Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am week 18. Everything tastes different to me, I don’t care for what use to be my favorite foods. Most things seem to taste like pennies an too salty. Anyone noticing similar?

On 4/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, Jaelzion said:

Yes, what you're describing is very common and for most people, it does go away as the tummy heals and swelling goes down. It's usually just a matter of waiting it out, but occasionally, people develop a complication called a "stricture". This is a narrowing in the digestive tract that doesn't allow food to pass through and it sometimes requires treatment to widen it and relieve the problem. But most commonly, when the swelling goes down, that feeling of everything getting stuck goes away on its own. Hang in there, and if it doesn't improve, check in again with your surgeon's office.

I am 18 weeks out now should I be checked for the stricture?

changes in taste wouldn't be a stricture. With a stricture, you can't keep anything down. At first it's food - and as it progresses, you can't even keep fluids down. Strictures aren't very common with the sleeve, by the way - they're much more common with bypass, but even then, only about 5% of bypass patients get them.

EDITED: you must have started this on previous thread since I just noticed that you responded to someone's comment about a stricture. Are you vomiting everything up? In that case, check with your surgeon's office. At 18 weeks out, that's not normal. Strictures aren't common with the sleeve, but on the other hand, they're not unheard of, either. But just contact your clinic and let them know what's going on. It could be a stricture if you can't keep anything down - but then, something else could be going on, too.

Edited by catwoman7

yes, i understand.... aside from my taste change issue, I am going crazy not being able to eat more the 2 bites of anything. food feels stuck in my throat, like my throat is gonna close. i throw it up and get sharp pains in my chest and sometimes stomach.

I'd call the clinic. I suppose that COULD be a stricture - they might act a little differently for VSG patients than they do RNY patients. Regardless, I'd call because something is going on.

yes... ty - i did call the surgeon and all they tell me is it takes a while and they want me to wait again till my july appointment. i told them i cannot do that anymore. so i made appointment with a GI doc for the end of this month. i do feel really bad they haven't taken me seriously.

After sleeve surgery I would be have the same feeling of something being stuck in my throat. I would also have a nasty taste in mouth, especially after drinking Water. Come fo find out it dealt with acid reflux. These were my only 2 symptoms and after my doctor prescribed me medication it soon went away. If I do skip the medicine for a few days it quickly returns so I try to stay on top of it.

Same. The sweet things I used to like not attract me now. I tasted some ice cream yesterday and I felt tooo sweet.