Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fatty Liver almost Cirrhosis

I am five months from finding out I have issues with my liver. Seeing fatty liver clinc this month. They are suggesting weight loss surgery. I started swimming in Sept. 2021 and was at 260 now I an at 240.

I have a history of Gerd, lymphedema, asthma, obstructive sleep apnea, psoriatic arthritis too boot. Boyfriend does not think I need surgery. He comes from a family where his mom is very obese. I have a good friend who is 3 months out past surgery. 20210911_090344.jpg received_563615148754084.jpg 20220628_073410.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm right there with you. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and the more severe form: nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), are both pretty common for obese people. Note that about 25% of people with NASH develop cirrhosis.

Thankfully weight loss surgery is pretty successful in reversing NASH, as well as a host of other issues like GERD, sleep apnea, diabetes & heart disease.

At the end of the day, only you can decide if surgery is the right thing for you. If you do go the surgical route, you'll find lots of supportive people here.

08/21/2022 10:54 AM, Flowerpetal1978 said:

I am five months from finding out I have issues with my liver. Seeing fatty liver clinc this month. They are suggesting weight loss surgery. I started swimming in Sept. 2021 and was at 260 now I an at 240.

I have a history of Gerd, lymphedema, asthma, obstructive sleep apnea, psoriatic arthritis too boot. Boyfriend does not think I need surgery. He comes from a family where his mom is very obese. I have a good friend who is 3 months out past surgery. 20210911_090344.jpg received_563615148754084.jpg 20220628_073410.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I just was sleeved on 8/16. I have been over 300 pounds for YEARS… but as long as I was able to do what I wanted and needed to - I didn’t see the need. Last year I hit my heaviest weight ever at 382… and I was like NOPE this isn’t happening. I worked my butt off to loose weight and had a good start. Then I got sick and we found out my liver was enlarged (like 3x the size it should be) and my fatty liver was progressing to NASH and my liver function tests were concerning my drs. Finally I was ready to consider surgery.

I lost about 55 pounds from my heaviest leading up to my pre surgery diet (over about 9 months). I had a few set backs with having covid during that time. My endocrinologist was pleased with my liver reduction (through palpitations) and knowing I was scared about surgery told me if I kept making progress I could hold off on surgery if I wanted. But I was to worried that there would always be another “set back” and my liver wasn’t anything I wanted to mess with. I lost another 12 pounds on my pre op diet.

I asked my surgeon how my liver looked after surgery (there was a chance I was also going to end up with a liver biopsy in addition to a hernia repair) and she told me my liver looked fantastic and to keep doing what I was doing - no need for the biopsy.

There’s no guarantees that weight loss would reverse my liver condition - but it was my best shot. However I was told if I did nothing it certainly would continue to deteriorate.

I’m not quite a week out. I’m sore - occasional movements hurt, at times a bit nauseous (not horrible) and I’m sick of the liquid diet … but I’d do it all again in a heartbeat. I have confirmation I’m on the right track and that means the world to me. I’m not looking to be a particular size or weight, I’m working towards being healthy and that includes my liver, joints and over all well being.

My husband was supportive right from the beginning to do whatever I wanted to do. At times I wavered because I was scared - but he was my rock and honestly I think not doing something scared him more that the surgery (he was scared too). He sat in my drs appointment when the dr explained what the progression of my liver from NAFLD to NASH meant and what to expect if I didn’t make some real changes.

My only advice is find a bariatric program you are comfortable with. It took me two tries. Have your boyfriend come along if he’s able and if not take someone you trust to be objective and SUPPORTIVE. Having that support helps. Also if you have a therapist talk to them about it - your concerns, fears, hopes for the outcome. And if you don’t have one, consider finding someone who deals with bariatric health. I see mine every two weeks and we always touch on where I’m at in the process - it has helped.

No one can tell you what the right decision is for you, but I do hope you have support whatever you choose to do. Best of luck and please update how you are doing no matter what you decide.

