Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bathing Suits?!

Show of hands, who has tried on bathing suits since losing weight?

I think it's the idea I had as a size 30 that when I got to a size 18 that there would be more choices (which there are) and that automatically equals a better ability to dress (which it doesn't). It is because either the suits are vampish, way expensive like $90, printed with bright giant flowers or matronly.

All I want is a black suit that's not got leg holes cut up to my ribs, that's not so deeply cut in the front you see the swell at the top of my stomach, that doesn't tug or dig and doesn't have a granny skirt that's hard as hell to swim in. And I don't want to pay two arms for it either.

It was easier at times to buy a tent, when the only concern was is there enough material here to keep me covered than it is to find stuff that fits. I know much of it is my oddly shaped body and also this image of me at 18 as a size 18 and me at 39 as a size 18. The intervening years were not kind.

And it certainly doesn't help that it's January and 15 degrees outside. The suits are few and far between, but I'm taking the DD to an indoor swimming pool and my old suit is way too big.

Show of hands, who has tried on bathing suits since losing weight?

I think it's the idea I had as a size 30 that when I got to a size 18 that there would be more choices (which there are) and that automatically equals a better ability to dress (which it doesn't). It is because either the suits are vampish, way expensive like $90, printed with bright giant flowers or matronly.

All I want is a black suit that's not got leg holes cut up to my ribs, that's not so deeply cut in the front you see the swell at the top of my stomach, that doesn't tug or dig and doesn't have a granny skirt that's hard as hell to swim in. And I don't want to pay two arms for it either.

It was easier at times to buy a tent, when the only concern was is there enough material here to keep me covered than it is to find stuff that fits. I know much of it is my oddly shaped body and also this image of me at 18 as a size 18 and me at 39 as a size 18. The intervening years were not kind.

And it certainly doesn't help that it's January and 15 degrees outside. The suits are few and far between, but I'm taking the DD to an indoor swimming pool and my old suit is way too big.

If you have the time to wait, try the online stores like womans view, romans, or lane bryant. Great selection and prices!

Well, I think my avatar tells my story, lol.

But you're right, its harder now to buy a suit than it was before. Before I knew I'd look disgusting, and of porridge like consistency, lol. Now its just possible I can look nice in the right suit.

But boy, the variety you get. The top has to be just so to accommodate my ah, "mature" boobies, I need bottoms that arent up to my darn navel like nanna pants because I'm nobody's nanna for many years yet, but arent too low either, like I dont want to have a Brazillian to wear the things. Definitely no ring trims or tie sides becuase the bulges they create are not a good look. No grabbing off the rack in young surf type shops. Good lining, good quality fabric, the right pattern to minimise, the right colour to flatter the skin tone, check it wont ride up, does it come in separates becuase my bottom half is larger than my top, and having ANY breasts makes buying a bikini top hard, triangle styles, ugh, look out below! Boy short pants, contrary to popular belief do NOT hide saddlebag thighs, rather they advertise them to the ENTIRE world and make you look, at a conserative guess, a metre wide across the hips. Briefer pants and putting it all on show actually works better for some unfathomable reason.

I'm too tall for most one pieces, they head right up my bum and are almost irretrievable becuase of the length of my body and strangely, I've actually found that shy as I am about my less than firm tummy, overall I look better and more balanced if I wear a two piece that shows it, rather than a tankini style thing.

Phew. I bought one, the one in my avatar. Not planning on another for a while, lol.

You might want to try Land's End. They tend to have nice conservative suits for around $40. I know my mom just ordered a plain black one for her Water aerobics class. I'm not sure what sizes they carry, but I know she's about a 12 or 14.

I saw some great ones in Kohls... they had the tankinis (which are like shorts, with a tank top) I think they are great. They are expensive... but, they are on sale. Try it out... I think you'll like it!

I saw the one's at Kohls this weekend too!! I was drooling wanting to try one on. I'm not to goal and it's too many months away for me to be getting a bathing suit now. It would likely be too big by the time I would want to where it.

My biggest issue is that I'm large chested. Therefore I need LIFT!!! I must by separates or I'll have baggy booty syndrome.

Good luck on the bathing suit hunt!

wombat

I have to say that this does worry me. I love Lands end suits. They always have VERY good quiality. But Lately I have had the Tankini. I do alter mine and probably always will Shorten the arm so my big boobs dont fall out and tighten the elastic under the boobs. but the bottoms I can just get a smaller size...and I do have a tendency to tck the top in when I go to the ocean or wave pool because I dont need to have the top around my neck lol. That is why I love the Tankini. but I do miss lands end suits.

I agree, Lands End!!! I have gotten bathing suits from them and other places and by far Lands End were the best! Especially for us "not quite size 5 gals!" LOL

I just recently went to disney with my kids and had no swimsuit i was a 24 before and now need a 16-18. Target has cute suits for less than 35.00. I bought a tankini because my chest is alot smaller than my rear end and you can mix and match. I love the one i bought. In the past i have paid great prices for swim wear but remember we are going down and i don't want to waste money just to be out of in 6 months.

good luck with the search

beth

I might try Target then. I really don't want to order on line just because I'm bad about returning things and this is going to take some trial and error.

Thanks gals for all the suggestions. You're great.

Not only tried one on but bought one too right before surgery, I wanted to do Water aerobics and I needed one. Well I am proud to say that my size 22 suit is hanging off my boobs and my butt. I will soon need to replace it.....that is awesome since I ordered it online and only paid $17.95 for it!!

Woo Hoo! that is awsome!

My little NSV is My Bra is not cutting into my back leaving a welt any more!

*happy Dance*

I have the problem that as I've gotten smaller (size 14) my boobs are still huge- saggy, but huge and so every swimsuit I've tried, they've popped out; finally found one on eddiebauer.com - a slimsuit tankini in a D cup that holds them in.

I bought some board shorts to wear over the bottom since the skin is hanging a bit.

this and bra stuff are the most frustrating parts of losing weight. I'd rather have this problem than be too fat to want to wear a bathing suit but its still a challenge

good luck finding a suit, Julie!