. On the other hand having it done vaginally ( which I had)... I had no pain, no discomfort, no bleeding at all. It was very uneventful for me, thankfully.

I was in the hospital 1 full day and was off work for 8 weeks... depending on your job responsibilities you could go back in half that time. My doc said I could go back after 3 weeks but since I hated that job I took the whole 8 weeks !

Woke up with a catherer, not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be... was not even uncomfortable....

Good luck and I hope this helps

Hi, there is a good blog where women exchange a lot of information about hysterectomy at Hysterectomy - the Experts Speak Out

There's also an important video that explains what changes in a woman's body when a hysterectomy is performed. You can watch the video at hysterectomy alternatives and aftereffects, consequences, support, HERS Foundation, Hysterectomy Educational Resources and Services.

Hi GadgetLady,

I had one about 2.5 years ago I had a lot of problems of course that lead to that decision. But it honestly was the best thing I could do for myself.

If you have is done through your stomache there is pain and soreness and of course a longer healing time. On the other hand having it done vaginally ( which I had)... I had no pain, no discomfort, no bleeding at all. It was very uneventful for me, thankfully.

I was in the hospital 1 full day and was off work for 8 weeks... depending on your job responsibilities you could go back in half that time. My doc said I could go back after 3 weeks but since I hated that job I took the whole 8 weeks !

Woke up with a catherer, not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be... was not even uncomfortable....

Good luck and I hope this helps

Thanks, Lana24. Everyone I know who's ever had one says it's the best thing they could do. Both my mom and my grandmother have had them, but of course they didn't have them vaginally, which is what I'm looking to do. I don't want to be cut open ever again LOL!

When you say you were in one full day, you mean you had surgery in the am and were released the next am, right?

No pain, no discomfort, no bleeding -- that's what I'm aiming for! Why did you have to be off a minimum of 3 weeks to recover? I own my own business so I really have to be able to work, but it can be as simple as a computer and a phone, which I expect I could do easily. Catheters don't bother me one iota.

And then there's something I didn't think of until you mentioned a 3-8 week recovery time: when were you able to resume sexual relations? The toughest thing about childbirth for me was waiting the prescribed 6 weeks afterwards! That's something they never told me about.

Hi, there is a good blog where women exchange a lot of information about hysterectomy at Hysterectomy - the Experts Speak Out

There's also an important video that explains what changes in a woman's body when a hysterectomy is performed. You can watch the video at hysterectomy alternatives and aftereffects, consequences, support, HERS Foundation, Hysterectomy Educational Resources and Services.

Thanks, Nora. I'll take a look at those later tonight when I have some time and my kids aren't around.

I had one in 2006. I had several large fibroids that were pressing on my kidneys and causing kidney problems. I know it sounds very strange. I was cut along the bikini line.....recovery was longer than the band, but even at 260 pounds and a smoker, I was ready to go back to work in less than 3 weeks. I had a doc note for 6 weeks but I was bored to death at home............

I LOVE having no periods, and the orgasms are much better when you dont have to wonder about untimely pregancy.........

Hi gadgetlady:

I had a full hysterectomy back in 2004. I had the vaginal kind. I had an incision in my belly button and all the rest of the cutting was through my vagina. I was in the hospital two nights and came home on day 3.

I recommend that you think long and hard about hanging onto your ovaries. By having everything removed I went into instant menopause with horrible hot flashes. My sister kept her ovaries and didn't have the hot flashes issue that I had.

Please talk to your doctor about the choices.

Recovery was easy, similar to the lap band, not much pain at all.

Good luck.

Sue

I recommend that you think long and hard about hanging onto your ovaries. By having everything removed I went into instant menopause with horrible hot flashes. My sister kept her ovaries and didn't have the hot flashes issue that I had.

My mom kept her ovaries but thought due to the surgery that she would escape the hot flashes. Along they came, years later . . .

Gadgetlady

I had a total hysterectomy 2 years ago. I had wanted it done vaginally, unfortunately the mass was too big, so it was abdominal. I was admitted on a Monday to the OR suite, and discharged Wed morning. The worst part (the absolute worst) is the first time you go to get up - the hospital will likely have you on a demerol pump - use it! After the first 2 times of getting up, it is easier.

