Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 years out need advice please

Hi all ,
I am new to this forum so a little bit about me .
I had a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5 years ago and went from 19st 2lb (268lbs) down to 9st 6lbs (132lbs) I looked Ill and people constantly asked my mum If I was anorexic .
This was so much more than I ever thought I would lose .
I went from being morbidly obese to clinically underweight. I struggled to put weight on due to my job at the time being active and not being able to eat much .
I changed jobs and for the past 3 years I have been in an office environment, I know I've got some bad habits and every day is a battle . I've put on 2 stone (28lbs) , I'm still well within my health weight but I'm most comfortable 9lbs lighter.
I went private and paid £10,000 and I'm scared that I will end up where I started.
I'm trying to find out how many calories etc I should be eating to lose my 9lbs and how much to maintain .
I've come so far and I cant let it all be for nothing.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Thank you for reading my post.
Heather xFB_IMG_1568666404974.thumb.jpg.71f65b4fbddddd3f658ab88a88427597.jpg FB_IMG_1568666621701.thumb.jpg.5b949869cccaddf88598801360f14f48.jpg
Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, heatherjane2505 said:

Hi all ,
I had a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5 years ago and went from 19st 2lb (268lbs) down to 9st 6lbs (132lbs) I looked Ill and people constantly asked my mum If I was anorexic .
I went from being morbidly obese to clinically underweight. I struggled to put weight on due to my job at the time being active and not being able to eat much .
I changed jobs and for the past 3 years I have been in an office environment, I know I've got some bad habits and every day is a battle . I've put on 2 stone (28lbs) , I'm still well within my health weight but I'm most comfortable 9lbs lighter.
I went private and paid £10,000 and I'm scared that I will end up where I started.
I'm trying to find out how many calories etc I should be eating to lose my 9lbs and how much to maintain .

Heather xFB_IMG_1568666404974.thumb.jpg.71f65b4fbddddd3f658ab88a88427597.jpg FB_IMG_1568666621701.thumb.jpg.5b949869cccaddf88598801360f14f48.jpg

Welcome to the forum,

You have done great. 9 pounds is easier to lose than 50, 60, 100+lbs.

You are not alone; I had a gain my third year and worked it down. Many of us go back to bariatric real food stage diet. (log food, hydrate, and exercise/activity)

Some things to try:

• Choose a food plan that works for you. Bariatric diet, Keto, paleo, low carb, whole 30, vegan, intermittent fasting. whatever you choose, log your food in Myfitnesspal or baritastic .
  • Weight loss calories are not a one size fits all. Once you know your current calories by using myfitnespal, You can lower the calories (or raise them) to see where your body loses weight.
  • Get temptations out of the house
  • I’m a sleeve. Years out, my surgery restriction is less. I can consume more food volume. I found ways to fill the extra space without going over my calories
  • Sugars and extra carbs cause craving and hunger. Detox off them
  • Keep healthy options for sweet and salty cravings on hand.

Join the Sept weight loss challenge for motivation.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/427650-💜-sep-2019-challenge-💜/?tab=comments#comment-4808981

Welcome to the forum,
You have done great. 9 pounds is easier to lose than 50, 60, 100+lbs.
You are not alone; I had a gain my third year and worked it down. Many of us go back to bariatric real food stage diet. (log food, hydrate, and exercise/activity)
Some things to try:
  • Choose a food plan that works for you. Bariatric diet, Keto, paleo, low carb, whole 30, vegan, intermittent fasting. whatever you choose, log your food in Myfitnesspal or baritastic .
  • Weight loss calories are not a one size fits all. Once you know your current calories by using myfitnespal, You can lower the calories (or raise them) to see where your body loses weight.
  • Get temptations out of the house
  • I’m a sleeve. Years out, my surgery restriction is less. I can consume more food volume. I found ways to fill the extra space without going over my calories
  • Sugars and extra carbs cause craving and hunger. Detox off them
  • Keep healthy options for sweet and salty cravings on hand.
Join the Sept weight loss challenge for motivation.
https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/427650--sep-2019-challenge-/?tab=comments#comment-4808981
[/url]
Healthy_life, you are a sage, kind and positive and I truly 🧡 your personality and style!!
Hope to have you to turn to when I need to.

