Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Your 20's And Had Surgery?

Has anyone gotten the LAP Band who are in their 20's? I'm just curious how the surgery (both emotional and physical) has gone for young people? I'm a few weeks away from surgery and am 26-years-old.

I am 26 years old today. That being said... you can never be too prepared. I read and read and read until my eyes hurt, but everyone is different. You will experience different things than other people. Some things you will know from reading but I am telling you, until YOU actually go through it there is no way to know how you will react both physically and emotionally. I will not lie to you. This is a tough journey but the rewards will be great. I am proud to say that I do not regret this, but I have really tough moments namely when something gets stuck. But you will learn your limitations and eventually learn to deal with the array of emotions you feel along the way. I feel pretty normal again. I can still eat too much after one fill, but I understand it may take more fills to get where I want to be. To sum it all up, go forth armed with knowledge. Read the good and the bad and everything in between so you will be prepared and understand what is happening to you. It will help in those times you may be caught up in the emotions. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Well,

I saw this thread and just had to post. Technically, I am in my twenties. I am getting the band on wednesday, Nov. 28. That is just 10 days before I turn 30! So, I havn't had the band yet, but I will be banded in my 20's. (just not for very long...LOL)

Anyway, I can not wait to get the band and get things worked out to the "sweet-spot". I have lost 20 lbs pre-op... I can't imagine what I am going to lose once I get restriction and am fully recovered so I can really work out! I have about 200 lbs. to lose and I plan on working my tush off to get it off too!

I have had mild bouts of depression here and there and I think the healthier me will be rid of this for good!

I'm 24 and I'll be banded Dec, 7th. I anticipate that it's going to really force me to make changes to my life, especially since right now friends and I usually get together for dinner and drinks a couple times a week. They're going to be positive changes, but still changes I need to get use to non-the-less. Good luck with your surgery. I think I've seen a thread on here for younger bandsters where most people are in their 20's or younger.

Meghan

I am 25 and was banded 09/24/07. It was one of the best decisions of my life. I hated who I had become but now I am a different person. I never wanted to go out. I never wanted to try new things. I was depressed and had given up. Now I have so much energy. I want to try new things, for example last weekend I drove a four wheeler (never would have before the band). It has been emotional. I have lost some of my focus at school and am having to re-define me. It is true that no matter how much reading and researching you do about the band you won't know what is like until you get it done. I am still struggling with what I should and should not be eating. I have not had any pain associated with the band (thank God) but I still have guilty feelings about food. The thing is that this whole process is just as much a mental journey as it is physical. You will not regret having the surgery and having while you are still young means that you have more life to live as the new healthy, thin and active you!! Good Luck!!!

I'm 27 - banded 11/15/07. I toyed with the idea of LapBand for a year. Then really started into the hardcore researching in Sept/Oct. Thought I was so prepared and so ready and the night before my surgery, I had the first panic attack of my life. I was so freaked out. Head issues with the whole getting skinny thing. Long post and not for here. But physically, feeling pretty good. I didn't have the incredible shoulder pain that people talk about. Gas pains weren't too bad, either. 2 days after surgery I walked a mile total. My only problem is port pain right now. Everything else seems to be going quite well. I swear my belly is getting flatter by the day...and I mean flatter than it was BEFORE the surgery when they puffed in all that CO2. I'm doing my best to stay away from the scale because I know this part is not about weight loss - it's about healing. My incisions are starting to itch indicating they are healing. Nothing major. Yes, I had pain, but if I had to do it all over again - I would in a heartbeat. Nothing to it.

My lap band experience has been good. I got banded 10 days before my 28th birthday. Physically, I am doing great. I had little to no pain after surgery and the weight loss is making me feel better.

Emotional is a different thing. The band can only help you phyiscally. I think I still need to work on the mentaln issues I have with food. I would like to do some therapy next year.

Ithink I was as prepared as I could be. You think you know what to expect, but it's 1/2 of what I expected and rest I am still learning. I honestly wish I could have gotten the surgery when I was younger, but I am glad I have it.