The pain was for me far more than the lapband..for the lapband I didn't have any drugs or even a tylenol post op. For they hyst I declined the drugs on discharge (the doc prescribed demerol but I didn't take it); I used a regular tylenol for about one day. NOTE: I have a very high pain threshold; I doubt before the hyst I had ever taken a drug for any pain including multiple previous surgeries. Everyone's pain tolerance is different!

I was walking up and down the stairs at home the day I came home, and walking around the block within a week...slowly, but I was walking. I could have been back to work within 3 weeks, but I opted to stay home longer given the hour long commute each way, and I felt tired, not sore, but tired by early afternoon...nodding off at the desk is never a good way to impress the boss!

Good luck.

Thanks, Lana24. Everyone I know who's ever had one says it's the best thing they could do. Both my mom and my grandmother have had them, but of course they didn't have them vaginally, which is what I'm looking to do. I don't want to be cut open ever again LOL!

When you say you were in one full day, you mean you had surgery in the am and were released the next am, right?

No pain, no discomfort, no bleeding -- that's what I'm aiming for! Why did you have to be off a minimum of 3 weeks to recover? I own my own business so I really have to be able to work, but it can be as simple as a computer and a phone, which I expect I could do easily. Catheters don't bother me one iota.

And then there's something I didn't think of until you mentioned a 3-8 week recovery time: when were you able to resume sexual relations? The toughest thing about childbirth for me was waiting the prescribed 6 weeks afterwards! That's something they never told me about.

You can resume work and sexual relations when you feel up to it. My doc said I really only needed 3 weeks to recover and resume work but I was told to wait 6 weeks for sex (which I did). But I felt fine just 2 days into it all. I had an overnight stay in the hospital... you need to walk, pee and poop... they won't let you go until they know everything is working correctly.

Good luck

Has anyone had a hysterectomy? I'm considering one and looking for information about recovery times, post-op, etc.

I've known two women who have had hysterectomies because of fibroids. These growths were benign and the surgeons could have taken the slow route and opted excise the masses instead of a full-out removal of their container. Both women afterwards mourned the loss of their wombs claiming that the quality of their sexual pleasure was severely impaired.

As for myself, for many years when I was young I was intent on getting a hysterectomy. This was because I had always had bad problems with my period - cramps - and because I had no desire to have children. Why suffer the downside of being able to reproduce when I had no intention of do so? I thought. My doc at the time talked me out of this by telling me that my orgasms would be affected by the removal of my uterus. You see, during arousal it assists the area in becoming engorged and thus hyper-sensitive to orgasms.

Now, I am aware that this is a dissenting opinion but I thought that you might be interested in the information. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

I've known two women who have had hysterectomies because of fibroids. These growths were benign and the surgeons could have taken the slow route and opted excise the masses instead of a full-out removal of their container. Both women afterwards mourned the loss of their wombs claiming that the quality of their sexual pleasure was severely impaired.

As for myself, for many years when I was young I was intent on getting a hysterectomy. This was because I had always had bad problems with my period - cramps - and because I had no desire to have children. Why suffer the downside of being able to reproduce when I had no intention of do so? I thought. My doc at the time talked me out of this by telling me that my orgasms would be affected by the removal of my uterus. You see, during arousal it assists the area in becoming engorged and thus hyper-sensitive to orgasms.

Now, I am aware that this is a dissenting opinion but I thought that you might be interested in the information. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Green makes a very good point, sometimes it is hard to have an orgasm... just means more trying, more poking, more proding and if all else fails break out the big guns...(always works for me) LMAO

note: sometimes harder but never impossible! Good luck with the sexin'

OK, now I'm really glad I started this thread! Other than Lana, who indicates occasional trouble with orgasms (but not impossible), and green who knows women who have had sexual problems afterwards, does anyone here have any personal experience with sexual problems after a hysterectomy (that they're willing to talk about)? This might be a deal-breaker for me LOL!