Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, I am 22 years old and I had my gastric sleeve done on June 26th... I've had a really rough time ever since I got surgery, mentally and physically... I question if I made the right decision on doing this? Most of the time I don't feel like eating because I feel nauseous. I take the pills that my doctor prescribed for the nauseous feelings but it seems like it doesn't help. I have no motivation to do anything, I just want to be in bed all day. I cry most of the time thinking about how I have no motivation for anything... I just want to know if anyone else feels like this or has felt like this? What has helped? And when did everyone start feeling better...?

You should reach out to your surgery center and ask if they can recommend a therapist and also see if you can get a different anti-nausea medication. You sound like you need some support from a mental health standpoint. I know it's common to have "buyer's remorse" for a time after surgery, but it sounds like you may be suffering from depression too, although I certainly can't diagnose you. Definitely reach out to the surgery center and let them know you're struggling. Keep us posted!

what are you eating? that can affect you and make you nauseous, also I dont know if you have been told this but exercise actually makes you feel better. I understand a bit, i have really off days where im in bed most of the day feeling horrible and thinking surgery was a mistake, but when i finally convince myself to get up and get moving i do feel better. the first few months are a massive adjustment that is why i love this site as so many people have had similar experiences however they pushed through it and so will you! find people to care and support you, dont be hard on yourself, talk to ur doc/therapist/however you need to help you through this. xx

You’re not alone! Here’s my insight.. So I had VGS on 7/29 - so I’m 6 days post op. I too have felt the same.. however, I also have dealt with 2 brutal, crippling depressive and anxiety episodes .. so during that time I really was able to learn myself and the way my brain works.. 9/10xs everything I felt was anxiety and it was a matter of calming myself, self affirmations , getting out, riding the wave and allowing waves of emotions and intrusive thoughts to come through and awknowleding them but not buying into them. So obviously being predisposed, I am having some mild depression and anxiety. Thoughts of “wth did I do” , “will I ever eat again” “what if I don’t like how I look” .. and oh ‘ the brain fog .. that always sucks. I texted my surgeon day 1 and got back on my celexa (antidepressant) that I haven’t been on for 3 years, and literally take it day by day. Remind myself why I did this, try not to google, and wrote down my feelings, etc. I’m not 100% but I know I will be .. there’s so many hormone changes and body acclamations we’re going through.. so it takes time. It was stress physically and mentally and this is so unknown for us. It okay and you will be ok. I recommend looking into a psychiatrist for some temporary relief to help with serotonin production and talk to a therapist. Rest a lot. And fake self positive talk even if you don’t believe it .. the mind believes what we tell it