Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, newbie here and reality is setting in that my surgery will be scheduled really soon. I am 50 pounds over weight and 5’0, I will be having the sleeve at the recommendation of my doctors. My story is long, but I first want to say that you all amaze me! To do what you have to do and be brave enough to go through surgery to get your lives back! In my readings here, you are all beautiful inside and out and I congratulate you all for taking care of yourselves, not only physically but mentally as well that is no easy task but you’re doing it!! I never in a million years would have opted for surgery before facing the situation I’m in. Yes, my surgeon had to convince me that this was the best option for me. My story begins back in December 2017 when I had an open hysterectomy that became severely infected and put me in wound care for 7 months, in February the wound vac was removed because it was deteriorating my skin and had wet to dry dressing changes and I was told that I needed to be careful for the rest of my life because I would be prone to hernia’s, fast forward to March 2018, my Dad was sick with pancreatic cancer and he had taken a very bad turn for the worst within a week, I helped my Mom get him to the Dr. When we got him home he was so weak he almost fell and I caught him. He passed away the next day. I was still under wound care with dressing changes. I saw pictures from when family was here and was shocked by how much weight I had put on due to my limited mobility. I decided in May to join Weight Watchers and was doing well and lost 35 pounds after being cleared in July 2018 to start walking and light exercise. In December 2018 I felt a bad burning sensation in my belly and thought it was my skin disease flaring up. My Dr ran some scans and low and behold I had a large hernia that developed. I was sent to a local surgeon who told me that I needed to lose 50 pounds fast, that WW was not good enough and that my stomach is in such delicate condition that he would not fix my hernia, that I needed a specialist and he referred me to a bariatric surgeon locally. They to refused to help me because my BMI was to low and insurance wouldn’t approve. This completely derailed me and on went 20 pounds! If they didn’t care neither did I!! My saving grace came when my husbands company told me they carry an insurance plan for situations such as mine! The heavens opened up and I began my journey to bariatric surgery. I was sent to Atlanta to consult with a specialist that will not only do the bariatric surgery but fix my hernia as well! The hernia will not be fixed until 3-6 months after the sleeve to ensure the sleeve holds without complications and no infections due to my condition and being prone to infection. Needless to say, I am having this surgery to get to having my hernia fixed, and to prevent any further hernias recurring. I am petrified of what I’m going to look like, as my belly is pretty deformed now from scar tissue, fat and the hernia. I am scared of the complications that can happen and the risk of infection. My surgeon has reassured me that the sleeve is the least risky, but there is still a risk. I am back down to only needing to lose 50 pounds to put me at 135 although my weight for my height should be 110. They would like me to maintain between 110-135 wherever I’m comfortable. I feel that I will become under weight and get sick, or look sick. I’m not sure how to address these fears because for me it is the fear of the unknown. I was given the option of continuing with WW and exercise and he will fix the hernia at 135 but there is the possibility the weight will come back and I will be right back where I started so backing out is not an option, the pain of the hernia is too much. I’m sorry this is so lengthy but this is how I got here and facing my fears have really hit me and I needed to get this out somehow. Thank you to those that read it and thank you for being an inspiration to many like me. Best wishes on your continued journey. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father. I lost my sister about a year and a half ago and then my mom in February. I am only too familiar with the pain of losing a family member.

I am sorry to hear about all that you have been through. Thank you for sharing g your story with us and good luck to you.

Ps- feel free to post anything that is in your mind here. This is a very supportive group and we will all continue to support you through it all.

Edited by Losingit2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, and welcome!

Goodness, you have been through a lot. Anyone would be nervous! I am so glad you are working through all your questions and taking steps to protect your health. After all, what is more important than that?

Hey! Take a minute to congratulate yourself for looking your fears in the eye. That is never, ever easy... but here you are doing it. :)

Now you can step back, take some big breaths and begin to untangle all those emotions and fears. (Which are totally normal, BTW.) It seems overwhelming at times, but it really is one step at a time on this journey. Ask the questions of your medical team that you need to ask, get the answers you need, and then make the next best move for YOU based on those facts. Fear does not get to be in the driver's seat for this one... logic and best bet according to your doctors do.

Glad you are here- I know you are going to find your right path. I look forward to hearing about your journey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/12/2019 at 22:29, Losingit2018 said:



Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father. I lost my sister about a year and a half ago and then my mom in February. I am only too familiar with the pain of losing a family member.




I am sorry to hear about all that you have been through. Thank you for sharing g your story with us and good luck to you.




Ps- feel free to post anything that is in your mind here. This is a very supportive group and we will all continue to support you through it all.


My sincerest condolences to you as well. That is hard to handle also. That’s another fear I have, how will I handle things when my Mom passes as we are really, really close and I feel blessed every day We have her. Thank you for the words of encouragement and I’m looking forward to getting to know people and building friendships. I don’t know much about public forums or blogging and am still learning. Thank you for listening and responding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/12/2019 at 23:04, FluffySaysForkIt! said:



Hi, and welcome!




