Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 21 days post op and have lost 16-18 lbs (depends on the day) but I’ve been kinda hanging at that weight for about 5 days. My doc said they was normal but I’m wondering as this is a revision if I’ll keep losing or is that it? I’m down 36-38 lbs from before I started the 2 week pre-op Optifast diet. Never intended this for more weight loss just to stop the GERD but now that I’ve had some I want more. I’m at about 750 calories a day now on the purée phase. Just short walks around the neighborhood. I get pretty tired during the day and nap at least once a day. Water and Protein are on target.

Thanks for any insight?

1 hour ago, Dan1131 said:

I’m 21 days post op and have lost 16-18 lbs (depends on the day) but I’ve been kinda hanging at that weight for about 5 days. My doc said they was normal but I’m wondering as this is a revision if I’ll keep losing or is that it? I’m down 36-38 lbs from before I started the 2 week pre-op Optifast diet. Never intended this for more weight loss just to stop the GERD but now that I’ve had some I want more. I’m at about 750 calories a day now on the purée phase. Just short walks around the neighborhood. I get pretty tired during the day and nap at least once a day. Water and Protein are on target.

Thanks for any insight?

I would say that is a stall. I think most people here had that around the third week post-op. Try not to stress about it. Stalls are normal

Yeah, once I stopped the liquid diet at about 3 weeks I stalled too. The nutritionist told me that it was my body balancing things out adjusting Water weight and things like that. I kept losing inches even though the scale wasn't moving for about 2 weeks.

Edited by naynay77

My "3-week stall" started at week 2 and lasted a month. Just keep doing what you're doing and trust the process. This is the first of MANY stalls that you will have. If the scale drives you crazy, you're on it too much.

Thx everyone. I’ll just keep doing what I am doing and hope the weight loss will kick in again in a week or two

Really, why would you trust your Doc? Am I right?

I'm willing to say it is a stall, but I'm not a Doctor, but as a stranger on the internet my opinion obviously carries more weight.

Is it not so?

Good luck,

Tek

On 02/02/2023 at 15:03, The Greater Fool said:

Really, why would you trust your Doc? Am I right?

I'm willing to say it is a stall, but I'm not a Doctor, but as a stranger on the internet my opinion obviously carries more weight.

Is it not so?

Good luck,

Tek

Really?!!! The whole point of this forum is to get advice and opinions from people have been down this road before. I don’t call my doc for every little thing they have far more important things to worry about than if I’ve lost a pound or two this week. Why be so snarky?

12 hours ago, Dan1131 said:

Really?!!! The whole point of this forum is to get advice and opinions from people have been down this road before. I don’t call my doc for every little thing they have far more important things to worry about than if I’ve lost a pound or two this week. Why be so snarky?

On rereading my post it does read snarky. For this I apologize. I should have put some winky faces and LOLs. It struck me funny that you talked with your Doc then came here. Nothing wrong with it, I do get the need. Again, apologies.

By all accounts stalls seem to be bothersome. Personally I never experienced one because I was too large for home scales. I only was able to weigh at monthly follow-ups. It was a blessing in disguise. I learned we don't need a scale to follow our plans. My Doc was on board with the concept, he never brought up my weight loss unless I did. He was interested in how the plan was going, how I was feeling, my mental attitude, any issues or concerns.

Good luck,

Tek

On 2/2/2023 at 1:05 AM, Dan1131 said:

Thanks for any insight?

Thank God I found this post. I’ve been feeling guilty for wondering why my weight loss has stopped. My revision date was January 11 and have been stalled since January 31. The doc told me that the weight loss will be slower this time around and honestly, im feeling good health wise. Im not complaining but good to know its a bit common.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:22 PM, Jeanniebug said:

My "3-week stall" started at week 2 and lasted a month. Just keep doing what you're doing and trust the process. This is the first of MANY stalls that you will have. If the scale drives you crazy, you're on it too much.

Thank you , needed this.

I'm so happy I found this topic, it's a relief!

Before finding this topic I just assumed it was my body/metabolism/stomach (I refuse to call it a "pouch" - It's still my stomach) adjusting to pureed/soft food after 5 weeks of liquid. I'm glad to see my instincts were right and the stall is normal!

I do understand why people worry though, to go through all this and then not see any movement on the scale the last 10 days after only being post op since August 21 can make anyone anxious. You can know the science behind it, but, its still anxiety causing.

Thank you everyone for your wisdom and personal experiences on your weight loss journeys!

I think 21days post op and losing 16-18lbs is great!

I just learned in this community that revision surgery have slowly weight loss. My doctor and me doing my own research never came up till I found this site.

i am also feeling that I am having multiple stalls. Before pre op diet I lose 15lbs on my own, then during pre op diet I lost 8 lbs on the first week of liquid diet and stall for one week have no weight loss. Then went into surgery while having the stall.

After the surgery, I gained 7 lbs of Water retention from the iv I got from the hospital. It took a few days and get back to my surgery day weight, then I loss about 5 lbs in a week. so almost 2 weeks after surgery only loss 5 lbs.

So 16-18lbs is great! I am jelly here. But like many said everyone is different, although it’s hard, but I am trying to positive.

I am 100% along with you all…3 weeks stall over here too. My surgery date was January 22. I’m trying to do some positive self-talk. As my husband always tells me…be kind to my wife.

It appears I'm also experiencing a 3 week stall. At 2 weeks post op (surgery 1/24/24) I had lost 10 lbs. It's now 3 weeks post op and I'm still the same weight. I sure hope this stall doesn't last a month! I have been discouraged a bit, I think, because any time I've tried to lose weight in the past it has been agonizingly slow and not permanent. I had hoped that I'd lose faster after VSG and I found myself thinking this morning that I did this drastic and permanent thing just to have the same result I have always had - no weight loss for weeks at a time despite my best efforts. Reading about this "infamous" stall gives me a little hope, although I don't understand how I'm not losing weight when I'm consuming 500 calories a day or less, mostly Protein and no fats/sugar. I appreciate the topic and the comments, and I'm hoping the stall breaks soon!