Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you like the size of your band?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you like the size of your band?

• No, I wish I could go UP a size
    • No, I wish I could go DOWN a size
    • I'm thrilled with my band size
    • Hell I'm just happy to be banded

What's the difference in band sizes? I have read about 4cc, 10 cc, and 14 cc size bands. Does the doctor choose the band size or does the patient have a say in the matter? Is it based on the size of your stomach? Does a smaller band offer better restriction or does it limit your restriction? Anyone with information regarding any of this please respond.

The only experience I have with this is reading various posts here on LBT...and with my own 4cc band. The way I understand it is that the doctor makes that decision when he gets "in there"....but seems like they tend toward a 10cc for higher BMI patients and 4cc for lower ones...Probably because of the amount of fat that surrounds the stomach. I was a lower BMI patient and, as I said, have a 4cc band which has worked very well for me. I have 2.8cc in it now with excellent restriction. I might just as well be happy with a 10cc band that has 8.8cc in it! Know what I mean? So I can't make that call as to whether or not I'd be 'happier' with a 10cc band. You just have to trust your surgeon's advice and experience on this one!

First off, I thought this thread was about an entirely different subject. Very catchy title and a good way to get people in here, lol.

As far as the size, that is something my surgeon decides once he gets in and actually sees ones internal organs.

Hi:

This subject was brought up at my last lap band support group meeting. The surgeons in my group (two experienced surgeons) recently changed to only using the larger bands. They said that they used to use the smaller bands on most women, and always used the larger band on men. Then, there was a period of about three weeks that they had to switch bands for three people because the small band was too tight before they were even filled. I think they were following the inamed protocal and based on their experience have recently changed to using just the larger bands. They said the larger bands require alot more fills and adjustments for the patients to get restriction, but you can always make a band tighter, but an unfilled band cannot be made looser.

I have the small band and I'm glad that I do. I think that if I'd had the ability to eat more I would have.

Sue

Thank you all for the information. I am scheduled for March 20, 2008. I have all kinds of questions running through my head and I am on this site everyday reading posts and blogs. By the way Susan4794, I loved the advice you gave the newly banded person that wants her band removed after only seven days. You were very kind and informative. Sue Magoo, thanks for teliing me about what those doctors said. TerriDoodle, thanks for that visual picture of the 8.8 cc in a 10 cc - that does make sense to me. I have a high BMI (I'm ashamed to say it is 50) so I may be considered for having a larger band anyway based on what I am reading here. Of course I will ask my doctor how he makes that decision. Thanks to all who took part in my poll. As for those of you who thought this thread was about "something else".... well I'll try to do better next time!! :lol: dirty minds... :)

There seems to be a move to more and more of the larger bands. I don't have any real information, but I would guess that the larger bands would allow your doctor to fine tune your fill levels better. I had a small 4 cc band in October 2007, and I think I am just about at my sweet spot with 1.9 after two fills.

My surgeon as far as I understand uses the 10cc or the 14cc depending on the patient. I have the smaller 10cc band, but he said it is the same band he'd use on a 300 pound man. So I guess the larger 14 cc would be used for someone larger than 300 pounds.

It would make sense that I need more fill to get my band tighter than someone that started at 300 pounds. This is how they get the band to fit each person best.

Oh well, as long as we all get to the end of the road, does it matter how big or small the car is?

The only experience I have with this is reading various posts here on LBT...and with my own 4cc band. The way I understand it is that the doctor makes that decision when he gets "in there"....but seems like they tend toward a 10cc for higher BMI patients and 4cc for lower ones...Probably because of the amount of fat that surrounds the stomach. I was a lower BMI patient and, as I said, have a 4cc band which has worked very well for me. I have 2.8cc in it now with excellent restriction. I might just as well be happy with a 10cc band that has 8.8cc in it! Know what I mean? So I can't make that call as to whether or not I'd be 'happier' with a 10cc band. You just have to trust your surgeon's advice and experience on this one!

I love my doc, and he judges band size by the individual's "inside" needs.

My starting weight was 367# with BMI of 59 and I am perfectly fine with 2.7cc in my 4cc band. I have lost 120# in less than a year.

Good luck and great health to everyone- no matter what size it is ...

IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE TOOL, THAT MATTERS... IT'S HOW YOU USE IT. lol:tongue::cool::eek::lol::angry::thumbup::w00t::thumbup:

I love my doc, and he judges band size by the individual's "inside" needs.

My starting weight was 367# with BMI of 59 and I am perfectly fine with 2.7cc in my 4cc band. I have lost 120# in less than a year.

Good luck and great health to everyone- no matter what size it is ...

IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE TOOL, THAT MATTERS... IT'S HOW YOU USE IT. lol:Dancing_wub::eek::Dancing_sorry::tt2::sad::thumbup::wub::smile2:

HOW FUNNY!!!

IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE TOOL, THAT MATTERS... IT'S HOW YOU USE IT. lol:lol:tongue.gif:):tt2::drool::thumbup::wub::sneaky:

Now that's funny!

My surgeon as far as I understand uses the 10cc or the 14cc depending on the patient. I have the smaller 10cc band, but he said it is the same band he'd use on a 300 pound man. So I guess the larger 14 cc would be used for someone larger than 300 pounds.

It would make sense that I need more fill to get my band tighter than someone that started at 300 pounds. This is how they get the band to fit each person best.

Oh well, as long as we all get to the end of the road, does it matter how big or small the car is?

I have the 14 size band and im not 300 lbs..