Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the best/worst thing....

48 minutes ago, KayLow42 said:

Ok everyone! I want to know what the absolute best thing about getting the surgery has been AND what has been the worst or hardest part?

Congrats on your surgery date. October 14th, right?

The best things about WLS ?

Getting my health and life back. Overcoming my old behaviors/reasons for obesity and making peace with the person I was in the past. Finding my true self again and discovering that I’m an adrenaline junkie.

Worst or hardest part?

Weight loss is work. It took time to learn the basics, get past food stages and stalls. I had a gain my third year and worked it back down. I can’t say it was negative. Just part of the process. I’m fortunate, my pain was well managed. I bounced back from surgery quickly. No complications and maintaining five years out.

Best: being healthy, happy and in a good place mentally (no more depression meds)
Worst: it’s not a cake walk. It takes work. I run, I workout with a trainer, I take my vitamins/supplements, i measure/weigh my food....surgery is not a “fix” It’s a tool. You can sabotage it if you choose to. You have to make yourself accountable

The hardest is not being able to eat the quantities I used to, but it's a great trade off to be much smaller and healthier. No regrets!

The best: Getting my life back!!! I feel 20 years younger and am doing things now that I haven't been able to do for decades. Rode 15 miles on my bike today and felt great! Hiking hills, riding my mule, climbing stairs, swimming (in a size 10 suit!!!), getting down and up off the floor, no more sleep apnea, no problems with asthma or reflux, no fungal infections in my skin folds this summer, no joint pain, normal BP and blood sugars (ie: no more metabolic syndrome!), wearing cute clothes, feeling "normal" in a crowd, more confidence, not having to size up the furniture in a room to decide which I will fit into, the list just goes on and on. I took a "Biological Age" test, and I am 16 years younger than my stated age! Hurray!!!

The worst: Can't think of any. This is one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself. I LOVE my new active lifestyle and lifelong way of eating. Yes, there can be temptations, but they get easier and easier to deal with as you see the benefits of healthy choices. Sugar and Desserts have no appeal at all any more. Neither do processed foods, coffee, soda, or alcohol. I do not even see those as sacrifices - not when I get to eat so many other healthy things.

I guess one thing might be that when I go out to eat, I can only finish about 1/4 of the meal. I take the rest home, but the left overs are really not that great past a day, so I end up giving the rest to the chickens. So that's a waste of money. I am learning to order off the appetizer menu and to not let my eyes get bigger than my stomach. It's a process. Another thing might be that I feel a bit self conscious about my face, which I think looks old and wrinkly now. Others tell me differently and that I look younger, but I just don't see it that way. I am trying to be more out going and cheerful so that the wrinkles look more like smile lines than grumpy lines. That's just a matter of building confidence and learning to accept a great new body, but one that looks a little funny in places. :)

best part is being a normal weight and having a normal life for the first time in decades. Worst part is that it's HARD WORK to stay this way! But....I'm not going back! I NEVER want to be morbidly obese again!

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

best part is being a normal weight and having a normal life for the first time in decades. Worst part is that it's HARD WORK to stay this way! But....I'm not going back! I NEVER want to be morbidly obese again!

And you never will be!!! Having a determined attitude ("I'm NEVER going back!") is one of the most important indicators of long term success!!!!! I'm with you sister! On my way out the door now to walk 5K - on a very windy day. But come H--- or HIgh Water, I'm never going back either!

The best part is unquestionably being healthier (no more BP or cholesterol meds), feeling better and having more energy. I haven't regretted having the surgery for a moment. (Well, not since month 3--I had a rough couple of first months.)

Looking better and not seeing people's facial expressions change when I enter an airplane (as if to say, "I hope he's not sitting next to me") are wonderful side benefits, but definitely are not the reasons I got the surgery.

To me, the worst part is eating dinner with friends, either in a restaurant or at our home. It's fine with just my spouse, who totally understands and supports what I'm doing. Dining with friends was a lot of fun before, but now I just feel left out. As a result, we don't dine out much any more.

The best - being able to fit into cute clothes

The worst - all the money it costs to buy new cute clothes

4 hours ago, omhernandez010@gmail.com said:

At my 3rd day post-op, so im currently not loving anything, I'm super miserable. Please tell me it gets better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Read the above posts and you will see that it absolutely gets better!

Best: Being able to LOSE weight for a change. Also, it has changed my taste buds. I could never eat meat/chicken/steak.. I would get grossed out. Now I crave the Protein. Getting full faster.

Worst: While it is great getting full faster, it also sucks sometimes LOL. It's like you take two bites and you're done. Sometimes I feel deprived of food. I still have a lot of issues with head hunger.