Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sober 4 good?

OK No one told me that I would not be able to drink. Granted I'm not a lush but I do enjoy the occasional margarita. Last Friday I tried one and have never been so sick in all my life. Is this a permenant deal or just because I've only been banded a few weeks? I have to say I was truly mortified because I was in a social situation when this happened. Wish I had known:think

Hi Heather,

Being banded does not mean you can never drink again. Yesterday I had three glasses of champagne at an Easter function.

But you WILL have to learn how your body reacts to alcohol, which may be different than you were used to. Even if you haven't lost significant weight yet, drinking can affect you a lot faster just because you're taking in way fewer calories. So take it very slowly.

And, of course, keep in mind that alcohol is just empty calories that pile up very quickly, so drinking at all is pretty counterproductive to weight loss.

Heather - I have drinks once in a while, however you are only two weeks post-op. I think you need to wait until your band heals, I didn't have my first one till 6 weeks. I would definately take it easy until you are healed up.

Heather, I'm three months out and I've had a few drinks, including margaritas and screwdrivers. I think the secret is you have to sip and I do use a straw when I'm having a cocktail. I think we all have a food or in this case a liquid we don't do well with, I can't do potatoes, which is not a bad thing for me.

Here's to ya!

I'd watch anything with a lot of acid in it for a while. I couldn't even drink pineapple juice or eat tomatoes for awhile after being banded...

Now I drink wine or vodka cranberries if I go out and have no problems with either. I was drinking vodka sours but the sour has a little carbonation in it and that doesn't work now that I'm filled tighter.

Megan

Heather,

I am a Federal and State Certified Alcohol Detection Expert. I can tell you that there is no reason why you can't drink alcohol after banding....As long as your system tolerates it.

I was a hugh fan of beer but I don't handle the Carbonation anymore. So my second choice of a beverage, rum/diet coke is out for the same reason. So now I sip Rum or WHiskey on the rocks when I want to have a drink. But I don't drink much due to the calorie count in alcohol. Have to give up too much other stuff to make up for it and I don't find it worth it at this point.

Just keep in mind your blood alcohol level is determined by your weight...so as you lose weight the amount of alcohol that will make you drunk goes down also.

Type in BAC Calculator in google and click on one of the sites. Fill in the information as to what your drinking how many drinks you want the time you will spend drinking and your weight and it will give you an approx blood alcohol level. This is an approx as there are other factors that will determine how alcohol effects you but generally this estimate is very good.

Alexandra....how do you handle the bubbles in the champagne? Carbonated stuff is the one thing that I haven't even thought about trying. I have had some wine and a margarita (not at the same time) since being banded and it was fine, but it definitely affects me much sooner with a smaller quantity (a good thing) than before.

I had a drink not too long ago and boy did I feel tipsy with just one drink, You know whats bad, that I used to have an ocassional beer w/ my pizza or on a hot day and now I can't. I wasn't a beer drinker, but hot being able to have one makes me crave one even more...

Alexandra....how do you handle the bubbles in the champagne? Carbonated stuff is the one thing that I haven't even thought about trying. I have had some wine and a margarita (not at the same time) since being banded and it was fine, but it definitely affects me much sooner with a smaller quantity (a good thing) than before.

The carbonation in champagne doesn't bother me, for some reason. I guess the smaller bubbles are what make the difference. I've also had a beer or two over the last 18 months and they didn't bother me then, either. But the carbonation in soda or sparkling Water just kills me -- it's really uncomfortable.

I am very interested in how alcohal affects people with the band.

I am single, I like to go out and I like to get drunk. (less than once a month)

I can drink 3 long island ice t's and I am good to go..

I tried this last weekend.. I didnt get drunk at all..

I am confused about it.

I dont HAVE to do it, but I would still like to if I can..

Does the band ever make it so you drink less but get as drunk?

See the original post for this thread. Be careful and take it slow or you could end up VERY embarrassed:)

Nykee,

If your interested you can PM me and I'll tell you lots more about how you can figure out how to drink the way you want to..lol But I'd need info you may not want to post here.