Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Weight Loss Liquid Diet & second guessing

So I’m scheduled to have my VSG on 8/27. Because I have a fatty liver, I started my pre-op liquid diet on 8/10. For the most part I have followed the diet pretty strict (mine is the true liquid diet) except I substitute an Oikos triple zero for a shake but am still getting 80 grams of Protein and staying between 60-85 grams of protein a day and 650-800 calories.

When I first looked into bariatric surgery back in January of 2020, my weight was 252 and I’m 5’ 8 1/2. Prior to the diet my weight was 236 (my insurance requires 6 months of nutritional visits and I did lose some weight).

Now I’ve dieted off an on for over 15 years and can usually lose 20-30 lbs but it has never stayed off and I revert back to the 250 range which puts me at a BMI above 37. I have fatty liver & sleep apnea and when I made the decision to pursue bariatric surgery it was for my health.

Here is my conundrum, in 11 days I have lost 10 pounds which to me is amazing so I’m now at 226lbs and a BMI around 34.

Why am I now second guessing having surgery??? I know deep down the reason why I’m doing so well and sticking to the diet is because I’m terrified of having a fatty liver during surgery because of the complications (soft livers tear easily).

Have any of you experienced this?

that question and line of thinking is very common. I think a lot of us can relate to that...

I pretty much spent my entire adult life gaining and losing the same 50-ish lbs (I'm 60 years old). I had over 100 to lose (more and more as I got older, as my weight inched up by a few lbs every year). During my six-month supervised diet (required by my insurance company) and my two-week liquid diet, I lost 57 lbs. I thought the same thing - if I can do this on my own, why do I need surgery?

But then, I had lost and gained 50 lbs more times than I can remember - and at that point, I had over 200 to lose. I had to be honest with myself. Maybe this time it would be different, but then, I knew it probably wouldn't.

if you think you can lose your excess weight and maintain it without surgery, then go for it. I knew I couldn't. And statistics show that only about 5% of people can do it. So yes - some can and have. But the odds are not that great. Having weight loss surgery doesn't guarantee you're going to do it, either, but your odds are significantly better.

Oh I’m sure this is just pre-op jitters plus I’m well aware that I need to make as much of a permanent change as I can so I can keep this weight off long term. I might be in the minority here but I truly think I have Megarexia, and all of the sudden when I lose a little weight I think I’m good, but I know I am not and need to make the changes for my long term health.

Presently on liquid diet as instructed by my doctor. Losing pounds, however I am aware that off this liquid diet my weight would become an issue. I struggled with wt for years verses a few weeks with liquid diet losing weight. My choice to avoid other health issues is to go ahead with the surgery and venture onward to a healthier lifestyle. This surgery would focus me on eating healthier and eating junk foods that would cause dumping syndrome for bypass patients. My choice of avoiding dumping syndrome is a number one choice after the surgery on the 28th. Good luck you all on your journey to healthier lifestyle/living.

I went through the same thing right before surgery. My whole process was pretty fast... went from never even thinking about it to surgery in three weeks. By the time i was in the hospital after my 7 day preop diet i was asking myself “hell, just keep doing the preop diet, look at how well this is working and it isn’t permanent...” I meant “isn’t permanent” in regards to having most of my stomach removed, but I also realized that my weight loss (yet again) would also not be permanent. People can and do lose weight permanently without surgery, it’s just rare and i have had enough evidence to know i wouldn’t be one of those people. I’m 70 days post op and so happy i went through with it, wish I did it years ago. It’s a fair question to ask yourself though, because there is no going back from surgery.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:58 PM, MariaC6 said:

I need to make as much of a permanent change as I can so I can keep this weight off long term

I found it helpful to write down the reasons I was having the surgery, like you I second guessed it at the last minute but I knew deep down nothing would change. Writing it down helped keep me focused and it was good to refer back to in the post op period when I wasn't loving the liquid diet. I feel positive about my life and the future for the first time in living memory.

I agree with making a list of reasons why you made the positive decision to have your surgery. Maybe keep a journal during your pre-op time. That way your words can continue to positively inspire you to move forward. Remembering why you even considered the surgery will help strengthen your resolve to reaching your goals!
Best wishes!!!😊

Edited by Kaki68
Addition to post