Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please! Don't want my surgery cancelled!

ARGH! My kids were sick Friday (pink eye and sore throats) and they're taking antibiotic eyedrops. I've been fighting like the devil to stay healthy. I'm due to be banded tomorrow. No problem with pink eye (phew!), but my throat has really been hurting and looks pretty irritated to my untrained eyes. I hope they wouldn't cancel my surgery over it. (It's too late in the day to get out to my PCP today). If I don't have a fever (and I don't so far), do I have to mention this tomorrow morning? I'm guessing a fever would cancel surgery?? Otherwise would it be a go? I'm gonna have a sore throat anyway when they remove the breathing tube, right? Any advice? :confused2:

I'm not a doctor so this is strictly my opinion. I really don't think a sore throat should cancel surgery. I mean, a fever, the flu or something like that I can understand.

I definately tell them before the surgery. You really don't want to have any complications due to something you thought was trivial. I'd let them know. Good luck to you. Dianne

Always be honest with medica staff, especially when it comes to something like surgery. Being dishonest, even by omission, shouldn't even be on the radar of things to consider. Health and life are way too important.

A sore throat from a virus, and a sore throat from the breathing tube, are very different things. You can't really say "well it would be sore anyway." It's not about the sore, it's about the cause. And no, it's not necessarily going to be sore after surgery. Mine wasn't a bit sore with either surgery I've had in the lsat 2 years.

Thanks for your reponses. Those are really valid points. Maybe I'm just panicking? :sneaky: I will be sure to mention it tomorrow morning.

A friend just stopped by and looked at my throat (no, she's not a doctor, but she could be certified via WebMD!) -- she said it's very irritated but maybe it's drainage. Allergy season has begun here... I hope that's all it is. Thanks again!

When I read sore throat, my thoughts went to the fact that what always follows that with us is a cough. I would not have wanted to have anything that caused me to cough non stop following banding. Better to postpone by a couple of weeks than to tear port stitches, and maybe the band stitches, all due to coughing.

Sorry the timing has been so rough....I can imagine your disappointment....

Kat

I just wanted to follow up with you all. When I went to the surgery center, the anesthesiologist came over and asked how I was feeling. Told him about the sore throat, he looked, checked my temp, agreed it was drainage from allergies since I could barely breathe at all through my nose (and not at all if lying down). He ordered double the normal medicine they give to dry you up a little, and gave me a couple of rounds of maximum strength Afrin-type nasal spray, and I could literally feel my nasal passages opening up. It was great!

Surgery went well, they sprayed my throat with that numbing stuff, it stayed with me for hours, but then the pain came back. It's decreased a lot since I can breathe again. Anyway, I'm glad to be on the other side now and just begin the healing process. Thanks to all for your responses!

I swear by airborne... I don't care what people say about it.. That stuff works... disolve 2-tablets in Water and repeat every 4-hours trust me this works...

Chica,

I found your thread here like you said. My nose is stuffy but no sore throat and I will be sure to mention this to the doctors. I have some Afrin...so maybe I'll use some today and then let them give me some tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

Best of luck, Hazel-eyes! I'm glad you're on the mend. Let me know how it goes for you.... :smile2:

I think I would tell them when they ask me how I'm doing just before getting ready to do surgery...That way the medical people can access the situation in person and they probably know what better what is and is not so important. ( And you will already be there so the decision to postpone will be on them...and as inconvenient to them as to you...)