Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post-Op Dr Visit

Had my 1st post-op visit today...my scale says I've lost 13 lbs...Dr scale says I've lost 7...6 lb difference!!!

WTF!!!

Dr says I should only be weighing myself once a week and that I'm doing fine. But I thought for sure the weight would come off a little faster.

Sticking with soft foods until next appointment on July 20th. Hopefully I'll see a better loss then.

My husband goes in on Monday for his surgery so at least we will both be on the same diet.

Sent from my SM-G981V using BariatricPal mobile app

Yea home scales are always off. Its annoying. I have 2 scales at home and they both tell me different things. I stopped weighing myself at home and now only weigh myself when i go to a doctors office.

Ya I'm thinking thats what I'm gonna need to do too. Just weigh in at the doctor's office.

With my husband having surgery on Monday, I'll be back in the office on 2 weeks with him anyway so I can weigh myself then.

I can't continue to stress how much I'm loosing because I'll just hinder my progress.

45 minutes ago, Rettak64 said:

I can't continue to stress how much I'm loosing because I'll just hinder my progress.

yes - definitely don't stress about it. There are so many things that affect your rate of weight loss that you have little to no control over - age, gender, starting BMI, metabolic rate, etc. The only two things you do have a lot of control over is how closely you stick to your program and your activity level. Do well with those and the weight will come off, either fast or slow. I was a slow loser from the get-go, and I lost over 200 lbs. So it can be done..

My scale at home is 3 pounds more than my surgeon's office and 6 pounds less than my PCP's office lol Once I figured out the difference, it made it easier to calculate my actual weight.

The difference is still the difference.

If your scaled started at 200 and now 210, it is 10 lbs.

If theirs started at 215 and now 205, still 10 lbs.

Just use the scale to track loss not your actual weight, if that makes sense?

This is extremely common. So I kept my records & my doctors kept their’s. As @kcuster83 said the difference is still the same. If you’re like many of us you likely weigh yourself first thing in the morning before Breakfast, naked. But when you go to the doctor, you’ve eaten, drunk, are clothed (I presume 😉) & their scales may be regularly checked & re calibrated while yours are never.

By maintaining your own records you can keep a closer eye on your weight loss fluctuations etc. as against whenever your doctor appointments are (monthly, two monthly, etc.). But how often you weigh yourself is just what you feel most confident with. I was an everyday (couple of times a week now) but others rarely or never weighed themselves relying on their doctor’s scale alone.

As for your rate of loss, we’re all different. Some loose slowly some more quickly. Just how it goes. Hardest will be that your husband will lose more quickly than you - gender injustice. Most important thing to remember is if your surgeon is happy you should be happy to.

All the best.

I’ve noticed my drs office is also way more than my home scale but then my other dr has a scale that weighs me in less than my home scale. 🤷🏼‍♀️

since my home scale is between the two I just stick with my home scale.