Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG Experience; starting weight 205lbs

What has been your experience with going into surgery with a weight of 205lbs or under? My starting weight was 220 but I've lost 15 pounds pre op. I've heard people smaller will not loose any weight. Going into surgery smaller what is the recovery like?

(I am doing this surgery because I've tried everything to loose weight and live a better lifestyle)

I'm also interested to hear other low BMI weight loss surgery experiences! I am having VSG in 6 days and my starting weight (before liquid diet) is also 205.

I am 5’4” and was 200 lbs. when I got my sleeve in 2020. I got down to 146 and have pretty much maintained that weight for a year. I would love to lose another 10 lbs but, I confess, I don’t exercise quite as much as I could, and the nutritionist suggested light weight training, Someday…..

52 minutes ago, Elidh said:

I am 5’4” and was 200 lbs. when I got my sleeve in 2020. I got down to 146 and have pretty much maintained that weight for a year. I would love to lose another 10 lbs but, I confess, I don’t exercise quite as much as I could, and the nutritionist suggested light weight training, Someday…..

Thank you!! Was your journey hard and slow?

It took me about 17 months to lose 54 lbs. I didn't think it was hard. The restriction really worked for me and I haven't been tempted to eat between meals.

How low is low? How tall are you & what’s your BMI?

I was 200lbs but at only 5’3 my BMI was 35. I lost all my weight and more. Got to my goal in 6 months & lost another 11+kgs over the next 11 months or so. I maintained at about 49kgs for a year. I put on 2kgs in a month because of a necessary dietary change & a change of a med & have been sitting at about that 51kg for almost 10 months

There have been posters here who started with BMIs of less than 35 & had the surgery because of existing health issues & they were able to lose weight.

The main difference between people with higher starting weights & those with lower is that those at a higher weigh lose more quickly at first. But their rate of loss slow as they lose weight just like everyone else.

Recovery is an individual thing - just how your body reacts to the surgery & heals. Nothing really to do with your weight as such but existing health factors may influence your recovery. Some people who carry a lot of weight in their abdominal area sometimes struggle with more discomfort when getting up & down & generally moving as the weight around their tummy pulls at the internal & external surgical sites. A binder is often helpful as it supports the tummy & abdominal muscles.

43 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

How low is low? How tall are you & what’s your BMI?

I was 200lbs but at only 5’3 my BMI was 35. I lost all my weight and more. Got to my goal in 6 months & lost another 11+kgs over the next 11 months or so. I maintained at about 49kgs for a year. I put on 2kgs in a month because of a necessary dietary change & a change of a med & have been sitting at about that 51kg for almost 10 months

There have been posters here who started with BMIs of less than 35 & had the surgery because of existing health issues & they were able to lose weight.

The main difference between people with higher starting weights & those with lower is that those at a higher weigh lose more quickly at first. But their rate of loss slow as they lose weight just like everyone else.

Recovery is an individual thing - just how your body reacts to the surgery & heals. Nothing really to do with your weight as such but existing health factors may influence your recovery. Some people who carry a lot of weight in their abdominal area sometimes struggle with more discomfort when getting up & down & generally moving as the weight around their tummy pulls at the internal & external surgical sites. A binder is often helpful as it supports the tummy & abdominal muscles.

Thank you for your info! Very helpful and made me understand better. I am 5’2 and my BMI is 38.

Female, 5’5 and day of surgery I was 189.6 I got my surgery on 08/29. At my first appointment I weighed 220. I am currently 166.6 as of 10/07. I didn’t give myself a chance to recover because I was moving apartments(move out date 08/31). I had zero pain, only discomfort when the glue on incision was lifting. I think the pre-op diet and exercise routine helped tremendously for my recovery. I also eat a lot of chicken breast and Protein. I did eat a cheese burger once during my menses because I was feeling constipated- it helped me the next day to be relieved.

Hey there! I started with a lower BMI and had lots of success! I am 5’ 5”, started at 209. Within 6mo I was WNL and a year later I was about 145lbs & am happily staying there.

I have actually heard that lower BMI (30-35) has more long term success with the sleeve, in part because folks at that level tend to not have as many food addiction or unhealthy habits. There are some studies going on to demonstrate the success of lower BMI folks, with the hope that eventually insurance will cover lower BMIs more often. (I just eeked in at BMI of 35 at my highest- may have purposefully gained a few to do it.)

IMHO the trick is to track what you eat and have a balanced diet (not another low carb, highly processed fad nonsense diet that’s just going to fail long term.)

So, yes! Lower BMI patients absolutely have a ton of success. And potentially have greater long term success. So go for it! You will do great.

On 10/5/2022 at 3:41 PM, KRod6 said:

What has been your experience with going into surgery with a weight of 205lbs or under? My starting weight was 220 but I've lost 15 pounds pre op. I've heard people smaller will not loose any weight. Going into surgery smaller what is the recovery like?

(I am doing this surgery because I've tried everything to loose weight and live a better lifestyle)

I often cringe when writing on this forum. Their for some will criticize me for my weight loss journey when some people ask why I got the surgery. Do to my size. I'm 5 foot small fram. Lower b.m.i. I have had great results. I lost really slow have reached my goals plus some.

Healthier life style

I went down to 200lbs the day of surgery, I'm 3 weeks out & have lost 15lbs. I read a passage in my bariatric handbook that basically said, 'Your metabolic rate is higher when you weigh more, meaning you lose more doing less. Weighing less will slow that down. Essentially, the surgery will help you when losing weight is at its hardest.'

Aka, this will help us lose those stubborn last pounds! Its very encouraging for me

Edited by bbykitty

On 10/5/2022 at 4:40 PM, raspberrylime said:

I'm also interested to hear other low BMI weight loss surgery experiences! I am having VSG in 6 days and my starting weight (before liquid diet) is also 205.

I'm now 10 days post op and thought I'd check in. I started at 205, weighed 199 the day of surgery, and am 183 today.

On 10/21/2022 at 15:59, bbykitty said:

I went down to 200lbs the day of surgery, I'm 3 weeks out & have lost 15lbs. I read a passage in my bariatric handbook that basically said, 'Your metabolic rate is higher when you weigh more, meaning you lose more doing less. Weighing less will slow that down. Essentially, the surgery will help you when losing weight is at its hardest.'

Aka, this will help us lose those stubborn last pounds! Its very encouraging for me

Can you share the title please? Ty

On 10/21/2022 at 4:29 PM, klove13 said:

Can you share the title please? Ty

Sure! How do I share it? I am new to this forum.

Sleeved on 9-1-2022. Surgery date weight 200, current is 172.2. Height 5'2. My beginning BMI was pretty low, about 36. I am so glad I had this surgery! I didn't have to take any pain meds. Never had nausea or anything. Looking forward to getting off meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. AND learning to nourish my body properly! Overall, a very positive experience.