Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting the process!

I just started the process of inquiring into Bariatric Surgery even though I’ve been considering it for years. I’m 43 and have been overweight since I graduated from high school. I’m currently 5’9, 254, and my BMI is 37.

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos hypothyroidism 3 years ago. I suffer from GERD and recently found out that I have high cholesterol and Hepatic Steatosis. My endocrinologist just ordered a sleep apnea test for me because she thinks I might also have that.

Within the last 6 years I’ve tried every weight loss medication out there and have had some success but have always gained the weight back.

Once I found out I had fatty liver disease (I had an MRI for abdominal pain) I decided I really needed to get serious and do something about my weight and my health.

I know I have a food addiction and also a crappy metabolism due to my thyroid issues.

So the first thing I did was contact my insurance company to see if it was a covered benefit and what the plan rules were. My insurance is BCBC of Michigan (Although I live in Ohio and it’s administered through Medical Mutual), covers bariatric surgery 100% if I have qualifying comorbidities. The insurance requires that I have tried a medically supervised diet for six months within the last 4 years (which I actually did in 2018- I was on Saxenda for 7 months and only lost 20 lbs but gained that back).

Once I found out that it might be covered, I contacted 3 hospitals to inquire about bariatric surgery. (I did this in Jan. 5th). All three Hospitals have forms that you fill out on their websites after your watch a mandatory video. I guess now it’s a waiting game for the Hospitals to get back to you? One of my friends had WLS last year and she told me that it could take a few weeks before the hospitals call you back.

I am very happy that I have stumbled upon this website! I have already learned so much from all of you sharing your stories.

You fit right in with the rest of us. I poured over this site both before and after surgery and it continues to be a source of information and support for me. Welcome to this site and good luck on your weight loss journey.

Welcome! I believe in "doing your homework" before getting any WLS-the more you know the better prepared you will be, and the less scary everything will seem. I practically lived on this site for the two months before my procedure!

On 1/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, MariaC6 said:

I just started the process of inquiring into Bariatric Surgery even though I’ve been considering it for years. I’m 43 and have been overweight since I graduated from high school. I’m currently 5’9, 254, and my BMI is 37.

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos hypothyroidism 3 years ago. I suffer from GERD and recently found out that I have high cholesterol and Hepatic Steatosis. My endocrinologist just ordered a sleep apnea test for me because she thinks I might also have that.

Within the last 6 years I’ve tried every weight loss medication out there and have had some success but have always gained the weight back.

Once I found out I had fatty liver disease (I had an MRI for abdominal pain) I decided I really needed to get serious and do something about my weight and my health.

I know I have a food addiction and also a crappy metabolism due to my thyroid issues.

So the first thing I did was contact my insurance company to see if it was a covered benefit and what the plan rules were. My insurance is BCBC of Michigan (Although I live in Ohio and it’s administered through Medical Mutual), covers bariatric surgery 100% if I have qualifying comorbidities. The insurance requires that I have tried a medically supervised diet for six months within the last 4 years (which I actually did in 2018- I was on Saxenda for 7 months and only lost 20 lbs but gained that back).

Once I found out that it might be covered, I contacted 3 hospitals to inquire about bariatric surgery. (I did this in Jan. 5th). All three Hospitals have forms that you fill out on their websites after your watch a mandatory video. I guess now it’s a waiting game for the Hospitals to get back to you? One of my friends had WLS last year and she told me that it could take a few weeks before the hospitals call you back.

I am very happy that I have stumbled upon this website! I have already learned so much from all of you sharing your stories.

Hi! I’m in the beginning stages with you, just don’t have to do any supervised dieting. I too had to watch an online webinar and they wanted me to wait to be contacted, but I am the type of person who needs info right away.. soooo I ended up calling lol. Things have gotten started super fast though! I started the process December 31st & have already met my surgeon & dietician. Now I have to complete an MRI, I see the Endocrine doctor Friday, I get the equipment for sleep study the 29th so the ball is definitely rolling! Good luck with everything & it’s nice to meet you! Keep us posted!

