Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post-op return to work

I will be having my surgery in January. I am curious as to how soon after surgery your doctor recommended/released you to return to work. As part of the initial seminar, they say you can have your surgery, go home the same day (if all is well), and return to work the very next day. How realistic is this? thanks.:ranger:

I could not have gone back to work the next day. I was banded on Thursday and went back to work Tuesday and it was doable but I would have loved another day or two. I'm a teacher and on my feet a lot but I have some time between classes when I could rest a bit. A lot depends on your job.

I took 2 weeks, but only because I had sick days available. I could've easily gone back after 1 week. The second week I just considered a mental health week to catch up and get aquainted with my new band and eating schedule. I had my surgery on Monday and didn't actually feel good until Saturday. Of course I had staples in my inscisions and they didn't get removed until the Wednesday of the 2nd week. They really started to itch and bother me by then. If you have the time, don't rush it.

I stayed overnight in the hospital, since I was banded out of town and had to be there to do the barium swallow anyway. I can't imagine going back to work the next day. I had surgery on Monday and had it very easy. No pain meds once out of recovery room. No shoulder pain. No nausea. But, I was very swollen with gas and sitting at my desk would have been tough. Also, had some "looseness" inside and would have hated to run to the ladies room. Yikes. By Thursday, I could have gone back, but I was worried I might catch one of the colds that was going around the office. I went in half a day on Friday and was back full time on Monday.

My surgery clinic recommended 2-3 weeks before returning to work. I took short term disability and was off for 2.5 weeks. I think that was the perfect amount of time for me. I wasn't required to take sick or vacation time.

I had my surgery on a thursday, came home friday night. Couldn't keep any liquids or pain meds down on Saturday and went to the ER that night. I stayed in again until the following Tuesday. (I had a lot of inflamation and couldn't handle the pain meds and was super dehydrated) So there is NO way I could have gone back within a week even.

Everyone is different though. I tend to heal slower in general.

There is no way i would go back to work the next day. this is the next day for me, and i am still in pain, and on pain meds. So, I have taken 2wks as well. The first week to get over the hump of pain, and the second for getting to be friends with my band! :)

Good luck in Jan. It will be a blessing (after the first month, lol)

Debbie

of course every one is different.

I was banded on a Tuesday am...stayed overnight...back to work on Monday. Really felt better by Wednesday. I was taking a daily nap up until day 10. Tocay I am 14 days out and I finally feel back to my oldself

sidenote: you shouldnt drive if you are on narcotics

Yes - everyone is different. There have been a few threads posing this question (do a quick search to locate them), and the general consensus seems to be that 1 week out of work is average. It all depends on your job though.

I have a desk job so it was easier for me to return on Monday (after a previous Thursday surgery). The difficulty was that my job requires me to *think* -- novel concept, I know! It was difficult to concentrate on tasks while taking pain meds. In my case, I was on Percocet, and thus difficult to actually work! I left each day around 4:30 (I usually work 9 - 6), and went home and took a nap. I made sure we didn't have any social event or after-work stuff to attend to -- I think that helped as well.

As soon as I shifted off of Percocet and on to Extra Strength liquid Tylenol, that made all the difference! I was alert and able to focus at work.

There's only one person I ever read in these threads who said (bragged) he went back to work the next day--I have always maintained he was a boss!! ("Doris, bring me my coffee and newspaper..." :) )

At six days I was getting dressed for the first time and having my staples removed--some docs use steri-strips, which are probably less painful.

I have a great employer, with full pay for up to two months, so I took almost three weeks--but I would say at two weeks I could have easily gone back to my desk job.

Good luck in your travels...

I was banded on the 16th and I am going back ro work tomorrow. I have a very labor intensive job, I am a mail carrier for the post office and this is our busiest season so I hope i have taken long enough. The only thing that actually even has any discomfort left is my port area and that is only when I bump it.

I was banded on Thursday and went back to work on the following Monday. I work in an office at my husband's company so I went back with the stipulation that I was going to listen to my body and go home and rest when I felt it necessary. Looking back, I definitely jumped in too soon and should have taken at least one week off completely. I think because of that, it took me a little longer than most to finally feel "back to normal". I say, if you can take the time do!

Kathy

Banded 10/24/07

Starting weight 282

Present weight 242

i was banded on a thursday, and i went back to work on Tuesday, but i only lasted a half of a day. i took a couple of other half days over the next two weeks due to stabbing left side pain, but other than being really tired, i felt pretty good.

this is absolutely no way i could have gone back to work the next day. i joke now, but i was in a catatonic state. i literally sat up on the couch all day with my head tilted to the side and my mouth open. occasionaly i would make some sane attempt to converse with the people around me, but it only made me appear more insane (i was drugged from the anestesia at the hospital..it has lingering effects).

I went back 1 week after but I was extremely tired and sore. I have a sit down at a computer job as well. So make sure you allow yourself the time to heal that you need. It is not so much about being able as to being tired.

This surgery takes alot out of you, simply because of the liquid diet and lower caloric intake than our bodies are normally used too.

It takes time for our bodies to readjust to the new metabolic changes caused by all of this.