Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Waiting Game



Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I just need to get something off my chest in the hopes it'll make me feel better. I had all of my pre-surgery tests on July 29th. I was told I'd be called back within 2 weeks to schedule my surgery. Yesterday was 2 weeks. I've been keeping my phone with me like a magnet with the ringer turned WAY up, even at work. I'm on pins & needles just waiting for the phone to ring. I thought for sure I'd get the call today but it's 2pm and their office closes at 4pm.

I know I'm being impatient & there are more important things in the world so I should just chill but I can't. I'm scared that the tests showed something that will keep me from getting the surgery. I'm scared that they've lost my information. I'm scared that they tried calling me but my phone glitched and I didn't receive the call & they are waiting for me to call them back. I know I could just call the office to see the status but I don't want the office staff to label me as a troublemaker from the very beginning. This whole thing has got me so down. Thanks for "listening"

Edited by RainbowBrite57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That must be so frustrating! I really hate having to call and nag people, too. I encourage you to call the office, though. You don't have to be obnoxious about it, just say you're inquiring about the status of your pre-surgery requirements and want to check if there's anything else they need from you.

I had to call my surgeon's office a couple of times during the process to prompt them, and if I hadn't, I may not have gotten my surgery yet! The first time, they had told me that a psychologist was supposed to call me to schedule a psychological evaluation, but the psychologist never called, so after a few weeks, I called the surgeon's office to ask about it. it turned out that the psychologist had closed his office indefinitely due to COVID-19, and my surgeon's office got me scheduled with someone else. Who knows how long I would have waited if I hadn't called?

The second time, I had completed all my requirements and was waiting for a call about scheduling the surgery, and when I didn't hear from them, I called to ask. It turned out that I had missed their call earlier that day about my insurance denying me and I had to go back to my PCP to get a letter. My phone sometimes goes screwy and sends calls straight to voicemail without registering a missed call, so i wouldn't have known if I hadn't called to check. As long as you're polite (and I bet you are that kind of person), they won't think you're a troublemaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it makes you feel better they told me it'd take two weeks to get approved but it actually took 3.5 weeks for my insurance to approve the surgery. Because it took them so long I'd been convinced they wouldn't approve it because I'd lost so much weight on my own, but in reality they apparently just had a really large backlog so it took them longer to go through my paperwork. Try not to stress, I'm sure it'll happen for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BigSue said:

That must be so frustrating! I really hate having to call and nag people, too. I encourage you to call the office, though. You don't have to be obnoxious about it, just say you're inquiring about the status of your pre-surgery requirements and want to check if there's anything else they need from you.

I had to call my surgeon's office a couple of times during the process to prompt them, and if I hadn't, I may not have gotten my surgery yet! The first time, they had told me that a psychologist was supposed to call me to schedule a psychological evaluation, but the psychologist never called, so after a few weeks, I called the surgeon's office to ask about it. it turned out that the psychologist had closed his office indefinitely due to COVID-19, and my surgeon's office got me scheduled with someone else. Who knows how long I would have waited if I hadn't called?

The second time, I had completed all my requirements and was waiting for a call about scheduling the surgery, and when I didn't hear from them, I called to ask. It turned out that I had missed their call earlier that day about my insurance denying me and I had to go back to my PCP to get a letter. My phone sometimes goes screwy and sends calls straight to voicemail without registering a missed call, so i wouldn't have known if I hadn't called to check. As long as you're polite (and I bet you are that kind of person), they won't think you're a troublemaker.

Thank you so much! You’ve made me feel better about reaching out to them. I’m sorry you had to keep contacting the surgeon’s office though. That had to have been a pain! Once again, thank you! 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

If it makes you feel better they told me it'd take two weeks to get approved but it actually took 3.5 weeks for my insurance to approve the surgery. Because it took them so long I'd been convinced they wouldn't approve it because I'd lost so much weight on my own, but in reality they apparently just had a really large backlog so it took them longer to go through my paperwork. Try not to stress, I'm sure it'll happen for you!

