Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping Positions, Black&Blue marks,& Chills

:help:Hi Everyone

Just banded yesterday and home today. How does everyone sleep? On your back or does anyone dare to roll onto there side? Also does anyone have black and blue marks by there port site? I have the chills is this normal?

I also just had surgery yesterday and home today. I was able to sleep kinda sorta on my stomach last night and hope to be able to do the same again tonight. Give it a try...it is not horrible. :notagree

After I was first banded I slept sleeping in a recliner with my husband right next to me on the couch.

My bed is really high, so I was not able to get up and in it without severe pain.

When I finally was able to get in bed I slept on my back with pillows under my knees and my back/head elevated. This was really hard for me bc I am a stomach/side sleeper.

Bruising at port site. Normal. They did a lot of "stuff" in there while you were out. Don't worry. If it's red and inflammed, then worry and call the doc. Chills are also normal. Just make sure you don't have a fever. You'll be cold a lot after having this surgery. Somehow it changes your metabolism and regulation of body temperature. I used to be very hot natured. Only slept with a light cotton blanket in winter, and nothing in the summer. Now I have two heavy blankets and socks. Normal temp at our house went from 71 to 75. I slept on my back the first two nights. I slept on my side on night three. I couldn't sleep on my port side until a week out. I still have to arrange a little pillow under my port side, but it gets better almost daily.

My whole left side of belly are shades of blue, black, yellow and green. IT's growing in size and very painful to the touch. Should I be concerned? At least today (day 3) I don't have the gas pains like I did on day 2!!!

I hurt for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks out from the surgery. The bruising really didn't appear in its full glory until about 6-7 days post-op, and then lasted until about the beginning of week three...keep in mind, I am a slow healer.

It hurt really bad to sleep on my right side for about 3 weeks, which I thought was weird because my port is in the center, but I was told it was probably because I was manipulated more on the right side. sleeping on the left or on my back was fine, just turning over was a challenge.

Gas pain for me didn't take hold until about day 3-4 post-op, when the painkillers given intravaneously/intermuscularly in the hospital had really worn off. After a deep-tissue massage at my chiropractor's office and several sessions with a heating pad plus lots of walking, I was fine by the end of the first week. My right shoulder and neck was the epicenter of the gas pain.

By one month out, I felt better than I have since high school, so hang in there. This, too, shall pass, maybe like a kidney stone, but it WILL pass!

I am usually VERY hot natured, and I haven't been anywhere without a light-weight jacket since my surgery six weeks ago, despite 70-80 plus degree temps in south Texas. I even keep a blanket on my recliner.

Also, despite being a slow healer, my incisions were completely healed by day 8 or so post-op. UNBELIEVABLE!

I absolutely froze the first 1-1/2 weeks after my surgery and that was weird for me. I slept in a recliner for about a week. I felt like a recliner was an absolutely needed item. Bruising is normal too, just not heat and redness. Good luck to you.

I thought I was going to have to sleep in my recliner but I decided to try laying down with my body pillow tucked under my belly and between my knees and I was able to get comfortable. It was painful turning over and I made sure that I rolled to my side to get up from that position instead of rising while laying on my back. I slept better than I would have in the recliner as I'm not a back sleeper at all.

hi ladies, I was banded 12/26. a little gassy. I have been sleeping on the couch half laying/sitting. I have noticed if I rest a little bit on my side it tends to relieve some of the gas. I am not ready to sleep in my bed, I might try it in a couple days. DH is missing my warm body. I dont know where my port is, I have 4 incision mid section, a little higher actually and one lonely one just under my bra line, centered perfectly. I started using my giselle glinder today, instant relief from gas. I am not using any pain meds at this time, and when I do I use less than 1/2 the dose.

SC

banded 12/26/07

Yes, contact your doctor right away! Bruising is normal, but swelling a lot is not. You can expect some slight swelling and pain but again you should not be having a lot of swelling.

I have found that the recliner is the best for me.I can get comfortable in bed ,but it is hard to get out without pain. I have very little bruising so far.I have seen the four small holes(healing well) ,but I haven't uncovered the port site.There doesn't seem to be any pain in that area.It does feel as if there is air trapped behind my ribs on the left side. I hope this goes away soon .It is uncomfortable when I need to burp.

On my back, on my heating pad, which helps a great deal. I'm also up every hour or so to walk around, relieve the gas pains.

hi ladies, I was banded 12/26. a little gassy. I have been sleeping on the couch half laying/sitting. I have noticed if I rest a little bit on my side it tends to relieve some of the gas. I am not ready to sleep in my bed, I might try it in a couple days. DH is missing my warm body. I dont know where my port is, I have 4 incision mid section, a little higher actually and one lonely one just under my bra line, centered perfectly. I started using my giselle glinder today, instant relief from gas. I am not using any pain meds at this time, and when I do I use less than 1/2 the dose.

SC

banded 12/26/07

Hi there,

do you mean the giselle GLIDER machine?

Thanks!