It’s a big decision and one only you can make but I agree that you definitely will find tons of support here. Not to say that you don’t want his support but there have been many people who had unsupportive significant others. Most seem to come around to the idea eventually. taking them along to a couple dr appointments seems to help. By letting them voice their concerns and have the dr or NP explain things. I think it helps to hear from a doctor that it is a relatively safe surgery and also that your odds of losing weight on your own just really aren’t great after you get to be a certain size as well as their account of how many people have reversed some if not all of their medical issues by losing weight.

Hi,

I'm going to say the same thing others have written. Only you can decide for yourself.

One of the things that pushed me for surgery is that I had a fatty liver and didn't want to go through being sick because of my liver. One of the hardest things I have ever done is watch my son go through end stage liver disease and the subsequent transplant he was able to get. I would never wish having to get that sick on anyone. I'm sure your boyfriend is concerned about you but when you go to the clinic ask the doctor what can happen if your liver reaches the tipping point where it won't regenerate and then make your decision based on the information you get.

I see the fatty liver clinc at UW Madison on the last Tuesday of August. Sorry that your son had to have all that happen. How is he doing now? The boyfriend is like it's his job to keep me healthy. I was a wreck prior to meeting and dating him. Lots of fast food and prepared meals that where not what I should have been doing. I struggle with depression and anxiety and attention deficit disorder as well. Looking at UW Madison because all the departments work alongside each other.

Edited by Flowerpetal1978
Date

24 minutes ago, Flowerpetal1978 said:

I see the fatty liver clinc at UW Madison next Tuesday. Sorry that your son had to have all that happen. How is he doing now? The boyfriend is like it's his job to keep me healthy. I was a wreck prior to meeting and dating him. Lots of fast food and prepared meals that where not what I should have been doing. I struggle with depression and anxiety and attention deficit disorder as well. Looking at UW Madison because all the departments work alongside each other.

He is doing ok now, he's about 3 years out from transplant. Now all I have to do is get him to eat healthier. Your boyfriend can really help you after you see the liver clinic especially with the diet they may recommend. Or if your eating plan is ok then he can be your cheerleader to help you stay on course.

Prior to deciding on surgery how much weight loss has been common for everyone? Last fall I was at least 260 pounds. Decided to join the local YMCA and swim with a great friend. Gained another to swim with us. Last fall was swimming at least 3 times a week. This spring and summer has been crazy only about 2 times a week. Now at stalling out on the weight loss.

was where you were in 2020. I had my gallbladder removed, found out I had fatty liver with hepatic fibrosis, and was told I would not make it to 60 if I didn't lose weight. I was 48 at the time and just turned 51. I underwent the SADI-S on July 23rd, 2020, and lost 205 pounds. My high weight was 393 pounds at 5'3" inches tall.
My liver enzymes are now in the normal range.
Only you can decide if wls is right for you. It might be helpful to take your boyfriend to your appt. With a bariatric surgeon. Research as much as you can. Hopefully he will come around. There are people on this board who have family members and spouses aren't supportive. Luckily there is lots of support here. Your bf may just need to learn more about it. In the end, he will have to understand that this is YOUR decision. Good luck to you.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my weight loss surgery through UW-Madison. I lost over 200 lbs, but then, I was VERY compliant with the program. Average weight loss with bypass is 70% of excess weight, with sleeve it's 65% - although as with any average, you'll find people who lose less or more than that. I would have been fine with a 70% loss (but I lost more than that).

message me if you want to chat about the program.

I watched the on line part for thr program yesterday. I have to enter my information for insurance yet. I know my insurance pays for it.

I live and work in Wausau will that be difficult for this program with the UW? What impresses me is that all these departments work together. Where my friend had it done its not like that at all.

That is terrific that you had it in 2015 and have kept the weight off. How did you keep focused after the surgery to not allow the weight to come back?

I see what my friend is going through a little over 3 months and she is afraid to eat at times. I know everyone reacts different to foods etc. Glad to known you had the surgery at UW Madison.

I did gain about 20 lbs in year 3 post-op, but a 10-20 lb rebound weight gain after hitting your lowest weight is very common. And to be honest, I think I look better at this higher weight, even though part of me would like to get back down there again! To maintain it, I track everything I eat and try to get some exercise most days of the week.

Edited by catwoman7