@ OP, listen to her!! You got this! Well done for being so vigilant and asking for help before things get out of hand!! Will also take a page from your book when I need to
Wishing you success!! Please keep us updated 🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi all ,

You are beautiful! Congratulations on your success over all the tests, and for putting the breaks on the 9 lb gain. You've got this!

Gosh! You look amazing! Congrats on 5 years of maintenance and for changing your life!

You're so smart to nip this in the bud at 10lbs. Ten lbs is so do-able!

I totally get the fear of regaining it all and failing weight loss! It's a real risk for the rest of our lives. But I do have to believe that we are not doomed to regain. In almost every case of regain we see, there is a reasonable explanation for the regain--with a rather simple solution. Usually it's a result of us backsliding into old habits, old food preferences, life stress, emotional coping tools using food, depression, change in exercise quantity/intensity, differences in total daily activity...etc.

@Healthy_life2 gave you very awesome advice. It really works. I've seen so many vets come back with regain who subsequently lose it by going back to their forever diet following WLS and following the tenets of their docs. The tools still work, we just have to remember that the program works and we have to work the program and help our tool!

Hope you will stick around and post with us. This is a very informative, helpful, and fun place to hang out!!! Your journey will help a lot of us as we watch you take your control back.

Thank you so much everyone , I dont know why I'm particularly finding it hard right now.
I was part of another group at the beginning but felt I needed a change .
I've had a look at the bariatric pal Snacks etc and they look great however they are really expensive with me being in the UK.
Snacking is my biggest enemy and binge eating chocolate and biscuits. As you all know it's still possible after the surgery . I have a family so cant stop the sugary snacks in the house although everytime I crave those kind of foods I'm trying to remind myself of that anxious /scared feeling of when I get on the scales and my weight has gone up.
It's crazy that my brain still behaves some of the time like it did when I was really fat.
Today I have tracked my food so far although I'm struggling to track my evening meal .
I used to fail at dieting because I hated tracking .
I know if I tracked before I started to concentrate on my eating again then I would have been eating near on 2000 calories some days.
I'm trying to stick at between 1200 and 1300 calories owr day this week and going to see how I get on.
Going to pilates tomorrow which will be good.
I also have an obsession with the scales and part of my challenge is keeping off them then getting down when they dont say what I want.
I'm saving most of my calories for the evening as that's when its the hardest time for sure .
Thank you again xx

I'd weigh everyday...

It's hard with crap in the house. :(

1 hour ago, heatherjane2505 said:

Thank you so much everyone , I dont know why I'm particularly finding it hard right now.
I've had a look at the bariatric pal Snacks etc and they look great however they are really expensive with me being in the UK.
Snacking is my biggest enemy and binge eating chocolate and biscuits. As you all know it's still possible after the surgery . I have a family so cant stop the sugary Snacks in the house although everytime I crave those kind of foods I'm trying to remind myself of that anxious /scared feeling of when I get on the scales and my weight has gone up.
It's crazy that my brain still behaves some of the time like it did when I was really fat.
Today I have tracked my food so far although I'm struggling to track my evening meal .
I know if I tracked before I started to concentrate on my eating again then I would have been eating near on 2000 calories some days.
I'm trying to stick at between 1200 and 1300 calories owr day this week and going to see how I get on.
I also have an obsession with the scales and part of my challenge is keeping off them then getting down when they dont say what I want.
I'm saving most of my calories for the evening as that's when its the hardest time for sure .
Thank you again xx

Way to go! You are getting your head back in the game. Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

I never use the bariatric store. When you deprive cravings, you want them more. Are there better options that you can buy for sweet and salty cravings? Hope others can jump in here and help with healthy sweet and salty snacks that are more cost effective.

make sure food advice fits your food plan..

