Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you still in weight loss phase? Keto Snacks, while low in carbs, are high in fat, and still pack alot of calories.

29 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Are you still in weight loss phase? Keto Snacks, while low in carbs, are high in fat, and still pack alot of calories.

Yes, I am actively trying to lose, years after falling off from vsg. I was just curious. I have a horrible sugar addiction, and that brownie caught my eye. 🙄

I'm on maintenance and eat low-carb, low-fat Snacks to satisfy my sweet tooth. They are harder to find, since Keto is all the rage now, but I get most of mine from the Bariatric Pal Store. I still have to watch how much of them I eat. There's a temptation to overdo it because they are "safe" foods.

I am afraid to try any of those "safe" Snacks for fear they might trigger sugar cravings. I bought a bunch of bulk dates a few months ago and have them stored in the freezer. If I need a "sweet," I grab a couple of those frozen dates and suck/chew on them. They are amazingly satisfying, completely natural and unprocessed, and have just enough "sweet" to do the trick.

10 hours ago, Hopefulmommy44 said:

Do ya'll think those low carb-keto Snacks and Desserts are a slippery slope to falling back into bad habits?

All of this low-carb/keto/whatever stuff might be marketed as "healthy" and/or "good for weight loss" but all of these Snacks and treats still contain calories (and usually a truckload of various chemicals), a lot of the time not even significantly less calories than the original stuff while having to pay triple the price.

I personally think these kinds of foods (the ones trying to mimic something else while claiming to be healthier) are usually a rip-off. Of course there are exceptions and depending on the reason it can make sense to buy the mimicking thing, e. g. buying soy or almond milk or lactose free milk when one is lactose intolerant even though the substitutes are more expensive.

Edited by summerset
typo

6 hours ago, summerset said:

I just love this picture!

sugar.thumb.png.6e1c7e1f03df0815656d5abd8817601a.png

You can't forget sodas. I get so excited thinking about that first sip of a L Dr. Pepper w/extra ice from McD. It's been 6 days since I last had one, trying to stay strong. 😩

IMO the "pure sugar things" are easy to substitute: get the diet version. Works also for hard candy and gum.

Think about your poor teeth. I wouldn't want that sugary stuff in my mouth, doesn't have anything to do with calories. The only sugary beverage I have once in a while is a strong espresso with real sugar, but that thing is downed in a minute and not sipped over a longer time span.

4 minutes ago, summerset said:

IMO the "pure sugar things" are easy to substitute: get the diet version. Works also for hard candy and gum.

Think about your poor teeth. I wouldn't want that sugary stuff in my mouth, doesn't have anything to do with calories. The only sugary beverage I have once in a while is a strong espresso with real sugar, but that thing is downed in a minute and not sipped over a longer time span.

I was never a fan of diet drinks. I would rather just go without...I did find a brand of sparkling Water, that I like and Crystal Light mango tea is one of my faves. Those L Dr. Peppers are what got me here, and I try to remember that, before choosing the bad stuff.

10 hours ago, summerset said:

I just love this picture!

sugar.thumb.png.6e1c7e1f03df0815656d5abd8817601a.png

This is SOOOOOOO true! Our ancestors developed taste preferences for sweet, salt, and fat. That guided food choices toward fruit, berries, nuts, seeds, coconuts, and any kind of nutrient dense food that would ensure survival, including carbs like taro, sago, corn, rice, yams, etc. The modern food industry has manipulated those ingrained taste preferences to create addictive food that we cannot resist. Sugar triggers the same addictive centers in the brain as cocaine! Any wonder that so many foods contain sugar that aren't even considered sweet foods? Or sweet foods that contain salt? And then add fat and you have the trifecta of addiction - sugar, salt, and fat. And add some caffeine for a super effect.

Just realizing the intentional manipulation of processed food is enough to keep me away from it. How about the unresistable smell of french fries when you go past a Burger King? Did you know they actually spray that odor in the air to attract customers? No wonder the obesity epidemic is out of control. Stay strong, friends! Don't give in to these ploys to take your money and give you junk food and obesity in return!