Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binge eating-14 months after surgery

Hi,guys!So,I am 14 months after surgery, and I started binge eating.I was 279 pounds on my surgery day and I lost 142 lbs.I still want to lose 5-6 pounds,but lately I have been having those binge eating days,when I can eat up to 3000 cals.Does anyone have the same issue?On other days,I eat between 1200-1400 cals,sometimes less,and I do cardio almost every day,so I am not gaining weight yet.I do pouch reset almost every 2 weeks to prevent pouch stretching,it helps for a while until I have my another episode.Please,offer some tips how to stop doing it...Thank you!

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Andrejeus said:

not gaining weight yet

@Andrejeus

welcome to our small group. We get "smaller" by the day!

congrats on losing 142 lbs!!!! way to go!!!!

various thoughts/opinions on "pouch stretching". my doc says your stomach might

stretch a teeny bit. But NEVER significantly, or to its original size. But, by worrying

about the thought of stretching, OP might eat better/moderation with the fear that they

are stretching their stomach.!! (OP have been known to be shot for less🤣

"yet" is the operative word!! you don't want to wait until you do gain, stop now!!

Good for you on realizing/recognizing your prob.

being brave enough in finding the board, looking for HELP before its too late. Back when i

was your age (14 months) i used to brush my teeth whenever i was in trouble wanting

to eat. (i now have the best looking teeth!!) LOL

i was never big on exercise, but when i have that "need" about eating, i might go walking,

i sometimes will still think about eating, LOL - but i don't eat.

other things to do, exercise more, read - talk on the phone. simple suggestions

i am frequently on the 'puter, i enjoy the boards, talking to you guys etc. keeps me

off the streets, out of trouble and away from food🤣

My "secret" to what really, really helps me and not overeating etc -

i remember the "good ol' days" when i weighed 235 lbs eeeeek - unhealthy etc.

i can not/will not back to those days. i remind myself how i looked and

felt, also that OP do sometimes regain - i can NEVER can let that happen to me!!

7.5 years sleeved, i weigh 130 (fluctuations) feel great, and i'm cute as a button!🤣

hang around with us, you'll learn alot - and meet many nice OP that have had WLS,

knowledge to pass on, lessons to learn - we'll keep your mind occupied off that mean

4 letter word FOOD

good luck bud

kathy

I've never been a binge eater, having said that I just don't have stuff in the house that is not good for me. Sometimes if only a piece of dark chocolate will quiet the voice I break a corner off and savor it. I would go back to your counselor to see why and what is causing it. Also have you tried OA they may help too before you lose your way.

Hi,guys!So,I am 14 months after surgery, and I started binge eating.I was 279 pounds on my surgery day and I lost 142 lbs.I still want to lose 5-6 pounds,but lately I have been having those binge eating days,when I can eat up to 3000 cals.Does anyone have the same issue?On other days,I eat between 1200-1400 cals,sometimes less,and I do cardio almost every day,so I am not gaining weight yet.I do pouch reset almost every 2 weeks to prevent pouch stretching,it helps for a while until I have my another episode.Please,offer some tips how to stop doing it...Thank you!

Congrats on 14 months out and 142 pounds down.

Only my opinion, If you are binge eating, look into counseling/therapy or self-help resources to address it. Binging and restricting can be a vicious cycle. High exercise and low calories can cause hunger/binge.

If you are at a higher fitness level it may be time to check in with your bariatric dietician or sports medicine dietician. They may change up your diet to fuel you calorie burn.

I hope you find what works to stay healthy

I do pouch reset almost every 2 weeks to prevent pouch stretching,it helps for a while until I have my another episode.

Sounds like you're stuck in the starve-binge-cycle / dieting-loss-of-control-eating-cycle (again).

You might benefit from:

- staying away from stupid fad diets like pouch reset

- stop exercising as punishment for overeating

- eating foods you really like regularly to prevent loss of control eating

- reading the book Brain Over Binge

These are things you can try right away without being depended on other people / having to wait for appointments and that'll hopefully help.

[mention=346667]Andrejeus [/mention]
welcome to our small group. We get "smaller" by the day!
congrats on losing 142 lbs!!!! way to go!!!!
various thoughts/opinions on "pouch stretching". my doc says your stomach might
stretch a teeny bit. But NEVER significantly, or to its original size. But, by worrying
about the thought of stretching, OP might eat better/moderation with the fear that they
are stretching their stomach.!! (OP have been known to be shot for less🤣
"yet" is the operative word!! you don't want to wait until you do gain, stop now!!
Good for you on realizing/recognizing your prob.
being brave enough in finding the board, looking for HELP before its too late. Back when i
was your age (14 months) i used to brush my teeth whenever i was in trouble wanting
to eat. (i now have the best looking teeth!!) LOL
i was never big on exercise, but when i have that "need" about eating, i might go walking,
i sometimes will still think about eating, LOL - but i don't eat.
other things to do, exercise more, read - talk on the phone. simple suggestions
i am frequently on the 'puter, i enjoy the boards, talking to you guys etc. keeps me
off the streets, out of trouble and away from food🤣
My "secret" to what really, really helps me and not overeating etc -
i remember the "good ol' days" when i weighed 235 lbs eeeeek - unhealthy etc.
i can not/will not back to those days. i remind myself how i looked and
felt, also that OP do sometimes regain - i can NEVER can let that happen to me!!
7.5 years sleeved, i weigh 130 (fluctuations) feel great, and i'm cute as a button!🤣
hang around with us, you'll learn alot - and meet many nice OP that have had WLS,
knowledge to pass on, lessons to learn - we'll keep your mind occupied off that mean
4 letter word FOOD
good luck bud
kathy
7.5 years out and still keeping,wow,I am so impressed!Good job!Thank you very much!I am quite lonely;my husband is deployed and I do not have too many friends due to constant moving.I started doing Meet up and met a few nice people(we hike in mountains every weekend),maybe I should start getting to know them better and communicate with them more.I am full time engineering student,so I am in school all the time,and when I am there,I do not feel hungry(I eat my packed lunch, snacks,and dinner ).But when I am at home alone,I start to crave some foods and I start order crap(like Chinese food or pizza).

