Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best way to get protein

I use a pure isolate whey Protein Powder. I add it to my cooking. Bulksupplements.com has an excellent one with no flavor!

I live on low fat string cheese and oikos triple zero yogurt. I have it for Breakfast every day and sometimes lunch too. I don't know why I haven't gotten tired of them after a year but I still look forward to my cheese and yogurt lol. Do you find that you eat a lot of the same food now? I used to get bored with foods and change often but after the surgery I eat the same foods happily and don't want to change. It's a weird side effect of the surgery for me at least. Grapes are my other food I live on but that's not the Protein food you were looking for.

3 minutes ago, Hope4NewMe said:

I live on low fat string cheese and oikos triple zero yogurt. I have it for Breakfast every day and sometimes lunch too. I don't know why I haven't gotten tired of them after a year but I still look forward to my cheese and yogurt lol. Do you find that you eat a lot of the same food now? I used to get bored with foods and change often but after the surgery I eat the same foods happily and don't want to change. It's a weird side effect of the surgery for me at least. Grapes are my other food I live on but that's not the Protein food you were looking for.

Yes!! I tend to stick to the same foods. I'm not sure (for me anyway) is:

1. Fear of food effects

2. Not losing the weight

3. My hatred of cooking

4. I just know I like what I'm eating or

5 A combo of all of them!

Of course I'm only 6 weeks out sooo we shall see, but, to be honest I've always been a picky eater (I almost died as a toddler because I was picky) - I just know what I like!

At almost 2 years out I can almost eat anything. Some meals are always the same. Breakfast is always Greek yogurt and berries. My lunch is usually a bit like pick and mix - a bit of a few things, Which could be a selection of these, Smoked salmon, deli meats, burrata, cashew nuts, walnuts, blue stinky cheese, any fruit, tuna, boiled egg or any left over from a previous meal. The evening meal is usually food cooked from scratch for the family with carbs that I can not fit in my stomach yet, casseroles, roasts, pies, stews. I eat what I can. Later in the day I either eat my meals, left overs or have a Protein Bar or a Protein yogurt. My protein is about 80 grams a day now and my calories are between 1200 and 1500

To be honest I hate protein...it's my least favorite thing I have to eat. I do a lot of egg white scrambles and Protein bars. I just really don't like meat very much.

Frozen Yoghurt. I have a Ninja Creami and it's been the best thing ever. I have one or two serves (170mls a serve) every day. Always one at night, sometimes for breakfast too. They're usually at least 23 grams of Protein a serve, up to a whoppimg 30 grams, depending on the brand of yoghurt I use and flavour. My faves lately are good old vanilla and Malted Milk.

I often have at least one low carb wrap with cheese a day too, that's around 15 grams of protein. Lately I've also been adding salsa before heating it up, nom nom.

I'm a vegetarian and it can be hard to get my meals anywhere over 12 grams of protein, so the frozen yoghurt and wrap help a great deal and are delicious,

I'm consistently getting 80 to 90 grams of protein a day at 21 weeks post sleeve. Yesterday was 101 grams! I've had the Creami for a couple months now I think.

Edited by CarolineLittle

I get mine from real food. Haven’t touched a Protein Shake or Protein powder since my purée stage began. They were disgusting & I didn’t want to spend my life drinking any of my meals.

Of course it’s easier to meet your protein goals as you progress & your meal size increases & additional protein via a shake may be needed (I ate a yoghurt with 20g to boost mine & often still do).

I breakfast on oats with seeds & blueberries made on milk. lunch is often mostly protein like prawns, calamari, yoghurt with seeds, savoury egg muffins, (gone off chicken tenders & omelettes at the moment). dinner is meat & vegetables. My Snacks can be any combination of cheese, multi grain crackers with liverwurst or labneh, peanut paste, nuts, Jerky & I have a protein bar most nights to top up my protein. I used to make a chia pudding as a night time top up but wanted a change (mmm, I might make some today). I often add barley, chickpeas or lentils to any Soups, stews or mince based dishes I make for extra protein too.

8 hours ago, CarolineLittle said:

Frozen Yoghurt. I have a Ninja Creami and it's been the best thing ever. I have one or two serves (170mls a serve) every day. Always one at night, sometimes for breakfast too. They're usually at least 23 grams of Protein a serve, up to a whoppimg 30 grams, depending on the brand of yoghurt I use and flavour. My faves lately are good old Vanilla and Malted Milk.

I often have at least one low carb wrap with cheese a day too, that's around 15 grams of Protein. Lately I've also been adding salsa before heating it up, nom nom.

I'm a vegetarian and it can be hard to get my meals anywhere over 12 grams of protein, so the frozen yoghurt and wrap help a great deal and are delicious,

I'm consistently getting 80 to 90 grams of protein a day at 21 weeks post sleeve. Yesterday was 101 grams! I've had the Creami for a couple months now I think.

I've thought about buying a Creami, but, after reading the reviews and looking at that pictures I worry it wouldn't be worth the $200+ price tag...how often do you use your Creami? I've notice the time line for the Creami lasting is about 5 months plus all the reviews with burned counter tops.. it makes me worry! Do you think it's worth it?

4 hours ago, BlondePatriotinCDA said:

I've thought about buying a Creami, but, after reading the reviews and looking at that pictures I worry it wouldn't be worth the $200+ price tag...how often do you use your Creami? I've notice the time line for the Creami lasting is about 5 months plus all the reviews with burned counter tops.. it makes me worry! Do you think it's worth it?

I use it every day, it's definitely worth the money and the best appliance I've bought this year. There's definitely a few bad stories out there but I think those instances are exceedingly rare. When things do go wrong Ninja seem to be very good at quickly replacing it from what I've read.

I still do a shake most days, but mainly because I drink Proffees so I figure I might as well get in a good dose of Protein in with my coffee - dual purpose. I love meats, tuna, eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese and Oikos yogurt. I also like adding in Catalina Crunch cereals into my yogurt which provides texture with a boost of protein and Fiber and no added sugar. Also so far love my Ninja creami.

Sometimes I throw in a protein Water - Protein2O. Also try to have high protein Snacks around when I want a bit of something extra or can't quite stomach a full meal - Quest chips, Quest crackers, Built Bars, Wilde chicken chips. I don't have them daily, but I like to keep them around to travel with so I always have a healthier option on hand.

What stage are you at OP and what surgery did you have?

I had a sleeve 22 months ago and from a few months post up I have got my Protein mainly from meat/dairy (CHEESE but also yoghurt)/pulses/nuts. Deli meat is my go to snack even now.

I often cook a little more meat than I need for family dinners and keep the leftovers in the fridge for easy grabbing.

I make a point of eating nuts and seeds absolutely every day, even if small quantities, because I think they have loads of micronutrients that it's hard to get from elsewhere.

I haven't done Protein Shakes or bars or added powders in forever but I'm sure they're a godsend if you're having difficulty in the longer term with getting your protein in - I just don't need them because of my sliced turkey addiction, LOL.