Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, im new on here. Wls is something i have thought about for a few years now but not seriously, i always thought eventually I'll do it on my own. I started putting on weight at around 12 years old. I was sexually abused from age 10 too 11. This affected me dramatically and i shut myself off from everything and food was my comfort. I have tried and failed at diets ever since. Iv tried most of the diets going, slimming world more tines than i can count, ww when it was weight watchers, rosemary connelly, cabbage Soup diet, calorie counting and not eating for days at a time. Each time i lose some but eventually give up when the weight loss sticks and each time i end up heavier than before. Im now almost 23 stone (317lb) and im 5 foot 8 inches tall. My bmi 48 so im classed as morbidity obese. I wear 24/26 clothes. I have arthritis in my knees, feet and back which makes it difficult to exercise due to the pain and i know losing weight would help me a lot. My parents both have high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels and my mom is type 1 diabetic and has to inject insulin. The last few months i have thought more seriously about wls, i have spoken to the weight management woman at my gp surgery who got my doctor to refer me to bariatrics. I have a blood sugar blood test tomorrow and then i will be referred to hospital. I only spoke the her last week so im shocked im getting referred so quickly. I will be around reading posts and asking questions of you i hope thats ok. What questions should i ask when i get seen?

Sent from my SM-A526B using BariatricPal mobile app

First of all, I just want to say that I am so proud of you for reaching out and getting the process started. Sometimes that very first action is the hardest but you did it and that's something to Celebrate.

I would say as you're working through the process of getting approved for surgery, it would be worthwhile to see a therapist. I also have abuse and trauma in my history which heavily contributed to my disordered eating and weight gain. Getting help for my mental well being was the single most important piece of my journey. The surgery is just a tool and it will only work as well as you learn to use it. Making sure that you work through trauma, learn new coping mechanisms, and have a solid support system in place will help ensure long term success.

As for questions, I'd say keep a journal or notebook and write things down as they come to mind. Then, take that to your appts and ask them all as you're able to. Personally, I wanted to know all about my surgeons success/mortality/infection rates, the pre- and post-op diets, long term eating habits, Vitamin and supplement requirements, and my personal health history and how it may impact surgery and success. Of course, other questions came up along the way, so I asked those too.

Welcome to the WLS surgery club. We're glad you're here and we're cheering you on!

Thank you. I have been having therapy for a while and i feel now is the right time for me to move forward and look to the future and put me first. I have 4 children who obviously come first but i need to do this for me to be who i need to be for me and for them if that makes sense. I have put off doing so many things that i would have loved to do with them due to my weight and i feel guilty for that but i know now guilt wont change anything, all i can do is make better choices now to improve my future and hopefully be around for them a lot longer than i would be if i carry on as i am. My eating isnt as much a comfort thing now its my portion sizes as a small meal just wont satisfy me. I will keep a journal and write my questions down so i feel prepared. Thank you for the support

12 minutes ago, fatgirlsliming said:

Thank you. I have been having therapy for a while and i feel now is the right time for me to move forward and look to the future and put me first. I have 4 children who obviously come first but i need to do this for me to be who i need to be for me and for them if that makes sense. I have put off doing so many things that i would have loved to do with them due to my weight and i feel guilty for that but i know now guilt wont change anything, all i can do is make better choices now to improve my future and hopefully be around for them a lot longer than i would be if i carry on as i am. My eating isnt as much a comfort thing now its my portion sizes as a small meal just wont satisfy me. I will keep a journal and write my questions down so i feel prepared. Thank you for the support

After surgery you will be able to eat very little at one time, but you might not feel "satisfied". I have been hungry since right after surgery and I can't eat enough to be "satisfied" even though my tummy is full. Being satisfied is more emotional.

You should notice a difference in your arthritis pain. I’m 4 weeks from my pre-op and definitely feel less pain. It’s worth it from a pain standpoint.

After surgery you will be able to eat very little at one time, but you might not feel "satisfied". I have been hungry since right after surgery and I can't eat enough to be "satisfied" even though my tummy is full. Being satisfied is more emotional.
Sorry its the not feeling full i mean by not satisfied. Most days now i dont eat until my evening meal as as soon as i eat im then constantly hungry. I know its not a good way to eat but if i eat at Breakfast im then constantly hungry all day until i go to bed so i just dont eat.

You should notice a difference in your arthritis pain. I’m 4 weeks from my pre-op and definitely feel less pain. It’s worth it from a pain standpoint.
That would be brilliant! I would love to walk our dog a lot more than i can atm, i can walk shout distances but with the dog if she pulls it jarrs my knees and its then even more painful.[emoji24]