Goodness, you have been through a lot. Anyone would be nervous! I am so glad you are working through all your questions and taking steps to protect your health. After all, what is more important than that?




Hey! Take a minute to congratulate yourself for looking your fears in the eye. That is never, ever easy... but here you are doing it. :)




Now you can step back, take some big breaths and begin to untangle all those emotions and fears. (Which are totally normal, BTW.) It seems overwhelming at times, but it really is one step at a time on this journey. Ask the questions of your medical team that you need to ask, get the answers you need, and then make the next best move for YOU based on those facts. Fear does not get to be in the driver's seat for this one... logic and best bet according to your doctors do.




Glad you are here- I know you are going to find your right path. I look forward to hearing about your journey!


Thank you so much! I really have been on a very long road and it has not been easy, and I absolutely did not want any more surgery (prior to my hysterectomy I had 15+ for my skin condition) 2 of them also resulted in infection. I had to come to terms with all this that is happening now and was very overwhelmed but I’m ready to face it all again. Thanks to reading here and other support groups on FB. I feel safe here and that is all thanks to you all. Thank you for reading my lengthy post and responding and encouraging me. I do have this and feel empowered to win this and become the best me possible. ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck on your WLS journey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I am so sorry for everything you have been through. I myself had the sleeve June 8, 2019 for health reasons. I lost 20 lbs already and I feel good. It is so nice to not be hungry all the time. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired. I would say you already answered your question. I put on a few pounds so I would qualify and made my mind up and never looked back. I was taken off my blood pressure medicine after 1 week. I am off my Meloxicam now for my inflammation and I am doing well without it right now. I take the meloxicam and Stelara for my psoriatic arthritis. You need to do what is best for you, if you need the hernia surgery do whatever you need to get it done. This is something that could change your life for the better. If I were you I would go for it. I am glad I did. Sometimes it easier to just make a decision and not question it. Just keep going forward. Good Luck to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/26/2019 at 20:07, Midnightsun said:



Hi, I am so sorry for everything you have been through. I myself had the sleeve June 8, 2019 for health reasons. I lost 20 lbs already and I feel good. It is so nice to not be hungry all the time. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired. I would say you already answered your question. I put on a few pounds so I would qualify and made my mind up and never looked back. I was taken off my blood pressure medicine after 1 week. I am off my Meloxicam now for my inflammation and I am doing well without it right now. I take the meloxicam and Stelara for my psoriatic arthritis. You need to do what is best for you, if you need the hernia surgery do whatever you need to get it done. This is something that could change your life for the better. If I were you I would go for it. I am glad I did. Sometimes it easier to just make a decision and not question it. Just keep going forward. Good Luck to you.


Thank you! I have decided to move forward and surgery is August 15th. I am very happy with the way things are going and feel it is absolutely the best decision I could make for myself. I know in my heart it can only get better from here. Thank you for your encouraging words and best to you on your continued journey. 😊😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Jobber

      Yesterday I "officially" eclipsed the 100 lb mark.  I'm sure if you're in any other country than the US, the 45.3 kg mark doesn't sound as much of a milestone, but it's very cathartic for me to post that I hit it. 
      I recently read back through both my BP status updates and my private journal and hitting this milestone makes all the things I "worried" about seem stupid, but I know they're not stupid because they were very real at the time.  Also, I think if I didn't give these fears my full attention, I may not have been as successful as I have been to date.
      I'm about 50 more pounds off my end goal and I know that will not be the end, I will continue to strive for bettering myself in both physical and emotional ways.  I have to hunker down and get this done. 
      I'm noticing if I don't exercise every day, the weight loss stalls quite a bit.  I'm not really into the 80/20 theory with diet and exercise, I think there's a genetic modifier that needs to be applied and it's different for everyone, just my opinion... don't hold it against me.
      · 2 replies
      1. ms.sss

        Yay, @Jobber!

        ❤️❤️❤️❤️

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        Yeah! Great milestone! Keep up the good work, wishing you much-continued success!

    • allwet

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss  »  Krestel

      RE: the running/training
      Honestly it started with me just doing laps around the kitchen that first post-op week.
      In a week, I graduated to walking up and down my street, then to walking around the block every day.
      The distance increased, then the speed.
      Then I started running little spurts during my walks, then to alternating 1km runs with 1km walks.
      And now I can do a continuous 10k (which I totally did for the first time this morning...so full of myself about it today, it’s disgusting.)
      Just do something everyday and slowly increase speed and duration, next thing you know you’ll be one of those odd “running people” (who I never understood pre-op, but now totally get, lol)
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • allwet

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • allwet

      ok, I know it proves me as weird as some of you always thought but this was a fun site to kill time on.
      https://www.omnicalculator.com/
      enjoy 
      · 2 replies
      1. Ava R

        Happy Sunday! I like weird people. Normal people are boring! :) I began following you and wanted to know if there are any other members you would recommend? My surgery is 8/29/19 and I want to learn as much as possible. Have a great day and thanks so much for the website.

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        I love it! Thanks!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×