Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my blood pressure is ranging with the top number in the 90's and bottom number in the 60's. My surgeon isn't worried since I have no other symptoms but my "in nursing school" hubby doesn't like it at all. He's worried I'm going to pass out or something. Anyone else experience a drop in BP when they lost weight? I'm down 89lbs.i never had high BP to begin with. I used to joke with my doctor that if I came in and it was high get me to the ER ASAP because something is horribly wrong. Just wondering.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

As a retired nurse ,I think as long as you arent having any symptoms I wouldnt worry about it. Thats not really all that low. Make sure you are getting enough fluids.

I have really low blood pressure too, and my heart rate is in the low 50s most of the time. My surgeon isn't worried about it at all, neither is my PCP as long as I don't have any other symptoms that go along with it. My surgeon said to up my coffee and tea if I like those types of drinks (I do), make sure I am really hydrated and eat more salt (I like pink Himalayan salt). I think it is common and others will share their experiences like they did when I was very concerned and made a post about it.

It actually is quite common & for most it’s temporary.

I’ve never had an issue with my blood pressure, 120/80, regardless what I weighed. Though I did always have a tendency towards a low BP - a family thing - where it would drop & I’d get light headed, loss of vision at odd times. Now my BP is low all the time & I experience orthostatic hypotension (postural pressure drops) daily. (And a lower heart rate too.) The vision loss, slight throb in my head, is just part of my life when getting up (from sitting, lying & crouching/kneeling), doing too much, etc. I think carrying weight kept my BP at a healthy level & the low BP is actually normal for me. My GP isn’t too concerned. I guess because I manage it.

Keep your fluids up, add a little salt too your diet. Take your time getting up giving your heart a chance to get the blood back up to your head.

Edited by Arabesque

You're at the low end of normal. As stated, if you have no symptoms, rejoice! Your heart is having to work a lot less then it used to.

Note that it's pretty common for bariatric surgery patients to have lower than average BP. It happens because we're dropping fat so quickly. As we lose weight, there is less need for the blood volume you previously had, so you actually lose blood volume. (No, you don't bleed, it's absorbed naturally.) What does not drop as quickly are the size of your veins and arteries. They are bigger than normal because they are used to having to contain higher blood volume.

At this point, it's simple physics. Less Fluid in a closed system will be under lower pressure than more fluid.

For most people, this will adjust over time. Some people unfortunately do end up with hypotension, either temporarily or permanently.

If you do start having symptoms:

1. Make sure you stay hydrated.
  2. Up your salt intake, especially if you're not getting much. As you probably know, salt raises blood pressure. An increase in salt consumption might help. Do be careful however. For some people, this carries certain risks.
  3. Talk to your doctor -- especially if you are still on high BP meds, you probably need to stop them -- there are also treatments available for low blood pressure.

Should add after @SpartanMaker, that my GP did put me on a low BP med. They didn’t do anything. Also when I had my gall out last year they gave me a shot of ephedrine because they were worried at how low my BP was. My BP went up a little but within a few minutes it was back down to where it was. I told them not to worry it was just me.

I went through a spell of having low blood pressure and the doctor told me that there is no minimum low blood pressure, if you're asymptomatic. There's a "normal" range, but if you're not having symptoms, then there is no dangerous low level.

I had surgery several years ago. Every time I laid down, my BP would drop to 80/40, or something like that, and it would make the alarm go off. The nurse kept rushing in, but I was just fine. After 3 or 4 times of reducing the alarm threshold, she finally just turned it off. LOL!

So, as long as you feel fine, you're good.

I had high blood pressure before surgery. Typically the high number was in the 140-150's. with a Beats per minute of around 90 just sitting calm. Now post surgery my high blood pressure number is now typically 100 with my beats per minute resting at around 50-55. i was concerned so i asked and they said its fine as long as i am not having any symptoms. that its common for weight loss surgery.