Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why so many sleeves

Hi everyone!! I am so curious I am dying for bypass info videos chats all the things, but it seems like so many sleeves. Why is that? I think Bypass is my best option and I just got my surgery date for 2/20. I do worry I have regrets about sleeve vs bypass. Can anyone tell me why you chose it and how it went? What was your weight loss like? n All I see is sleeve!

Sleeve is an easier surgery for doctors to perform and it's an easier recovery usually. I was back home the day of surgery and back to normal within a week or so. My surgeon recommended it over the bypass because if it wasn't successful there was still the bypass to do later, which is what ended up happening. I got severe GERD from the sleeve and ended up gaining some weight back. I just had the revision to bypass last month and wish I had just went straight to bypass a few years ago instead of doing the sleeve first. Sleeve recovery was simple and I lost 78 lbs in a year, then my gallbladder had to be removed, acid reflux/GERD got worse, and the weight gain started right after that. I didn't have acid/GERD issues before the sleeve. Recovery after bypass was harder for me, took me about a month to get my energy levels back up, but totally worth it so far. I took 3 weeks off work, but should have taken 4 weeks, but I work from home so I got through it. Congrats on getting your surgery date!

My daughter & I both had bypass. We both have GERD & that is the only way to go if you have GERD.

She started at 305 & lost 150 lbs & has kept it off for 4 years.
I started at 200 & have lost 70lbs & have kept it off for almost 6 years.
A lot of people have the sleeve revised to a bypass because of GERD.

What does your doctor recommend for you?

I can tell you my experience as someone who had bypass. My weight as of January 2022 was 245; on surgery day (May 13th, 2022) my weight was down to 223. As of today it's at 134. My height is 5'2.

The surgery itself went fine, but I had some issues with pain management (don't let that freak you out, it's very individualistic on how people experience pain). I was in the hospital for 3 days and released when I was able to keep a bit of broth down.

I found that walking around and heating pad helped with the gas, but it took quite a while for that feeling to go away.

A week out from my surgery I had to go to the ER because I couldn't keep more than an ounce of Fluid down and was dehydrated. 3 bags of fluids and a GI study later, they found there was still some internal swelling that was making it hard for me to meet any fluid/protein goals.

I followed the nutritionist advice and start the mornings with a warm drink, which does help. Now, all of these months later, I'm not able to eat much (once again, this is more the exception than the norm), but clearly the amount of food I've been able to consume is providing energy to get me through the day.

My sister also had bypass without complications and she lost 85 pounds in a year. She's been able to eat most things, though she's learned the hard way about dumping syndrome.

I have no regrets about my surgery and feel much healthier than I've felt. I've gone from a size 22 to a size 8. Something I never thought would happen.

Good luck on your surgery.

Thank you, everyone! My doctor's take was I could go either way, but Bypass is the ultimate when it comes to many patients that have sleeves and need a revision due to heartburn. In my mind, If I could do one surgery and not a possible two, I thought that was the wise decision for me. She and the NP there also mention so many people really do have bypass but realize that social channels its is full of sleeve advocates, which does isolate a whole large group. So I stuck with bypass, but I have to say mentally I struggle with "why" still. Am I missing info? I am not sure!?! I am not questioning the want and need for surgery just that I am choosing the right one :( I do have a hiatal hernia so back to leaning to the bypass more for that reason as well..

My doctor also said that if you go with Sleeve, if you need a revision, you have more options.

Bypass was once the gold standard of weight loss surgeries up until a few years ago, when sleeve took over. It's easier for surgeons to perform, it's cheaper, and a lot of people are afraid of the bypass. Thus, sleeve is currently the most popular weight loss surgery.

I went with bypass because I had GERD prior to surgery. Bypass usually improves if not outright cures GERD, whereas sleeve can make it worse (doesn't happen to everyone - and some people say their GERD even improved after getting sleeved, but the risk of having it get worse was too high for my comfort, so I chose bypass).

bypass is the stronger of the two surgeries, but sleeve is close. And yes, you have more options for revision after sleeve, but then, very few people who have bypass get theirs revised.

honestly, they both have their pros and cons. There are some health conditions (like GERD) that would make one surgery more appropriate for you than the other, but barring that, it really comes down to personal preference. They're both good surgeries and you'll find many examples on here of people who've been very successful with both.

I love my bypass and would choose it again if I had to make the choice today.

Edited by catwoman7

I was self-pay so I went with the Sleeve because it was cheaper and came with a lower complication risk. Being self-pay, any issues that arise due to the surgery also aren't covered under insurance so I wanted to make sure to go with the option that carried the lowest complication rate. In my experience it seems that bypass is the more dominant option for those that are severely overweight (think BMI 60+) and want the best chance at being able to lose most/all of their excess weight and maintain the loss.

As others have mentioned, the sleeve is cheaper and also a quicker surgery to do versus the RNY. The Mini Bypass (Omega Loop) that I got is also a quicker surgery to perform since there's one less intestinal join, but with similar benefits to the RNY. I had originally wanted the sleeve, but because of my pre-existing GERD, my surgeon advised me away from the sleeve and recommended the bypass instead. I am very happy with the choice and the results, and only regret not doing this sooner.

Recovery for the mini bypass was a few weeks, but I had a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time, so I had a double whammy of pain. First two weeks were pretty rough. But honestly, recovery was pretty smooth all things considered!

The main downside of the bypass is the lifelong supplements, but it's a part of my routine and as much as I dislike having to take a handful of pills every evening, it's only a small inconvenience.

I chose bypass because of a few reasons. Like many others I had bad GERD, but the other reason why that I’m naturally an impulsive binge eater / junk food addict. I didn’t feel the sleeve was the right tool long term to help me fight my demons.

Also, I was influenced by TV a little - Watching older DR Now with bypass v sleeve, just feels like bypass patients are more often successful v sleeve who can revert back so quickly to bad habits.

I chose bypass because of a few reasons. Like many others I had bad GERD, but the other reason why that I’m naturally an impulsive binge eater / junk food addict. I didn’t feel the sleeve was the right tool long term to help me fight my demons.

Also, I was influenced by TV a little - Watching older DR Now with bypass v sleeve, just feels like bypass patients are more often successful v sleeve who can revert back so quickly to bad habits.
I know with me my doctor felt the sleeve was the safest. I have many health issues and I'm not a spring chicken so to speak. Lol. He said he truly wanted to help me and knew the sleeve would be a success whereas the bypass..... I might not make it. No problem choosing for me. He's been a terrific Dr. Just got it done Feb 1st 2023. But we've been working towards this for over a year and a half. For me it's unusual to meet a Dr first time and not see judgement in their eyes because of your weight. His was just kindness. So when he told me in his opinion the sleeve was it, easy choice!

Sent from my SM-S901U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm not sure this is allowed but I have watched almost all of Dr. Cywes's videos on surgery. I found this video very informative. I did not get the bypass but after I saw this video, I am happy with the sleeve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6TOVd0LEbk