Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upcoming surgery and"The Plague"

With the way the C-17 or what ever they're calling it is spreading I had a thought. I've got my 2 week pre-op surgery meeting with the surgeon on Monday as well as other tests on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I was thinking about asking him to write me out of work untill surgery so I don't end up with it. I have to travel extensively as well as fly at least once per week. Am I crazy, or would this be a good idea?

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

Has anyone heard actual cases of hospitals canceling or postponing elective surgeries?

Ebbii, I think it would be very wise for your surgeon to ground you from travel.

I work in Special Events so I've been involved in lots of conversations with Health Department Officials. While there's no reason to panic, this is something to be taken seriously.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I apologize if this is an ignorant & anxiety driven comment but does vgs put us at higher risk for complications associated with c-17 if otherwise healthy ?

1 hour ago, Sared said:

I apologize if this is an ignorant & anxiety driven comment but does vgs put us at higher risk for complications associated with c-17 if otherwise healthy ?

I don't think so. IN THIS WAY I think it's like the flu. :)

Covid-19 is the illness causes by the coronavirus. Yes, it spreads just like the flu. Odds are the mortality rate isn't as high as it seems compared to the flu because millions more people get flu tests than are tested for Covid-19. People are panicking because there is little medical response available other than respite care because there is no "vaccine" available like for the flu--yet. Most people who get this are fine. I'm scheduled at a facility with 3 cases in Washington, I have heart disease and asthma which triggers to respiratory illnesses and before yesterday I worked in an elementary school: a hotbed of germs. Am I freaked out? Hell no. I'm not gross, and I wash my hands!!

Now, there is a possibilty of elective surgeries being canceled. Some Seattle area hospitals have done so. Other smaller hospitals in the region have also done so. My hospital has said no visitors so even if I have surgery I will have to go it alone until discharge. I plan to contact my surgeon's office on Monday after my nutrition class if they don't have info because I am on Day 4 of the evil liquid diet, and I don't want to keep doing this if I have to do it again this summer. But am I freaking out about any of this other than a 500-700 all liquid diet torture being unnecessary? Nope!

Edited by Cia2020

The hospital that I work at hasn't talked about cancelling any surgerys yet, but so far we have no Covid cases. I have a feeling that once we get our first case everyone will panic and they will cancel.

Good luck to y'all out there waiting for your surgery--I hope you can get it!

1 hour ago, Cia2020 said:

Covid-19 is the illness causes by the coronavirus. Yes, it spreads just like the flu. Odds are the mortality rate isn't as high as it seems compared to the flu because millions more people get flu tests than are tested for Covid-19. People are panicking because there is little medical response available other than respite care because there is no "vaccine" available like for the flu--yet. Most people who get this are fine. I'm scheduled at a facility with 3 cases in Washington, I have heart disease and asthma which triggers to respiratory illnesses and before yesterday I worked in an elementary school: a hotbed of germs. Am I freaked out? Hell no. I'm not gross, and I wash my hands!!

Now, there is a possibilty of elective surgeries being canceled. Some Seattle area hospitals have done so. Other smaller hospitals in the region have also done so. My hospital has said no visitors so even if I have surgery I will have to go it alone until discharge. I plan to contact my surgeon's office on Monday after my nutrition class if they don't have info because I am on Day 4 of the evil liquid diet, and I don't want to keep doing this if I have to do it again this summer. But am I freaking out about any of this other than a 500-700 all liquid diet torture being unnecessary? Nope!

LOL @ evil liquid diet! Need some humor these days. I'm at day 14; started early and surgery pushed to Wednesday. I do hope that you can get yours done. Whatever is going on in WA state, I figure that the rest of the country is not far behind.

@Mello1 Right? 3 Protein Shakes a day and a cup of Bone Broth. Living the dietary dream... of staying close to the toilet! Well, looking for a silver lining, with school canceled until April 27th, at least, if my surgery goes forward I have A LOT more recovery time than my original go back of the 9th.

Good luck on Wednesday!!

Edited by Cia2020

3 minutes ago, Cia2020 said:

@Mello1 Right? 3 Protein Shakes a day and a cup of Bone Broth. Living the dietary dream... of staying close to the toilet! Well, looking for a silver lining, with school canceled until April 27th, at least, if my surgery goes forward I have A LOT more recovery time than my original go back of the 9th.

Good luck on Wednesday!!

Thanks! Toilet? I wish. I'm having the opposite problem now. I had a colonic done and thank goodness! Having bad Constipation now. That reminds me that I need to get back on this pre/probiotic now!

Cancelation of surgery will depend on where your hospital is and the number of cases in that area. The cancelation would not be because it puts surgical patients at risk. It will be because hospitals are flooded with cases and not enough healthcare workers and beds/equipment at the time your surgery is supposed to happen. Priority for beds/equipment/resources will be for those seriously ill from Covid-19 with life-threatening conditions.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

I would much rather have my issue, lol!! Do you take magnesium citrate? I do a daily 5k and have horrible leg cramps so the WLC nurse put me on that Vitamin supplement. Trust me when I say the next morning I can tell when I took my 2 pre-bedtime pills!! No one better get between my treadmill and the bathroom when I kickstart my digestive system. Vitamins, Water, food, Protein, fiber... it's all part and parcel with this process. I also made sure to get imodium and MoM so I have all bases covered.

1 hour ago, Cia2020 said:

I would much rather have my issue, lol!! Do you take magnesium citrate? I do a daily 5k and have horrible leg cramps so the WLC nurse put me on that Vitamin supplement. Trust me when I say the next morning I can tell when I took my 2 pre-bedtime pills!! No one better get between my treadmill and the bathroom when I kickstart my digestive system. Vitamins, Water, food, Protein, fiber... it's all part and parcel with this process. I also made sure to get imodium and MoM so I have all bases covered.

Thanks for the advice! I don't usually get this way, but because of the stoppage of supplements, I haven't been taking anything. I will get right on this! Wow! You do 5k??? Impressive!

Has anyone heard actual cases of hospitals canceling or postponing elective surgeries?

Ebbii, I think it would be very wise for your surgeon to ground you from travel.

I work in Special Events so I've been involved in lots of conversations with Health Department Officials. While there's no reason to panic, this is something to be taken seriously.

Unfortunately my surgeon wouldn't do it. Right now I'm still on schedule, but I'm fingers crossed

The hospital mine is to be done at cancelled all elective surgery March 23-27