Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chronic stomach pain after WLS ?



Recommended Posts

I’m curious if anyone has experienced any chronic stomach pain or related issues after having there Gastric Bypass or sleeve procedures? Ive heard that this can happen but it seems the majority of people have great outcomes with these surgeries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have acid reflux and some times my food gets stuck,I’m on medication and it works. I also have diverticulitis but half my family have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, no tummy problems here (unless you count regular constipation). Senna has becomes my best friend, LOL, but other than that I'm fine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No tummy pain here either. I had mild gerd before my surgery & still have it. It manifests differently but is easy to manage with meds & diet like it was before. I used to have issues with lactose thanks to a parasite in my lower tummy, upper intestine. Now I don’t have any problems - I think it was hiding in the part of my stomach that was removed. Whoo hoo!! I also used to over produce stomach acid & suffered cutting pain (they thought I had ulcers originally) but haven’t had the pain since surgery. So the sleeve surgery helped me in some unexpected ways.

The only pain I exoerience is the tightness across my chest when my restriction kicks in. It occurs when I’ve eaten too quickly, eaten something that’s sitting heavily in my tummy, or had that extra bite I didn’t need.

Yeah, I have odd issues with constipation like @Jaelzion. I just keep some stool softeners in the bathroom cabinet just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nope - no chronic stomach pain. I would say that's not very common...I don't recall reading posts about it here (and people tend to post when they're experiencing problems), but it could be there have been a handful that I just missed or have forgotten about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing! Your stories are very reassuring! I’m getting the bypass due to my doctors recommendation i had just been diagnosed with some gerd on my preop appt. I had also had cutting pains in my left upper side which turned out to be an ulcer that I was unaware of...I had originally requested the sleeve...and now am wondering if I should have gotten a second opinion on this! I am noticing that many people with gerd are still getting the sleeve and there are less side affects...🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are fewer complications with sleeve, but on the other hand, complications with either surgery aren't very common. And if you do have them, most (for both surgeries) are minor and "fixable". I personally would not let that make or break your decision because most of us sail through these surgeries just fine and don't experience complications.

However, since you have GERD and choose the sleeve, know that you have about a 30% chance of that getting worse. That was the reason I went with bypass instead (and I've been very happy with that decision). Of course, you may be one of the 70% for whom it does NOT get worse. I wasn't willing to take the chance, but you might be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×