Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing too much weight, yeah it's real.

I don't have a horrible story for you, sorry. I was 378 pounds when i started this process. I'm now 169 pounds and struggling to gain weight. I'm not sure if this has ever been a topic here but i'd like to start it............ I'd like for those of you who are a year old after surgery and went hardcore like i did to reach out to me. I want to be 185 ish or so anything between 200 and 185 is fine. Looking to talk to others that lost massive weight, took this serious, and are serious about maintaining it. Hit me up in private messages if you have to.

I don't know how far out from surgery you are, but A LOT of us gain 10-20 lbs (if not more) during year 3. So I wouldn't struggle too hard to gain weight - it's likely to just happen...

...also there are LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of folks on here who went through the "I'm losing too much weight" phase after reaching/surpassing goal (myself included). It takes a while with some trial and error to figure out your sweet spot of not gaining nor losing.

The common successful process is to up your calories by 100 every week/couple of weeks and see how your body responds. You may lose some more weight during this process, but you will eventually find your maintenance calories for your intended body weight.

P.S. It took me 3-4 months after deciding to stop losing weight plus another 12-15 lbs of additional weight loss to stabilize (Goal weight was 127, lost down to 113, am now settling in between 115-120). Like you, I reached goal in 7 months by being militant about my diet and exercise. It was a little difficult switching gears, but I got there eventually (I am 1 year, 4 months out now)

i am 15 months out. I am at 153.. while my goal is 145... i still have skin surgery coming so now i feel that every pound loss is going to put me under my goal. My surgeon already moved my appt from April to End of June because i am still losing without trying. This is now becoming a concern for me. When i talked to her last week i was 157.6... today i am 153. If i lose 6 more before end of june she is going to push it out again.

9 minutes ago, Jazzy1125 said:

i am 15 months out. I am at 153.. while my goal is 145... i still have skin surgery coming so now i feel that every pound loss is going to put me under my goal. My surgeon already moved my appt from April to End of June because i am still losing without trying. This is now becoming a concern for me. When i talked to her last week i was 157.6... today i am 153. If i lose 6 more before end of june she is going to push it out again.

do you mean your plastic surgeon is pushing out the date? I know it's frustrating, but she's right. You need to be at a stable weight before having plastic surgery. A 10 lb gain or loss can affect your results. In fact, some plastic surgeons require you to be at a stable weight for 6-12 months...

By the numbers I’m 11 months and 24 days out. BMI is 18.94. Underweight is BMI of 18.49 or less. I freaked out for a minute too but I seem to have stabilized. It’s a lot of mental work when you’re going through this process...

I am a year out and maintaining now for 5 months, However, I am finding it very challenging to maintain when I step up my exercise. I am training toward my 2nd triathlon, a rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike, and a 100 mile bike race. I still have a lot of restriction and it is impossible for me to eat enough volume to keep my weight up. I saw a nutritionist yesterday and she encouraged more concentrated foods like more nuts/seeds, nut butters, and dried fruit. It is still very much an experiential process. I am committed to whole foods - nothing processed or artificial, so I cannot and will not rely on cheap, non nutrient carb fillers. I eat an extraordinary amount of carbs in the form of whole grains, starchy vegetables, fruits, and legumes. And I have to basically eat all day long to get in enough calories. This is not the way I want to eat, but it is what it is. I am eating all healthy foods - it just takes a LOT of them. I feel your pain. I guess if I wanted to gain an extra 10 or 15 pounds, I would add some Protein Bars during the daily food count.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:52 PM, catwoman7 said:

do you mean your plastic surgeon is pushing out the date? I know it's frustrating, but she's right. You need to be at a stable weight before having plastic surgery. A 10 lb gain or loss can affect your results. In fact, some plastic surgeons require you to be at a stable weight for 6-12 months...

That is correct.. I understand it but still frustrated LOL.. And now i am at 152.. i am almost sure this surgery wont happen now till next year. My doctor requires 3 to 6 months of stability before doing it. Its all good tho, give me more time to accumulate the funds needed so i dont have to throw it on a credit card LOL... I just have a lot going on this year like my best friends wedding and i dont want to have the surgery interfere with my travel plans, but also wanted it done before her wedding.. just being selfish i guess lol

Edited by Jazzy1125