@danielleleigh90. That’s awesome! I did follow up with one hospital by phone to see if maybe I was missing something and was told that once someone completes the online form, they are put into a queue and will have their insurance informations checked out and then contacted to start the process. I was also told this time of year was a little busy with everyone wanting to start the new year with new goals so I’m trying to be patient. I have found that watching YouTube vlogs of those that have undergone the procedure have been very informative, especially the vlogs that are one week post op. Good luck to you and keep posting!

1 hour ago, MariaC6 said:

@danielleleigh90. That’s awesome! I did follow up with one hospital by phone to see if maybe I was missing something and was told that once someone completes the online form, they are put into a queue and will have their insurance informations checked out and then contacted to start the process. I was also told this time of year was a little busy with everyone wanting to start the new year with new goals so I’m trying to be patient. I have found that watching YouTube vlogs of those that have undergone the procedure have been very informative, especially the vlogs that are one week post op. Good luck to you and keep posting!

That's so bomb! I basically found out all my insurance information on my own (because I'm THAT annoying lol). Initially, the doctor was telling me that I had a 6 month supervised diet time frame, but I confirmed with the insurance that I don't. Prior to confirming this they set me up with 2 supervised visits, which I don't mind at all because it'll just keep the doctor updated. My psych is March 3rd and hopefully I'll get an April date...I have graduation in May...So It would be bomb if I could have it before then! I'll definitely check out youtube though! Since my start, I've been a bit obsessed so I look for information EVERYWHERE. I will admit I am a bit worried that I don't have any diagnosed comorbidities, but I do have a big family history of GERD, Diabetes and Heart Disease. I also suffer from Anxiety & Depression, so hopefully that is enough! I'm remaining positive though, the forums DEFINITELY give me comfort

I have hashimotos hypothyroidism as well, just started my process as well. Working on my head now, going to get right so I don’t fail miserably. CW 306 😕

Update, so I received a packet from one of the Hospitals that I contact which requires me to get it filled out from a physician recommending me for the surgery. I have an appointment with my Primary Care Doctor tomorrow to discuss my decision to pursue bariatric surgery.

Kind of an update I guess, apparently one of the Hospitals I contacted had contacted me right away and I didn’t realize this until yesterday when I was clearing voicemails from my cell phone (no clue how I missed this!).

Anyway, so I called the Hospital back and spoke with a Patient Navigator and she emailed me a packet of information and a packet for me to fill out which I did that same day. I really like that they seem to be on top of everything.  While we were on the phone we scheduled a tentative “surgery consultation appointment” for January 30th. I say tentative because she indicated that they will have to check my current comorbidities with my insurance since my BMI is 36.2 (I have high cholesterol but I am not on any meds and I do also have NAFLD/ Hepatic Steatosis).

I am already scheduled to have a sleep apnea test done on the 22nd of this month and apparently if I do have sleep apnea, that’s a for sure comorbidity with my insurance. My Endocrinologist (who treats me for hypothyroid Hashimotos) ordered the sleep apnea test last month so that was already in the works so the timing just happened to coincide. I guess I will know shortly if the insurance will cover or not.

Kind of an update I guess, apparently one of the Hospitals I contacted had contacted me right away and I didn’t realize this until yesterday when I was clearing voicemails from my cell phone (no clue how I missed this!).

Anyway, so I called the Hospital back and spoke with a Patient Navigator and she emailed me a packet of information and a packet for me to fill out which I did that same day. I really like that they seem to be on top of everything. While we were on the phone we scheduled a tentative “surgery consultation appointment” for January 30th. I say tentative because she indicated that they will have to check my current comorbidities with my insurance since my BMI is 36.2 (I have high cholesterol but I am not on any meds and I do also have NAFLD/ Hepatic Steatosis).

I am already scheduled to have a sleep apnea test done on the 22nd of this month and apparently if I do have sleep apnea, that’s a for sure comorbidity with my insurance. My Endocrinologist (who treats me for hypothyroid Hashimotos) ordered the sleep apnea test last month so that was already in the works so the timing just happened to coincide. I guess I will know shortly if the insurance will cover or not.
I am close to your stats... I'm 39 5'7 and around 245#. My surgery is on the 27th. I too have been overweight my whole life but was always relatively fit and healthy. In the last two years I developed GERD and bile reflux so severe I am on 4 medications to mitigate it to prevent my body from burning away my insides. That's why I chose the RNY and am so excited to hopefully fix my gerd!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk