Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ge junction with mucosal tear during balloon dilation?

I’ve been taking things in stride as best I can but am rather miffed at doctors and events today so I am just going to rant even though I need to be trying to sleep.

Prior to my gastric bypass surgery and gallbladder removal My gastroenterologist insisted I have a colonoscopy due to the fact that previous ct scan had shown severe narrowing of my colon and a recent ct showed possible colitis. But the colonoscopy had to wait until after my surgery.

I went through three days of Clear Liquids and hellish prep trying to swallow the required liquids. While the nurse was great I was literally the last patient and they were already starting to close down the facility before my procedure started. I had an unusually hard time waking up from the sedation and just wanted to close my eyes but they were in a hurry to get me out, I was barely awake and told to get dressed and get in the car to go even though I was stumbling and could hardly walk.

I didn’t get answers from the colonoscopy. I don’t know if endometriosis can be confused for colitis. But why would a ct scan show something but not a colonoscopy. It showed melanosis in the colon usually caused by chronic laxative use which I refuse to use laxatives on a regular basis so rarely take it. Also diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon which has been there some years now and the last doctor just said well you have to wait until you end up in the Er with an emergency to even do anything. Like ok. But no biopsy was taken of the darkened spots of my colon. And no explanation of my symptoms.

My bariatric surgeon said My gastroenterologist could do the endoscopy since he is closer to where I live, and he got all my information and everything. I had previously had a balloon dilation of a very narrow stricture. They saw the stricture during this procedure (so I guess the previous dilation didn’t do anything) but my endoscopy report reads:

“ge junction with mucosal tear from hiccup during dilation” I didn’t speak to the doctor, I wasn’t alert enough. He made it out like nothing to my mom. They didn’t take any biopsy from either tests. And I have a mucosal tear but not what to do about all the pain?

Im just tired and frustrated. I can only manage so much when I don’t have clear answers. I have to have another procedure this time a surgery in two weeks to do with the endometriosis. Not even sure the doctor will be able to find where it is since it can be anywhere and the main reason is my ovary has to come out.

All my long rambling, sorry. Has anyone had a tear happen during a balloon dilation? From what I see dilation isn’t a cure just a treatment or temporary fix. I know you don’t want the stoma too big but too small is not good either. I’ve been having spasms in my left side, crushing chest pain, nausea and difficulty with purée and other symptoms. I’m the end I just shut up and deal with it.

Im not regretting RNY because with my nonexistent metabolism I would not have lost nearly 63lbs. And I knew it would take its toll on my chronic illness but so much at once has me exhausted.

end of rant.

Omg, no wonder you need to rant! Sometimes a good old rant just helps a little.

It all sounds horrendous and to be in constant pain with no answers...:56_anguished:

I hope something gets sorted soon for you x

Gosh I'm so sorry!!! ((hugs)) Rant away!!!

I think the ge junction is the gastoesophageal junction where the esophagus meets the stomach. And if so, that is where the tear is and it would be very painful. It's a valve, not a stoma there. The stoma is at the gj junction where the gastro jejunal junction where the tummy pouch meets the jejunum. (I think?)

No excuse for their behavior. But in future, you simply have to make sure they plan you as the first case of the day and if they won't or can't, you schedule for the first day where you can be the first case. Accidents happen at the end of the day. :(

Thank you @Bastian and @FluffyChix I haven’t answered I’ve been in a mood. My weight did a bit of a backslide after the colonoscopy and endoscopy.

Three days of prep I got in less calories than usual but got my average Protein in 52 grams. Colonoscopy day I only managed a packet of BariatricPal Cappuccino (80 calories, 15 grams protein)

the past two days I had around 60 grams protein. My weight was down the day of the colonoscopy but then backslid. My nutritionist wanted me to try new food I tried smoked salmon last night she said it was ok to try It was soft enough to not have a hard time going down. Tasted fine, I ate extremely slow. But I was nauseous and got a Migraine.

I admit my mom asked me to go out to dinner with her friends. The day after the tests. I had enough protein that day I had a few small bites of her sweet potato and a drink I sipped very very slowly, nothing with added sugar, some crushed ginger and lime, my first time having any alcohol for a long while, it wasn’t a sweet drink. I don’t usually go out I am terrible in social settings and all the loud voices in a restaurant, so that’s why I got a drink hoping to relax me, to numb the throat pain, even though I felt no effects from it at all.

As for the colonoscopy and endoscopy they never give a option of what time it is. They also require I do prep the night before and the morning of or drink it five hours before the procedure. I had no idea that a noon appointment was their last patient. This was the only availability otherwise the wait was a month or two longer.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:32 AM, FluffyChix said:

think the ge junction is the gastoesophageal junction where the esophagus meets the stomach. And if so, that is where the tear is and it would be very painful. It's a valve, not a stoma there. The stoma is at the gj junction where the gastro jejunal junction where the tummy pouch meets the jejunum. (I think?)

You are right the stoma is the GJ junction, so then GE junction is gastroesophageal junction. How do they tear that during dilation of the stoma? No one talked to me because I wasn’t alert enough. So it was my fault I had an involuntary hiccup? Probably from having to try to do all the prep despite the Dysphasia. And then my follow up isn’t until November 27th!

I’m just getting frustrated with doctors, with myself, with just about everything lately. This could just be a normal stall before it starts but I hate the backsliding, for me it triggers a sensation of ptsd and I feel like I can’t keep from going back to being fat even though I try so hard. I also feel like my metabolism is just so slow I’ll never be able to eat normal calories even after surgery that I’ll have to stay below 400 calories and stick to around 50 grams protein.

My nutritionist wants me eating more normal foods and I’m afraid it will trigger more gain even if it’s within calories and protein. Never mind the swallowing issues.

Not sure when or how to discuss the colonoscopy and endoscopy or if the doctors will even care. And I need to prepare for surgery on the 14th and hope I can keep my weight going down despite that. With my lifelong chronic illness constantly getting worse, and dealing with new unknown neurological problems, I can’t deal with setbacks with other things. Especially my weight. It may seem like a small thing to me it’s a big thing. But I have no control over much of my life it’s one medical thing after another and needs to work around fatigue and post exertional malaise.

I don’t want people thinking it’s a pity party. I’ve had my mom accuse me of that. It’s just my reality. I feel rather stupid venting on a public forum on the internet again. I hadn’t done this in a while. I’ve got no one. My moms boyfriend seems to think because I “look good” automatically I should be perfectly fine and have no problems. I try to be a part of my mother and her friends sometimes but it’s not my place here it’s hers and her life. I just feel like the idiot with autism and chronic illness that no one wants to hear exists. So then I don’t get involved. When we moved here I encouraged my mother to take advantage of the opportunity to do so, and to get away from our life in NY so she could have a better life for herself. It was never for me. And the one thing I enjoyed most about being here, going on walks to photograph birds and critters and nature, is getting further away from being possible. I tried to tell my mom these things, she doesn’t want to hear it just says she is worried but she gets to go about her life. Of course she should. I say she is better of without me but she says she needs me. Story of my life. I’m never good enough.

Again I rant. I’m Sorry about that.

Darktower I still ❤you,what's more I respect you for facing these challenges and still going forward, even if our journeys aren't the same as many others, they are still valid, nobody should be putting you down in any form. I was sitting here trying to evaluate MYSELF,not always easy, I know Me best but things often bewildered me, sometimes they still do. Was hard stopping trying to make myself into what others wanted instead of what I Needed. Stay Strong, and just be your Best You, we need you here, okay?

@Frustr8 thank you. I wasn’t sure if I was going to say anything else on the forum. Or if I will continue coming here.

Self evaluation is hard, if I did right now I couldn’t deal with it. I’m not sure I really know even myself so I know no one else can understand. I can’t seem to say things the way people want to hear them.

People say they don’t expect anything of you even when they do, but they don’t expect anything for you. What do they care as long as they have what they need for themselves? I can’t explain it. You can do things to help someone else without them saying what they need but then they expect you to detail or even beg for the smallest of things. So I basically go it alone. The only exception being a ride to the doctor or errands or help with a phone call.

Im saying everything wrong. It’s not as if I expect anything from anyone but sometimes you just want things straightforward and not a convoluted mess. Sometimes you want some semblance of normalcy and not always feeling like nothing is in your control.

I went for pre op testing today for surgery Monday. Separate from these issues but has to be dealt with. I tried to post about this on another subject (menopause and Bariatric surgery) but feel like it was just seen as an annoyance and I want to remove it but they don’t let you do that here. No I didn’t ask a direct question. I can’t always if ever find the words anymore. So I guess I’m better of saying nothing.