Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 4 months out and I genuinely have no desire to eat meat nor do I enjoy meals anymore. I’d much prefer snacking or snack foods. Sitting down for a meal isn’t appealing and most of the time I find it hard to digest a meal. When I snack on fruit or veggies, I’m fine.

Anyone else deal with this or deal with food not being appealing? I’m so concerned because I know I don’t get my Protein in, but the thought of meat and even Protein Drinks makes my stomach churn! I guess this is what happens to your taste buds after surgery?

Any suggestions on how to make meals more appealing, especially protein?

Enjoy it while you can well the good parts means you can take advantage

I think you need to do something to make your meals more appealing. Snacking is not good unless it is a planned snack that contains Protein , advocates snacking is a bad habit that can undo all your good work. Not getting enough protein is a serious issue which can lead to all sorts of health issues. If you don’t want meat find other protein rich foods that you do enjoy. Maybe make yourself a platter as your meal. Some cheese, egg, nuts, seeds and chopped up veg may satisfy your snacking urge.

This may pass and in a couple months you could go back to a more normal attitude towards food. In the meantime you need to think of it as fueling your body and focus on getting the nutrients you need.

You must eat!!!!! You are heading for a major stale if you don't force yourself to eat.... Hope this helps....

Look. I think you need to get real and embrace this sh*t!

It's a stage. We ALL go through it and it's one of the miracle wonders of the honeymoon period.

So here's your job:

Some how, SOME WAY, get your Protein need met everyday. I frankly don't care how you do it. Drink 2 protein drinks. Done. Drink a Protein Drink and have some meat. I don't care. Just MEET YOUR PROTEIN GOAL. The End. Anything else is unnecessary.

Now, do NOT allow the snacking bs to re-enter your life. Quit it. Or I swear you will sabotage your surgery. It has a way of sneaking in when you least want it. Do not allow your food innervation to help rationalize your poor choices. Of COURSE snacky slidery food is easy to eat. It's what we want. It's what appeals. The food companies have spent billions addicting us!!! And making the food extra appealing. So you MUST break up with it. Seriously.

(I hate posts like this...)

14 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Look. I think you need to get real and embrace this sh*t!

It's a stage. We ALL go through it and it's one of the miracle wonders of the honeymoon period.

So here's your job:

Some how, SOME WAY, get your Protein need met everyday. I frankly don't care how you do it. Drink 2 Protein Drinks. Done. Drink a Protein Drink and have some meat. I don't care. Just MEET YOUR Protein GOAL. The End. Anything else is unnecessary.

Now, do NOT allow the snacking bs to re-enter your life. Quit it. Or I swear you will sabotage your surgery. It has a way of sneaking in when you least want it. Do not allow your food innervation to help rationalize your poor choices. Of COURSE snacky slidery food is easy to eat. It's what we want. It's what appeals. The food companies have spent billions addicting us!!! And making the food extra appealing. So you MUST break up with it. Seriously.

(I hate posts like this...)

Why are you so rude today? Normally I'm interested in your comments but for some reason today, your advice seems nothing but patronizing and damn right bullying. If you don't like the posts, move on but no need to make the person who wrote it feel invalidated. . Jeez! 🙄🙄🙄

3 minutes ago, Sharon B A said:

Why are you so rude today? Normally I'm interested in your comments but for some reason today, your advice seems nothing but patronizing and damn right bullying. If you don't like the posts, move on but no need to make the person who wrote it feel invalidated. . Jeez! 🙄🙄🙄

Bullying is the incorrect word. I'm totally aggravated by the sheer number of posts crying about or lamenting the changes from this surgery and their present food situation. We all have had this amazing opportunity to change our life. And yet we're talking about nonsense. We all had to travel down and through this path. And it is HARD. It sucks. But there is beauty beyond and there is MUCH to gain by just going with the flow and dying to your baser instincts and relations with food.

My motivation in answering is not to invalidate the posters. It's to abruptly break where their brain is going. It's a wake up shout. And psychologists often say you need to have an abrupt noise or action to break a chain/cycle of downward motion.

Edited by FluffyChix

I absolutely agree with fluffy so many people are so fragile and can't take constructive criticism. They were told by their families for years They were healthy and look where it got them.

Maybe if someone opened your eyes sooner you wouldn't be in this predicament.

Why are people so fragile these days and can't take a little hard truth.

We're actually trying to help people see What's wrong and then make the changes.

Surgery is a privilege and needs to be taken care of. You should be ready for it.

I don't particularly care for food. If it were up to me I'd spend the rest of my life grazing on Cookies. But I know that I can't do that anymore and it's not healthy and I'm too damn old to keep eating that way. So I force myself to eat real whole foods everyday and meet my Protein goals. It's just what I gotta do.

Just now, FluffyChix said:

Bullying is the incorrect word. I'm totally aggravated by the sheer number of posts crying about or lamenting the changes from this surgery and their present food situation. We all have had this amazing opportunity to change our life. And yet we're talking about nonsense. My motivation in answering is not to invalidate the posters. It's to abruptly break where their brain is going. It's a wake up shout. And psychologists often say you need to have an abrupt noise or action to break a chain/cycle of downward motion.

There are ways of saying things or giving advice, without using profanities and belittling the person who is going through this.

If a brand new person read your response on this and another post this morning, do you think they would feel comfortable posting their fears and experiences on here. You are doing more harm than good.

Me reading your responses today has now made me think that this person isn't on here to help us newbies, for me, your 'advice' has now had the opposite effect.

This is supposed to be a no judgment zone where you're allowed to state your fears and mistakes and not be ridiculed or scolded for it...

This is not meant to be a back and forth, tit for tat thing, its just my advice to you, calm down, if you don'tlike a post or the personis being 'whiny' in your opinion, swipe and move on, dont make them feel like crap for posting their experiences...

@GradyCat YES Girl!!!! This a meeeeeeeellllllion percent x infinity. :) ((hugs)) And look at your amazing success too!!! Why? Cuz you're following your doctor's plan to a T!!! :D 🍾:776_two_hearts:

Edited by FluffyChix

I hope I'll have restriction and lose my appetite. I wish I could live off Protein Shakes for the first year. Keep the calories low and Protein intake can still be up to 100gm a day.

I don't even care about eating and I hope the surgery will make it so I only eat to survive not to indulge ever again...

Just now, Mikeyy said:

I hope I'll have restriction and lose my appetite. I wish I could live off Protein Shakes for the first year. Keep the calories low and Protein intake can still be up to 100gm a day.

I don't even care about eating and I hope the surgery will make it so I only eat to survive not to indulge ever again...

You won't know until you go through it. I actually did not lose my appetite for very long...maybe about 3 weeks. But I have still powered through and done very well. And I'm not the only one. Nothing unique about me. No superior ability or will. I just followed my doc's orders and dyed to my baser desires in favor of a long term good. I'm just a shmo on the internet...very very average. You can do this even IF you don't lose your appetite. :) That's the beauty of this surgery!