Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey y’all! I started full liquid diet yesterday for my gastric sleeve surgery on the 16th! Yay! But damn, I am so tired of popsicles, Jello and broth. I got me some V8 and have been drinking my Water and shakes for Protein. But do y’all have any suggestions on what else I can do so I don’t get bored??

I thought the pre-op diet was the worst part of the whole ordeal. In spite of being nervous being rolled into surgery, I was glad the damn pre-op diet was over! All you can really do is white knuckle it and keep reminding yourself it's only temporary. I savored my V8 and chicken broth - and I ate sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello with abandon since they were the only things that resembled real food. It does get better by day 4 or so, though. I wasn't as hungry because my body had gone into ketosis by then. But still, it sucks.

6 hours ago, mandalynn0633 said:

Hey y’all! I started full liquid diet yesterday for my gastric sleeve surgery on the 16th! Yay! But damn, I am so tired of popsicles, Jello and broth. I got me some V8 and have been drinking my Water and shakes for Protein. But do y’all have any suggestions on what else I can do so I don’t get bored??

oatmeal, grits, cream of chicken Soup, yogurt

Okay sorry but I don't think oatmeal, grits, and cream of anything Soups would be considered appropriate for your preop liquid diet. Those are hella high in 'bad' carbohydrates and shouldn't even be a big part of your diet post op let alone pre op.

And wait -- you only started yesterday and you're already bored? Its the toughest the first couple days but when you stick with it day 3 or 4 it should start getting easier.

Instead of looking for different foods to keep from getting bored try to find activities to distract you. Give yourself a manicure or pedicure, go for a walk, get an adult coloring book, a puzzle, start journaling. Reorganize the closets in your house.

Edited by KCgirl061

Well to be fair, cream of wheat and oatmeal thinned with skim milk are both included on my post-op full liquid diet. But I agree they aren’t really best for pre-op since they are high in carbs, and the objective is to shrink the liver.

And sad to say,the last time I tried, they both came barreling back up, more rapidly than they went down! Some days I think I should change my name to Ursula Urp, be somewhat more factual! 😧

Girl! I'm so there with you. I started yesterday too for surgery on the 17th. I did egg drop Soup tonight. Someone else recommended doing a sugar free Orange Crush packet in the vanilla Premier Protein. Also recommended doing Decaf coffee mixed with a bit of Premier Protein. Stick with it! We got this!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Another that is good is Equate Wild strawberry drink powder in your Protein Shake, kept me going when my WallyWorld stopped having anything besides vanilla and chocolate. Now some of the Premier Protein flavors have returned but I still recall the month after month they broke faith with me.

17 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

Okay sorry but I don't think oatmeal, grits, and cream of anything Soups would be considered appropriate for your preop liquid diet. Those are hella high in 'bad' carbohydrates and shouldn't even be a big part of your diet post op let alone pre op.

And wait -- you only started yesterday and you're already bored? Its the toughest the first couple days but when you stick with it day 3 or 4 it should start getting easier.

Instead of looking for different foods to keep from getting bored try to find activities to distract you. Give yourself a manicure or pedicure, go for a walk, get an adult coloring book, a puzzle, start journaling. Reorganize the closets in your house.

Actually those are very specifically part of my pre-op diet.

5 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

Actually those are very specifically part of my pre-op diet.

Perhaps I should have included *Your surgeon's plans may vary*

Yours apparently isn't very strict. Mine was very strict.

Shoot, some people aren't required a preop diet at all.

The low fat cream of chicken Soup has the same amt of carbs as a serving of V8...I believe it was 3% daily allowance or 9 grams. I'm more concerned about the sodium content so I limit them both.

Seems A lot of people have trouble at first with Tomato containing things, maybe the acid. makes things wo4s3_ At any rate, if you can tolerate it early in your recovery, then Good For YOU!❤

1 hour ago, ARMoma45 said:

The low fat cream of chicken Soup has the same amt of carbs as a serving of V8...I believe it was 3% daily allowance or 9 grams. I'm more concerned about the sodium content so I limit them both.

I concede to your argument for the Soup. But I still feel that preop and postop diets need to be Protein focused and not carb focused for long term success.

Oh, I definitely agree.