I am 25 and hope to be banded in dec. My life has been nothing but crap for me. I truely believe that this will change things. I have researched and am ready! I understand that eating will be different. But the fact is this--we have made food the center of our social gatherings. Food is what people do. That is why we are so overweight. My friends call and say hey lets go hang out and I'm like sure you wanna go see a movie...no lets go out to eat!!

I'm ready for food to no longer be the most important thing in my life....

I think what really turned things around for me was 2 years ago I was walking into a gas station and some guy yelled--"hey girl you need to lose weight" I said a few choice words but that really hurt...and what sux even more is I have gained more weight since then.....its sad to know that your husband (Idont care what any man says) would rather look at other women than you...hes says he doesnt but deep down inside i know the truth....Anyway, I think that this will better me as a person. I am willing to go thru whatever it takes!

I was banded on 11/1/07 and so far I am feeling great. My nutritionist asked me to proceed with regular food once I hit the three week post surgery mark and even though I was looking forward to that, I still feel restricted and have not made terrible choices with food.< /p>

I made my decision to have this surgery pretty quick because I refuse to be fat at 30. I also want to have a family and there was no way I could justify adding 30lbs of baby weight on my 5'2 239lbs frame...

I proceeded with the surgery even before I knew if the insurance would cover it (paid $13,000) and waited four weeks, insurance approved and they will reimburse me...

All in all, I think this is the best decision of my life...I have no regrets yet...

I'm 25, been fat forever. Since I was like 6 years old.

This band, which has only been in place since Oct 23, 07 has completely and uttery changed my life. All the sudden, everything is getting better. I've lost 26 pounds so far, and gained a helluva lot of attention from men my age.

I'd say the insurance approval and the procedure itself were the most mentally taxing for me. Insurance is a bunch of malarky, and of course, there are always concerns about the operation itself, but I researched and trusted my surgeon.

Beyond that, I live in a warm place (smack in the middle of a desert in far far west texas) and the weather changed, I got really really sick right after the surgery. Thats also pretty stressful. I only took 5 days off of work, and was fine to return the next week.

To be honest, the worst pain is the gas pain, but if you walk it out like youre supposed too, it really helps.

Listen, its not an easy choice to make, but I thank God I made it every day :)

I am 27 and have been banded now for almost 10 months. Physically I think surgery is easier on us because we are younger and we can get up and move and exercise. Emotionally however I think it is a little bit tougher. In my experience it seems that the older bandsters are more mentally prepared for the surgery. It's harder when you are younger and going out with friends constantly and wanting to still "live the life" but having the restriction of a band along with it. I often say that getting this band was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but it is the best thing I have done in my life. You definitely get out whatever you put into it. You can do it and you will do great just as long as you are putting forth the effort.

I'm 21 and had my surgery 3 weeks ago. I notice that the main complaint people who have had the band make is that they wish they had it done when they were younger. Well, we're young and most likely still quite healthy. But in 10-20 years, if we don't change our ways one way or another, we could have some serious health issues. I knew I'd be a yo-yo dieter my entire life if I didn't do something drastic now. So far I'm extremely happy with my choice. It's nice to know that a healthier and happier me is just around the corner.

I am 28 and was banded on 9-13-07. Prior to surgery I was pretty much a slug (not doing more than I had to, no energy or ambition) I spent most of my time at home and it was like pulling teeth to get me to join in pretty much everything. It's funny now that I read what I'm writing here because it's hard to believe that I was okay with living like that. Since I've been banded I have so much energy that my 10 year old often asks me to give her a break..lol! I find myself wanting to go out into the world and do things I would never have considered before. I want to run wild and free and to explore everything! I feel like I've been liberated in a sense. I have lost almost 50 pounds but have gained a whole new outlook on life. I am liking myself for the first time in a very very long time. I am so glad that I did this now and didn't wait (like I am prone to doing) I am healthier, I am happier, and I'll be around a whole lot longer to enjoy life now!

:whoo:yipee! lol

p.s.- I need update my ticker...I have lost 48.5 pounds

I am 23 and was banded May 31st 2007. I have lost 67lbs so far and my friends are constantly telling me how great I look and that I am the amazing shrinking woman. I am doing things I never could before and I am a much happier person. I would do it again a million times over