Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre qualifications for surgery



Recommended Posts

I am new here and have so many questions but for now I was wondering if anyone had their surgery through Carrum Health? I am currently in the process and I was curious to know if anyone could tell me about how long it takes to get the surgery once you’ve began the process. I’m very excited but a little inpatient, trying not to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t have surgery with Carrum but can tell you that the length of time the process takes is dictated mostly by the insurance company. Some require a 3 or 6 month weight loss attempt where a doctor weighs you every month. Also most require a psyc evaluation and you may also have to do some medical tests to determine you are fit for surgery to name a few of the common requirements. Beyond that, it will just depend on how busy your doctor is. Once I had completed my requirements it was about a month till my surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I didn’t have surgery with Carrum but can tell you that the length of time the process takes is dictated mostly by the insurance company. Some require a 3 or 6 month weight loss attempt where a doctor weighs you every month. Also most require a psyc evaluation and you may also have to do some medical tests to determine you are fit for surgery to name a few of the common requirements. Beyond that, it will just depend on how busy your doctor is. Once I had completed my requirements it was about a month till my surgery.

I also didn't have surgery with Carrum but my insurance required 6 months and after completing all the required steps by insurance and doctors they also scheduled me a month out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am new here and have so many questions but for now I was wondering if anyone had their surgery through Carrum Health? I am currently in the process and I was curious to know if anyone could tell me about how long it takes to get the surgery once you’ve began the process. I’m very excited but a little inpatient, trying not to be.

I like you am very impatient. I started my journey in January and am ready to get the surgery. Ive had several procedures I had to do first and seemed like no one was scheduling as fast as I wanted them to. Im scheduled for my pre op appointment on the 15th so not much longer.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, lroever said:

I like you am very impatient. I started my journey in January and am ready to get the surgery. Ive had several procedures I had to do first and seemed like no one was scheduling as fast as I wanted them to. Im scheduled for my pre op appointment on the 15th so not much longer.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh my goodness that is a very long time to wait. I hope it won’t take me that long to get approved as I know my patience will wear me down. I’m glad to hear you have your surgery scheduled now. I hope everything works out well and am looking forward to hear about your progress. Best of luck!! Thank you for replying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Readyforchange75 said:

Oh my goodness that is a very long time to wait. I hope it won’t take me that long to get approved as I know my patience will wear me down. I’m glad to hear you have your surgery scheduled now. I hope everything works out well and am looking forward to hear about your progress. Best of luck!! Thank you for replying!

It's pretty normal for it to take 6 months to a year to get through all the steps. I'm going on 2.5 years, but I know I'm an edge case. Keep in mind that this is life changing surgery. Not only do you have to jump through a lot of hoops, but I think it's good that it takes a while because you need to mentally prepare yourself for this change. If you go into this thinking bariatric surgery will "fix" you, it's won't. Surgery is a tool, but the hardest part is the mental changes needed to be successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2022 at 10:08 AM, SpartanMaker said:

It's pretty normal for it to take 6 months to a year to get through all the steps. I'm going on 2.5 years, but I know I'm an edge case. Keep in mind that this is life changing surgery. Not only do you have to jump through a lot of hoops, but I think it's good that it takes a while because you need to mentally prepare yourself for this change. If you go into this thinking bariatric surgery will "fix" you, it's won't. Surgery is a tool, but the hardest part is the mental changes needed to be successful.

I agree 100% and this is something I’ve been thinking about for almost two years now. I waited because I knew I needed to be mentally prepared. I am going into this eyes wide open. Had I known it took this long I would have started the process as soon as I started thinking I might possibly want the surgery. I’m not saying I want it right now I’ve just been curious as to how long it will take. I understand it’s a process and I definitely do not think it will “fix” me. I am fully aware it is a tool and there are so many lifestyle changes that I have already started making. I’m prepared to put in the work that I know is going to be hard, which is why I waited so long to get started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      To working out faithfully for 5 days a week. Lets go back to that year with a more positive mind, 
       
      SKINNY SZN HERE WE COME!!!!
       
      It's Saturday!!! My fiance and I are out doing yard work and I made the mistake of not staying hydrated before going out so now my body is shaking and weak. I have my pre-op appointment Tuesday, the 2nd and I am trying my hardest to lose another 2 lbs by then. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Hi guys!!!
      Here is my big boy Zuko and daddy. My Great Dane/Shepherd. He was our first pup that we rescued from the Humane Society. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SimplySleevedCece

      Looking for new sleeve buddies! I’m 1.5 weeks post op and things seem to be getting a little difficult! I actually WANT food again eghh! Honestly, I feel like you don’t truly understand this process unless you go through it! Don’t be shy, say hello and let’s support each other during this journey 🙂
      · 1 reply
      1. jenuinelygenuinely

        You got this!! When I had the sleeve I cried every day during the liquid phase, It was during the super-bowl! I was sooo hungry I sucked on a piece of pork rind. LOL

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      A daily dose of my youngest fur boy Ozai
       
      My blue eyed Husky/Malamute

      · 2 replies
      1. SHORTY_

        Makes me wanna 'boop' it

      2. SimplySleevedCece

        😍 Aww look at his wittle teeef!

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Meet my fur baby Azula. She is a German Shepherd/Red Heeler mix! My fiance and I rescued her on a road trip to Colorado in 2017. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×