Sweet:

• Plain fruit, fruit dipped in sugar free cholate Syrup
  • Salad greens, chicken, strawberries, blue cheese and pecans Skinny girl raspberry vinaigrette.
  • Dannon lite n fit Greek yogurt
  • sugar free popsicles
  • Roasted pumpkin and apple drizzled with sugar free maple syrup. sprinkle with cinnamon, (small amount with your Protein goes a long way)

Salty:

• Veggies dipped in hummus (cut calories by mixing plain yogurt in hummus)
  • Chicken fajitas or taco salad (no tortilla)
  • Parmesan cheese crisps
  • Cup of chicken broth.< /span>

1 hour ago, heatherjane2505 said:

Snacking is my biggest enemy and binge eating chocolate and biscuits. As you all know it's still possible after the surgery . I have a family so cant stop the sugary Snacks in the house although everytime I crave those kind of foods I'm trying to remind myself of that anxious /scared feeling of when I get on the scales and my weight has gone up.
Thank you again xx

I try really hard (especially in losing mode) not to "plan" or "schedule" for cheats. It makes it that much easier to have one...like I've already given myself permission or something so then I get to bypass the rationalization and reasoning phase. Right? LOL.

But like @Healthy_life2 said, it's important to know your capacity for pain and/or deprivation. Ideally you want to limit the hedonic pleasure center. When you give yourself high reward, high value meals, it causes your brain to defend a higher set point, making weight loss slow to a creeping crawl. Frustrating and tough to be compliant with slow weight loss.

So I would go for painful abrupt deprivation and get the weight back off, then try to ease into a maintenance plan that does include a few limited indulgences that are well planned and can be incorporated into your daily macros for maintenance. But that's just me. I figure I can bear pain as long as I know there is an end.

If I add extra treat calories now, I guarantee the compliance will be worse, the losses slower and I will get diet fatigue before ever seeing my goal or finish line. So it's a tough call. Right?

Now, YOU are the mommy and the boss of cheese and ketchup. So why can't you clean out the house/pantry? Why not ONLY keep the natural healthy things around? Make it tough for the kids or hubs or you to eat crap!? Would/could that work?

If not, I will be back with snack suggestions that you can make yourself rather than buy and it shouldn't totes kill your diet plan. But for now...you have to remember your WHY. WHY did you have the surgery? WHY did you endure the deprivation to lose all your weight? WHY aren't you loving yourself enough to self-discipline your food choices? These are the tough parts of headwork we all have to entertain. ((hugs))

Some great snack ideas there so thank you . I am vegetarian and have a lactose intolerance which makes it harder for me .
I am finding that if I give myself a low calorie treat daily (usually in the evening) this gives me the satisfaction and I dont crave as much .
If I stop myself from having something completely I want it all the more and end up binging .

I try really hard (especially in losing mode) not to "plan" or "schedule" for cheats. It makes it that much easier to have one...like I've already given myself permission or something so then I get to bypass the rationalization and reasoning phase. Right? LOL.
But like [mention=216224]Healthy_life2[/mention] said, it's important to know your capacity for pain and/or deprivation. Ideally you want to limit the hedonic pleasure center. When you give yourself high reward, high value meals, it causes your brain to defend a higher set point, making weight loss slow to a creeping crawl. Frustrating and tough to be compliant with slow weight loss.
So I would go for painful abrupt deprivation and get the weight back off, then try to ease into a maintenance plan that does include a few limited indulgences that are well planned and can be incorporated into your daily macros for maintenance. But that's just me. I figure I can bear pain as long as I know there is an end.
If I add extra treat calories now, I guarantee the compliance will be worse, the losses slower and I will get diet fatigue before ever seeing my goal or finish line. So it's a tough call. Right?
Now, YOU are the mommy and the boss of cheese and ketchup. So why can't you clean out the house/pantry? Why not ONLY keep the natural healthy things around? Make it tough for the kids or hubs or you to eat crap!? Would/could that work?
If not, I will be back with snack suggestions that you can make yourself rather than buy and it shouldn't totes kill your diet plan. But for now...you have to remember your WHY. WHY did you have the surgery? WHY did you endure the deprivation to lose all your weight? WHY aren't you loving yourself enough to self-discipline your food choices? These are the tough parts of headwork we all have to entertain. ((hugs))
I do understand what you're saying with regards to planning a snack .
With regards to getting rid of all of the unhealthy Snacks, I have reduced and swapped certain foods that regularly used to be on my shopping list .

Agree with all - when I want a snack or chocolate I first have 8 oz Water wait 30 minutes then reevaluate If I am still thinking of it I may or may not.. usually I have moved on. I too worked off a regain in the last months. You are not alone.