Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proximal to Distal Revision... expectations?

Hi everyone! I'm scheduled for my revision on March 21, 2022. I had my original surgery 21 years ago! My sw prior to the first surgery was 375, in the first year I lost 100lbs getting down to 275... my lowest weight since then was 248 due to an illness. I've bounced up and down between 250 and 280 since then.

I am a diabetic, have Gerd and was just diagnosed with very slow motility (my pcp says gastroparesis but my surgeon just says slow motility). When I started the process for revision (7months ago) my surgeon didn't think insurance would cover for just weight loss, but with further testing we discovered the digestion issue, his tune changed and surgery was approved!

I know a lot has changed with protocols in the last 21 years! I see my surgeon next week for pre-op so I will be asking him a lot, but wanted to find out from anyone who's had the proximal to distal revision as well:

What was the recovery like for the distal revision compared to the original surgery?

Did you have to spend anytime in the hospital? My surgeon already mentioned he does it outpatient and I should go home same day, which seems crazy to me!

I know weight loss can be slower with a revision. How much did you lose and in what timeframe?

Any other pieces of advice?

I plan on strictly following the food phases that the nutritionist gave me and leaning toward the longest of the time frames she gave me... ie 2-3 weeks post op liquid, 4-8 weeks soft foods etc... I am determined to lose and get to a goal weight of 155-175 which my surgeon said was possible in our initial meeting 8 months ago.

@Nifer72 I hope you are doing well. I’m wondering did you meet your goal and how have your weight loss been and your restriction?

26 minutes ago, L. Knight said:

@Nifer72 I hope you are doing well. I’m wondering did you meet your goal and how have your weight loss been and your restriction?

My revision was a bit more... complicated than most. Due to unforseen issues (basically one anastomosis was not done right), the surgery in March had to be aborted after 3hrs. New surgery was scheduled for June to allow for healing. 2nd surgery, the surgeon discovered another surprise. My common channel was only 25cm and the configuration of my intestines was not the rny configuration. He had to back my common channel to 300cm, cut out a portion of my pouch and small intestines due to necrotic tissue. This surgery took 8hrs!

So almost 9months post op, I do have better restriction than I did with my surgery 22 years ago, but I'm absorbing more. I'm down 50lbs so it's been slow going, but I'm still losing.

Thanks for asking, Hope you are doing well on your journey.

@Nifer72 thank you for your quick response to your revision update. Wow 8 hours in surgery I’m glad you had an experience surgeon. I go 3/24 im having Gastric Bypass revision using the TOR(e) method it may also be referred to ESG. Keep up your progress.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, L. Knight said:

@Nifer72 thank you for your quick response to your revision update. Wow 8 hours in surgery I’m glad you had an experience surgeon. I go 3/24 im having Gastric Bypass revision using the TOR(e) method it may also be referred to ESG. Keep up your progress.

Thank you! I hope your surgery went well!