That does make me feel better! I’ve really convinced myself of the worst case scenarios! 😆 I think I’ll find something soothing to do now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not feel bad about contacting your surgeon’s office as long as you are pleasant and considerate when you speak to them. Remember, in this case you are not just a patient, but also a customer that they are going to make a bunch of money for taking care of. Without you (and other patients) there is no them. Btw, I work in a medical clinic as a nurse and sometimes something will fall through the cracks. A gentle reminder you are waiting is completely acceptable. Hope you get your answers soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RainbowBrite57 said:

I just need to get something off my chest in the hopes it'll make me feel better. I had all of my pre-surgery tests on July 29th. I was told I'd be called back within 2 weeks to schedule my surgery. Yesterday was 2 weeks. I've been keeping my phone with me like a magnet with the ringer turned WAY up, even at work. I'm on pins & needles just waiting for the phone to ring. I thought for sure I'd get the call today but it's 2pm and their office closes at 4pm.

I know I'm being impatient & there are more important things in the world so I should just chill but I can't. I'm scared that the tests showed something that will keep me from getting the surgery. I'm scared that they've lost my information. I'm scared that they tried calling me but my phone glitched and I didn't receive the call & they are waiting for me to call them back. I know I could just call the office to see the status but I don't want the office staff to label me as a troublemaker from the very beginning. This whole thing has got me so down. Thanks for "listening"

Omg....I am currently doing the exact same thing I have been waiting and waiting for some news from my doctors office my paper work was submitted to insurance Friday and I know its only been a few days but it's like my new life is waiting.

Please keep us/me posted if you receive any good news Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All! I’m new to this site, but I also waited 3 weeks for someone to call me about surgery. I reached out to my pcp and weight loss dr. Finally received my call late Monday afternoon, had my appointment and preop procedures today and scheduled for surgery tomorrow.
Stay encouraged, when you get your call things are going to move quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through this about a year ago. I am pretty sure I got labeled a troublemaker not with my practice but with my insurance. I called my insurance to ask for an update status on the paperwork 2xs a week (they told me it could take up to 3 weeks for a decision)and to ask if they needed anything additional submitted to make the approval an easier process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, WishMeSmaller said:

Do not feel bad about contacting your surgeon’s office as long as you are pleasant and considerate when you speak to them. Remember, in this case you are not just a patient, but also a customer that they are going to make a bunch of money for taking care of. Without you (and other patients) there is no them. Btw, I work in a medical clinic as a nurse and sometimes something will fall through the cracks. A gentle reminder you are waiting is completely acceptable. Hope you get your answers soon!

I appreciate the assurance that it's ok to call. So true about them making $$$ off me, ha! I'll be sure to be very polite when I call and hopefully I can get some answers. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DwGirl said:

Omg....I am currently doing the exact same thing I have been waiting and waiting for some news from my doctors office my paper work was submitted to insurance Friday and I know its only been a few days but it's like my new life is waiting.

Please keep us/me posted if you receive any good news Good luck

Ugh,the waiting is so not fun. Everyday seems to last an eternity, right?!? I hope you hear from your doctor soon!!! Our new life is just around the corner. I'll update when I finally get my date! Good luck to you too!!! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Camillia said:

Hi All! I’m new to this site, but I also waited 3 weeks for someone to call me about surgery. I reached out to my pcp and weight loss dr. Finally received my call late Monday afternoon, had my appointment and preop procedures today and scheduled for surgery tomorrow.
Stay encouraged, when you get your call things are going to move quickly

How exciting!!! I'm happy the ball is rolling fast for you. I wish you all the luck in the world with your surgery! You'll do great. I hope you have an easy recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jdymitc said:

I went through this about a year ago. I am pretty sure I got labeled a troublemaker not with my practice but with my insurance. I called my insurance to ask for an update status on the paperwork 2xs a week (they told me it could take up to 3 weeks for a decision)and to ask if they needed anything additional submitted to make the approval an easier process.

You had every right to call for updates & you were being nice about it too! I was lucky on the insurance front, it just took a few days to get my approval. I'm obsessively checking my phone today & I even called it from my work phone to make sure it was working. 🤣 I'm ridiculous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally called the surgeon's office this morning & received my surgery date of September 9th. I'll be counting the days! It's time to get my head in the right place, purchase all the necessities & do the prep work, as well as get my mess of a house cleaned up! Woo hoo!

DwGirl, any update on getting your phone call?

Thanks for all the support, y'all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, RainbowBrite57 said:

I finally called the surgeon's office this morning & received my surgery date of September 9th.

Congrats! The time will fly by and surgery day will be here before you know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×