I've never been a binge eater, having said that I just don't have stuff in the house that is not good for me. Sometimes if only a piece of dark chocolate will quiet the voice I break a corner off and savor it. I would go back to your counselor to see why and what is causing it. Also have you tried OA they may help too before you lose your way.
I was diagnosed with BED.I had to wait a year to be approved by psychiatrist for surgery due to my binge eating.I think I might try OA meetings!I guess it would be nice to have an extra support.
I do not have bad food in my house,but in binging days I order it or hit the 7 eleven for chocolate and other sweets.

You've done GREAT! You don't want to mess things up now. Go back to eating 1500 or fewer calories per day. Stick with the pouch reset diet. You know how to do it because you've done it successfully for 14 months. You can do it!

Sounds like you're stuck in the starve-binge-cycle / dieting-loss-of-control-eating-cycle (again).
You might benefit from:
- staying away from stupid fad diets like pouch reset
- stop exercising as punishment for overeating
- eating foods you really like regularly to prevent loss of control eating
- reading the book Brain Over Binge
These are things you can try right away without being depended on other people / having to wait for appointments and that'll hopefully help.
I heard about this book before.I will definitely read it.I understand what you saying,I even thought about stopping exercising for a week and work on my diet(stabilize it),but exercising helps me with stress and improve my concentration(I am an engineering student),so it is hard to give up.But you completely right,I need to stop doing "fad" diets!Believe it or not,I talked to my nutritionist last week and she told me to continue 1200 diet and she said it is OK to burn 500 cal per day.I tried to explain to her that I am hungry and light headed if I am doing it,but she said it is normal.

1 minute ago, Andrejeus said:

,I even thought about stopping exercising for a week and work on my diet(stabilize it),but exercising helps me with stress and improve my concentration(I am an engineering student),so it is hard to give up.

I'm not suggesting giving up exercise. If you draw real benefit form it, just do it!

I tried to explain to her that I am hungry and light headed if I am doing it,but she said it is normal.

BS. "Being lightheaded" is not normal.

BS. "Being lightheaded" is not normal.
I just need to follow my therapist suggestions and up my calories. Just eat at least 1500 cal per day with normal(not low) carb intake.I mean you are so right about fad dieting.When I was in high school I was pretty active(daincing school,sports,soccer with boys),and because I was chunky kid,I put myself on very strict diet(I blame my parents for allowing me to do that).I was 110-115 lbs,but my eating habbits were horrible(I used to skip dinner and eat huge dinner for breakfast).So,my binge eating comes from my childhood.Thank you again for all your tips.
PS:Sorry for grammar mistakes;English is not my first language.

2 minutes ago, Andrejeus said:

I just need to follow my therapist suggestions and up my calories. Just eat at least 1500 cal per day with normal(not low) carb intake. I mean you are so right about fad dieting.

If you already have a therapist you might decide to follow her/his advice to stop the binge eating. To stop the binge eating (is it really bingeing or more like loss of control eating?) you need to eat enough in the first place so you'll met your body's needs. If you only want to lose 5-6 lbs more you're most likely at a healthy weight already so you might want to put that goal into the back for now and focus on getting this bingeing stuff out of your life before it really gets out of hand.

The book Brain Over Binge is a really good read IMO. However, what constitutes a good read or not is always in the eye of the reader.

If you already have a therapist you might decide to follow her/his advice to stop the binge eating. To stop the binge eating (is it really bingeing or more like loss of control eating?) you need to eat enough in the first place so you'll met your body's needs. If you only want to lose 5-6 lbs more you're most likely at a healthy weight already so you might want to put that goal into the back for now and focus on getting this bingeing stuff out of your life before it really gets out of hand.
The book Brain Over Binge is a really good read IMO. However, what constitutes a good read or not is always in the eye of the reader.
It is compulsive eating;I eat to the point I feel sick.I can throw up(not intentionally)and eat again an hour later.I also can experience the dumping syndrom(not pleasent thing) and eat again later.But the worst happens in the morning:my stomach hurts,I feel nauseated,I can not even look on food, and I emotionally upset.I mean,it is disease,and I have to learn how to control it.I will follow my therapist suggestions(she actually specialized on eating disorders and she used to have one which she successfully overcame). This nutritionist is an idiot!!Honestly,if I up my calories and keep exercising,I will still lose weight(slower though).I am 5'6 and I weigh 141-144(it fluctuates),I am normal not overweight,so if I keep this weight I am actually OK with it.I just want to stop hurting myself. Sometimes I read other people posts and they keep eating 1000 cal even after 1 year after surgery(yogurt in the morning,shake in tbe afternoon,and etc),and I start to feel guilty.I mean,how? But we all have different bodies and issues,so I should stop compare myself with others.Thank you again for all your suggestions and support!

4 minutes ago, Andrejeus said:

I am 5'6 and I weigh 141-144(it fluctuates)

Hah, we're about the same height and weight (what a coincidence, lol).

At this weight you might take into consideration that your body is rebelling against losing more weight.

9 minutes ago, Andrejeus said:

Sometimes I read other people posts and they keep eating 1000 cal even after 1 year after surgery(yogurt in the morning,shake in tbe afternoon,and etc),and I start to feel guilty.

Don't feel guilty! You're at a healthy weight and that's the important thing here. Why aim for lower calories?