Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I realized this site is a Trigger for me and i say this i mean everyone is talking about food it causes me to want food let me help you explain{ i am in recovery for alcoholism ( almost ten years this summer) never mind it's to complicated all i know is I'm having a hard time calling myself a "food addict" perhaps i am in denial , perhaps i need to have someone on here to help me better understand better this disorder , help me someone i cant keep living my life like this , one minute i think i might have this thing they call BED i can identify with alcoholism because i know for a fact i am for sure a drunk I'll be sober i am sober 10 years this summer ( June 30 ) anyway again i don't know if I'm a food addict but i know this site is triggering me to want food therefore does that mean i have BED because i have been triggered before and that was the result of having been diagnosed with PTSD so ( i know no one on here is an MD or maybe there is)) i know the feeling(s) that surface for me , i hoped this made " some sense " enough out of me. ☘️

Congratulations on being sober going on 10 years. If I were you I wouldn’t get too hung up on the label (unless having a name helps you somehow) if you have any type of disordered eating I would see someone who specializes as such. Not all therapists are equipped to work with disordered eating. I know it’s not easy thinking about establishing a relationship with someone else but if your therapist doesn’t happen to work with disordered eating as well I would really consider it as it is a very specialized field and you want to set yourself up to have the most success post surgery. I am not saying to replace your therapist. Just see someone else as well for disordered eating.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Just as one element of dealing with Alcoholism is avoiding triggering situations, the same can apply to at least some eating disorders, that you should avoid triggering situations.

If you are triggered by this sites food talk you can get the same information from other places without the triggering food discussions.

I stopped going to my Surgeon's support group because the talk was about how to cheat, or at least that's what I got out of it. So I stopped going.

There is no law that says we have to allow ourselves to be triggered. Even if others think it's nonsense. Perhaps especially.

Take care of you, do what you need to do.

Good luck,

Tek

Hey Tek thanks man i appreciate that, i finally got some welcoming message i could be wrong but you seem like a caring person, you are reaching out to me shows me you are self-LESS and that's a huge character trait my wife tells me that all the time so i figured i would pass it on, keep in touch.

Coop

15 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Congratulations on being sober going on 10 years. If I were you I wouldn’t get too hung up on the label (unless having a name helps you somehow) if you have any type of disordered eating I would see someone who specializes as such. Not all therapists are equipped to work with disordered eating. I know it’s not easy thinking about establishing a relationship with someone else but if your therapist doesn’t happen to work with disordered eating as well I would really consider it as it is a very specialized field and you want to set yourself up to have the most success post surgery. I am not saying to replace your therapist. Just see someone else as well for disordered eating.

Thank you for replying to my post it was helpful, i think even though i didn't ask her my therapist doesn't so much per se specialize in BED but she has talked very little about it to me she is Brillant and i am not just saying that top of her class AT HAVARD and BENTLEY anyway not sure where i was going with her schooling LOL i am not against BED i just know nothing about it however i have my first virtual appt April 1st , keep in touch if you want,

Coop

As you have learned from dealing with your issues with alcoholism (Congratulations, by the way, for 10 years sober) you need to avoid triggers and you need counseling to deal with issues that cause you to not live life to your fullest or happiest (such as eating disorders, addictions, etc.)

I wouldn't focus too much on putting a label on your food issues, whether it's Binge Eating Disorder or Food Addiction or just plain Morbid Obesity . . . it's clear you have an issue with food that you need to deal with.

WLS is a tool that will help you lose the weight, yes. But the bigger battle is the mental battle. Get into some good counseling to talk about your food triggers and issues and good luck on your WLS journey.

WLS is a tool that will help you lose the weight, yes. But the bigger battle is the mental battle. Get into some good counseling to talk about your food triggers and issues and good luck on your WLS journey.

I have been in counseling for almost nine years and it has been a ride for sure, thank you for the kind words honestly i would like to look at food like its food and not obsess over it. Keep in touch it would be nice to make some friends around here, take care.