Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet

Hi

I'm having surgery on 4th October ,I'm in the UK. Bit due to BMI being so high have to do pre op liver shrinking diet for 6 weeks at 800 calories a day.Has anyone else had to do it this long,if you how did you find it.Im often nauseous, some vomiting ,lacking energy.

I didn't have to do it for 6 weeks -- I don't envy you! But, my experience and the experiences of others I've read on this forum indicate that after the first week, it gets a lot better. You just have to take it one day at a time, and think about how terrible it would be to get to surgery day and get opened up, only to be closed up and not be able to get it because your liver didn't shrink enough. That's what helped me push through.

The low energy is terrible and unfortunately I don't think there's a way around that one, but I would ask your doctor about the vomiting and what they would recommend for that!

Good luck and congrats on your surgery date! ❤️

Hi Mel, I am in the UK too, Every surgeon is so different. I have read thousands of these post on here and there is no rhyme or reason for most. Like someone else stated - they need to do some research and not stick a pin in the list to find the pre op diet.

It does seem brutal to make you do 6 weeks of 800 cals but I figure we will go through any hoop to get the surgery at this stage. Speak to the dietician at the hospital. We are paying loads of money to get this done, you dont need to be nauseous.

Is the foods you are eating now very different to before - You might be having withdrawal symptoms. I have read they are bad. I hope you get sorted. Hugs

Hi

I am going to ring dietician again tomorrow, but spoke with 111 who think it is withdrawal, I'm on week 3 of 6,so goes to show what crap I was putting in my body.Thank you for your response,good luck on your Journey x

That’s a long time to do the pre op. It does get easier as time goes by though so hopefully it will for you too. Maybe ask the surgeon if they can give you something for nausea. I think the lack of energy is pretty common but they make medications for nausea and vomiting. Keep hanging in there. You can do this.

Edited by ShoppGirl