Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Energy Level on Pre-Op Diet



Recommended Posts

Hey everyone. I’ve been on the diet for five days. It consists of a Protein Shake for Breakfast, 3 oz lean Protein and 1/2 C cottage cheese at lunch and dinner. I’m allowed one vegetable and fruit per day. No caffeine.

The first three days were hell. Not because of the food restrictions but I think because caffeine restriction. On second and third days it took all my effort just to stay awake. On the fourth day the dr said I could have a small coffee each day for the remaining 7 days of the diet as long as I weaned myself off.

Of course that helped. A lot. The next day, day five, I felt very alert. Enough so I had no coffee at all. Today, on day six, the low energy returned. And though better than day two and three, i couldn’t function without so I had half a cup of coffee.

It’s not shocking to me that I am fatigued on this diet, be it from the restricted calories or the caffeine. What surprises me is the pattern and intensity. Has anyone else experienced an alternating day pattern of energy levels? If so was that due to caffeine withdrawal or calorie restriction in your case? Did it improve after surgery?

I’m worried I will not be able to function after surgery when I cannot have any caffeine at all for a minimum of six weeks.

Edited by readyiam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My energy level was like (-) 100. Doc said it was due to calorie restriction. The level increased post-procedure once I started soft foods . I took frequent naps. Now I have a nap addiction, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, km13118 said:

My energy level was like (-) 100. Doc said it was due to calorie restriction. The level increased post-procedure once I started soft foods . I took frequent naps. Now I have a nap addiction, lol.

Yes me too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If u aren't on them already, maybe a B12 supplement could help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot Decaf tea or coffee might perk you up even without the caffeine. Try that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. I just started B12 a couple days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no energy on the pre-op diet, but my energy rebounded post-op. Also, my surgeon allowed caffeine at my two week f/u to help with constipation. I have been happily consuming daily caffeine since then. I also take the B12 and my energy is great...until about 9 pm when I can’t keep my eyes open. 😂

Good luck! 💕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, readyiam said:

Hey everyone. I’ve been on the diet for five days. It consists of a Protein Shake for Breakfast, 3 oz lean Protein and 1/2 C cottage cheese at lunch and dinner. I’m allowed one vegetable and fruit per day. No caffeine.

The first three days were hell. Not because of the food restrictions but I think because caffeine restriction. On second and third days it took all my effort just to stay awake. On the fourth day the dr said I could have a small coffee each day for the remaining 7 days of the diet as long as I weaned myself off.

Of course that helped. A lot. The next day, day five, I felt very alert. Enough so I had no coffee at all. Today, on day six, the low energy returned. And though better than day two and three, i couldn’t function without so I had half a cup of coffee.

It’s not shocking to me that I am fatigued on this diet, be it from the restricted calories or the caffeine. What surprises me is the pattern and intensity. Has anyone else experienced an alternating day pattern of energy levels? If so was that due to caffeine withdrawal or calorie restriction in your case? Did it improve after surgery?

I’m worried I will not be able to function after surgery when I cannot have any caffeine at all for a minimum of six weeks.

Caffeine was tough for me. The headaches are real. I'm in my third week post and don't even want it anymore. I'm pretty shocked. I have good energy and am just concentrating on Protein and hydration. Try to embrace the changes. Keep your eye on the prize. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WishMeSmaller said:

I had no energy on the pre-op diet, but my energy rebounded post-op. Also, my surgeon allowed caffeine at my two week f/u to help with constipation. I have been happily consuming daily caffeine since then. I also take the B12 and my energy is great...until about 9 pm when I can’t keep my eyes open. 😂

Good luck! 💕

Lucky. I cannot have it for 6 weeks. Hopefully this was more a result of calorie restriction. The more days go by the more energy I have. Still at about 50%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, bufbills said:

Caffeine was tough for me. The headaches are real. I'm in my third week post and don't even want it anymore. I'm pretty shocked. I have good energy and am just concentrating on Protein and hydration. Try to embrace the changes. Keep your eye on the prize. Good luck!

Thanks! Yesterday after Breakfast I was not even hungry the whole rest of the day, though I made myself eat some cottage cheese and broccoli for dinner. I am trying to discern between the head hunger, which I have frequently, and true hunger. Didnt have the true hunger yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×