Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food progress

Okay so I’m transitioning to regular diet in about three weeks and I was wondering if anyone has tried foods they would normally eat? Like Pasta , pizza, salads, etc. my nurse said I should be fine to eat it but I’m the booklet my nutritionist gave me it said to avoid these things. I’m just nervous, I’m eating soft food and my stomach already doesn’t like much so I don’t wanna try anything I shouldn’t have but I have been craving pizza lmfao

My surgeon specifically said that if I'm going to try "composite foods" (as he called them), to try the individual components first... so for pizza you'd try cheese, and bread, and Tomato sauce. Given the amounts they're talking about it's hard to imagine eating more than a bite or two of pizza.

I kept very closely to the plan I was given & the recommendations from my dietician & surgeon. They knew what they’re talking about. Your plan would advise when you can start to try to include certain foods in your diet as your tummy can’t digest some things to begin - too coarse, too fibrous, too dense, too rich, etc. When you’re able to eat solid foods again it’s not a free for all. You need to be careful not to stress & strain your tummy & digestion. It will be sensitive & as you’re discovering may not tolerate some things you used to enjoy. (It does improve but it takes time.)

We’re advised to avoid nutrient poor Pasta, rice & bread because they tend to swell in your tiny tummy & fill you up so you’re unable to eat the Protein & other nutrients you really need. Remember you physically are only able to eat small portions if anything. There are pretty good alternatives about. A lot of people swear by a ricotta bake which reminds people of pizza or in time you could try pizza made with a cauliflower rice or a shredded chicken base. Try zucchini noodles instead of pasta. You will be able to eat salads in a little while.

Some people will say they ate bread, rice, pasta, etc. without issue at some point while they were losing. Some successfully with careful Portion Control incorporate these things & foods like pizza occasionally in maintenance. Personally, I decided that the weight loses phase was the perfect opportunity to change the way I ate & what I ate & I still stay away from lots of foods - I realised they were danger foods for me. But ultimately, it’s your decision. You have to do what works for you.

Good luck.

Edited by Arabesque

There are some foods that you used to love that your stomach is going to hate now. I loved pizza and bread, for at least two years after my surgery, I couldn't eat either. The Tomato in the sauce (even ketchup) was too acidic and made my stomach upset. Bread, literally all types of bread would sit too heavy in my stomach and made me feel like there was just a ball stuck in there.

The Pasta was another "ehh" food for me. I couldn't eat regular pasta like spaghetti without the same feeling in my stomach that I got from bread, sometimes I still feel this way. But tortellini and ravioli were fine (I think because of the cheese).

I think trying the individual parts first is what is going to help the most. And try to find alternatives for your cravings. Instead of pizza, I had cheese sticks and pepperoni slices. I could heat the cheese up in a pan and put the pepperoni over it so that it would cook too. For bread, I didn't (and still don't) really miss it. Flatbreads such as naan and pita sit better in my stomach so if I do need bread for something, I choose that.

2 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

My surgeon specifically said that if I'm going to try "composite foods" (as he called them), to try the individual components first... so for pizza you'd try cheese, and bread, and Tomato sauce. Given the amounts they're talking about it's hard to imagine eating more than a bite or two of pizza.

Agreeed I can barley eat one scrambled egg right now

2 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I kept very closely to the plan I was given & the recommendations from my dietician & surgeon. They knew what they’re talking about. Your plan would advise when you can start to try to include certain foods in your diet as your tummy can’t digest some things to begin - too coarse, too fibrous, too dense, too rich, etc. When you’re able to eat solid foods again it’s not a free for all. You need to be careful not to stress & strain your tummy & digestion. It will be sensitive & as you’re discovering may not tolerate some things you used to enjoy. (It does improve but it takes time.)

We’re advised to avoid nutrient poor Pasta, rice & bread because they tend to swell in your tiny tummy & fill you up so you’re unable to eat the Protein & other nutrients you really need. Remember you physically are only able to eat small portions if anything. There are pretty good alternatives about. A lot of people swear by a ricotta bake which reminds people of pizza or in time you could try pizza made with a cauliflower rice or a shredded chicken base. Try zucchini noodles instead of Pasta. You will be able to eat salads in a little while.

Some people will say they ate bread, rice, pasta, etc. without issue at some point while they were losing. Some successfully with careful Portion Control incorporate these things & foods like pizza occasionally in maintenance. Personally, I decided that the weight loses phase was the perfect opportunity to change the way I ate & what I ate & I still stay away from lots of foods - I realised they were danger foods for me. But ultimately, it’s your decision. You have to do what works for you.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for this. I’ve been planning to try alternatives like cauliflower pizza and vegan burgers because I’ve ate it before and loved it. I just never knew anybody else whose had a sleeve or any bariatric surgery and I know the nurse they sent to my home does not know what she is talking about. I was never big on rice or pasta unless it was gnocchi. I reallly appreciate this

1 hour ago, Stalled said:

There are some foods that you used to love that your stomach is going to hate now. I loved pizza and bread, for at least two years after my surgery, I couldn't eat either. The Tomato in the sauce (even ketchup) was too acidic and made my stomach upset. bread, literally all types of bread would sit too heavy in my stomach and made me feel like there was just a ball stuck in there.

The Pasta was another "ehh" food for me. I couldn't eat regular Pasta like spaghetti without the same feeling in my stomach that I got from bread, sometimes I still feel this way. But tortellini and ravioli were fine (I think because of the cheese).

I think trying the individual parts first is what is going to help the most. And try to find alternatives for your cravings. Instead of pizza, I had cheese sticks and pepperoni slices. I could heat the cheese up in a pan and put the pepperoni over it so that it would cook too. For bread, I didn't (and still don't) really miss it. Flatbreads such as naan and pita sit better in my stomach so if I do need bread for something, I choose that.

Hey, I’ve actually had Tomato Soup for most of my liquid diet and even sometimes now and my stomach has been fine so I might be okay with Tomato sauce idk I’m scared to try anything tbh. I was thinking of Naan, or gluten free bread but gluten free may have the same affect as regular bread. I have found alts to all of the foods I used to love it’s just I don’t know how im going to eat lol. I been eating a bit and getting full after two bites to which my family is like wth lol. But I will definetley work my way up to pizza. I really want to try cauliflower pizza but the only one I could find is this frozen one at target or if I make it at home and let me tell you .. I am no chef lol

6 hours ago, Umidk23 said:

Hey, I’ve actually had Tomato Soup for most of my liquid diet and even sometimes now and my stomach has been fine so I might be okay with Tomato sauce idk I’m scared to try anything tbh. I was thinking of Naan, or gluten free bread but gluten free may have the same affect as regular bread. I have found alts to all of the foods I used to love it’s just I don’t know how im going to eat lol. I been eating a bit and getting full after two bites to which my family is like wth lol. But I will definetley work my way up to pizza. I really want to try cauliflower pizza but the only one I could find is this frozen one at target or if I make it at home and let me tell you .. I am no chef lol

I buy the frozen cauliflower crusts alone. Two in a pack at Walmart and I cut them up when I get home since they are partially thawed. Then when I want a slice I add my own toppings and pop one in the oven (I add cooked chicken after it’s done so it doesn’t dry out). I honestly can’t even tell the difference anymore. This is my pizza and it’s quite tasty. It’s not in the pizza section it’s in gluten free section at my Walmart.

Edited by ShoppGirl

you have to progress slowly. Stuff like pizza, Pasta, and raw vegetables are really hard on new pouches and sleeves. You'll likely be able to eat those again eventually, but probably not for a few months.