Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op and struggling with nausea

Hello all, I had RYGB surgery March 25th, 2022 and I'm struggling. I've been in and out of emergency with nausea and some throwing up. I'm weak and dizzy and finding it hard to move forward.

I did my research and knew that this is a possibility but dang it's hard. Even Water causes stomach issues. I'm barely getting my Protein Drinks in. Is this common? I'm hoping to get an appointment with my surgeon to talk about this. I just want this reversed. I know it's not possible but I'm miserable.

technically speaking... Gastric bypass is reversible, Gastric sleeve is not. But i hope you find out what is the problem soon! keep us updated so you can get thru and reach your goal weight.

Are you on a PPI? Excess acid could be making you nauseous. It could be many things. You should contact your bariatric team. They might admit you for fluids, nutrition and testing.

I really hope you get answers and feel better soon! 🤗

Thank you both. I was in the hospital twice this weekend and they gave me fluids and Odansatron but went home to the same issues.

The on call surgeon just looked at me and said "We do not see anything wrong with your blood work or CT scan". I felt so defeated! I wrote down all my symptoms to talk to my surgeon about, so hopefully I can find answers. At this point, I just want it reversed but they won't even look at that as I'm only three weeks post op. My fear is that this won't go away. I do not want to live months or years with this.

Ondansetron is a good drug, but there are others. Does the ondansetron not work at all? Does it stop working too soon? Do you take it around the clock? Dehydration can make nausea worse, so keep on top of the meds and drink what you can. Maybe you could stomach warm or iced tea better? I still don't like Water much and I'm 7 months out.

Yes! I was bumped up to 8mg every 8 hours but it doesn't seem to work well. Gravol is better but makes me so tired which is good for bedtime (I can't sleep) but not during the day.

You're absolutely right about dehydration making it worse, so I sip slow all-day. All the doctor kept saying to me is that I need to keep drinking my Protein Shakes. He wasn't listening when I said that I can't keep it down. I start work this week and am quite worried.

I'm sorry you're struggling. Try different liquids, different temps of liquids. Like, iced or warm. You can try Protein Water maybe (Protein2O or something similar), or I ate a lot of sugar free greek yogurt. You can freeze Protein Shakes and see if that works better.

Another person asked if you are on a PPI, like omeprazole. Acid could be making you nauseous as well.

Keep pestering your doctors.

I didn’t have as much nausea as you, but the nausea that I had ended at about four weeks out. They prescribed generic Vistaril for me. It also caused sleepiness, though. I hope that you feel better soon.

Going to ask because just learned about this thing regarding hormones. My g daughter has terrible continuous vomiting with her period. I ask because I know the surgeries do mess with different hormones. If they don’t come up with anything check your gyn dr. Just a thought.

Also, how small and how far apart are your sips? Try experimenting and see if that gives any relief. And sugar-free popsicles are a great way to make sure you're not accidentally swallowing too much at once. Hope you're feeling much better soon!

49 minutes ago, Grider said:

Going to ask because just learned about this thing regarding hormones. My g daughter has terrible continuous vomiting with her period. I ask because I know the surgeries do mess with different hormones. If they don’t come up with anything check your gyn dr. Just a thought.

No worries. I do not get my period as I've had surgeries that stopped it. It might still be hormone related though

6 minutes ago, FutureSylph said:

Also, how small and how far apart are your sips? Try experimenting and see if that gives any relief. And sugar-free popsicles are a great way to make sure you're not accidentally swallowing too much at once. Hope you're feeling much better soon!

I take it quite slow, it does work sometimes for the vomiting but the nausea is constant. Couple that with my legs and arms shaking too and the weakness it's been horrible.

technically speaking... Gastric bypass is reversible, Gastric sleeve is not. But i hope you find out what is the problem soon! keep us updated so you can get thru and reach your goal weight.
Oh wow [emoji15] I didn't know it could be reversed thats something worth keep on the back of your mind I guess[emoji53]

Sent from my SM-N981B using BariatricPal mobile app