Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I got ESG in New York City 2.5 days ago. So far, so good. I stopped taking pain and nausea meds the day after the procedure. My worst symptom by far is my trapped gas (and sore throat but it isn’t severe, just noticeable). My doc recommended Mylanta for the trapped gas; I’m still waiting to see if it will be helpful. I had a natural bowel movement today as well, so my body seems to be responding quite well to the procedure. I transition to puréed foods on 5/20, but as of now no feelings of hunger have kicked in yet. For context, I’m 34 years old. SW at ESG was 218.6; 2.5 days later CW (at follow up appt) was 211.8. I’m so excited about what my future holds post-ESG! Feel free to ask me questions! I’ll keep updating the forum.

most of us lose our sense of hunger for a few months (up to one year) after surgery. A minority never lose their hunger at all - and another minority lose theirs permanently, but most of us are somewhere in the middle. Mine came back when I was five months out. Use this to your advantage - it'll never be easier in your lifetime to lose weight when you're never hungry!

I was at around 500-800 calories per day before I could eat "chunky" foods and then solids. Now I'm only hungry when my stomach is flat out empty, like in the mornings I get serious hunger pains and nausea. Otherwise, I just get a "hey, maybe you should eat" hints when it's time for a meal. Much improvement!

On 5/17/2021 at 12:46 AM, SimpleIntellect said:

Hi all! I got ESG in New York City 2.5 days ago. So far, so good. I stopped taking pain and nausea meds the day after the procedure. My worst symptom by far is my trapped gas (and sore throat but it isn’t severe, just noticeable). My doc recommended Mylanta for the trapped gas; I’m still waiting to see if it will be helpful. I had a natural bowel movement today as well, so my body seems to be responding quite well to the procedure. I transition to puréed foods on 5/20, but as of now no feelings of hunger have kicked in yet. For context, I’m 34 years old. SW at ESG was 218.6; 2.5 days later CW (at follow up appt) was 211.8. I’m so excited about what my future holds post-ESG! Feel free to ask me questions! I’ll keep updating the forum.

How are you feeling? I got my ESG on the 11th - by day 4-5 i started feeling bad pains and it turns out i was just super hungry! Now i'm on soft foods and much happier. I also add Protein Powder to mostly everything to make sure im' getting a good amount in. Still have to work on my waters though. Keep us posted!

2 hours ago, Stace_Designer said:

How are you feeling? I got my ESG on the 11th - by day 4-5 i started feeling bad pains and it turns out i was just super hungry! Now i'm on soft foods and much happier. I also add Protein Powder to mostly everything to make sure im' getting a good amount in. Still have to work on my waters though. Keep us posted!

We’re at similar stages of the ESG journey! I’m feeling great. By far my worst symptom has been night time gas. It can get painful at times but I’m managing. I’m also trying to do better about my Water and Protein intake. I’m averaging between 500-800 calories per day now, but still not enough protein every day.

Hi simple,

Did the mylanta work for you? I've been experiencing excruciating gas pains and now 3 days post op from ESG and an inability to burp (maybe from the irritation of intubation).

But everything that comes up from burp either goes back down as MORE gas or comes out as painful foam.

So much foam and mucus haha

Any tips appreciated.

How has it been for you all that had ESG? I am still considering this procedure.

@flgirl23

My ESG was converted to a sleeve in March 2020. My ESG failed most of the sutures had come out or loosened. If you go a head with the ESG make sure you use someone who had done many ESGs, I am taking in the 100s, you want them to be as experienced as possible, you will also want to know there success rates for 1 year and 2 years out, ask how revisions for tightening of sutures and revisions to surgical options..

1 hour ago, Hop_Scotch said:

@flgirl23

My ESG was converted to a sleeve in March 2020. My ESG failed most of the sutures had come out or loosened. If you go a head with the ESG make sure you use someone who had done many ESGs, I am taking in the 100s, you want them to be as experienced as possible, you will also want to know there success rates for 1 year and 2 years out, ask how revisions for tightening of sutures and revisions to surgical options..

Thank you for the advice Hop_Scotch. I am looking into Dr. McGowan as he seems to do a lot of them. According to this video he created some of the success rate has a lot to do with using full thickness sutures. But also most doctors are like salesmen. One will try to convince you their procedure is better and neglect to emphasize the negative points. I am not saying that he is like that. It is just my general opinion of all doctors.

I am afraid of getting too skinny too fast with the regular sleeve and I like the idea of the slow progression with ESG but the odds of losing weight are certainly better with VSG. I realize both will require lots of work on my end. Either way, I need to do something. I have been saying I was going to do something for almost a year now. I have talked so much about weight loss surgery that I somehow convinced a friend to go through with getting the sleeve and I started the process way before her.

4 minutes ago, flgirl23 said:

Thank you for the advice Hop_Scotch. I am looking into Dr. McGowan as he seems to do a lot of them. According to this video he created some of the success rate has a lot to do with using full thickness sutures. But also most doctors are like salesmen. One will try to convince you their procedure is better and neglect to emphasize the negative points. I am not saying that he is like that. It is just my general opinion of all doctors.

I am afraid of getting too skinny too fast with the regular sleeve and I like the idea of the slow progression with ESG but the odds of losing weight are certainly better with VSG. I realize both will require lots of work on my end. Either way, I need to do something. I have been saying I was going to do something for almost a year now. I have talked so much about weight loss surgery that I somehow convinced a friend to go through with getting the sleeve and I started the process way before her.

Great you are doing your research.

Typically average excess weight loss with ESG is lower than the surgical options as the volume of the stomach remaining is a bit greater than the surgical options, so I think you should be fine for not getting too skinny too fast. Some people lose more than the average of course, and vice versa.