Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all- Sleeve surgery set for Monday (2 days) and wondering what the day-of surgery process was like for you? From check in to recovery room, what do you remember about your experience?

Hoping this helps calm some fears. I have three beautiful small children, a new house & loving Labrador that I need to make sure I get back to. In my mind I’m only considering worst- case surgery scenarios so with your experience and input about your day of surgery process, I hope to calm myself down.

Thanks in advance!

My surgery was very early in the morning, I was maybe my surgeon's second case that day. After arriving at the hospital, I was called back to sign all the paperwork and then waited for the nurse to come get me. The nurse got me set up in a room where I changed into the gown and the little booties you have to wear that prevent blood clots. They started my IV and the anesthesiologist came around to introduce himself (he had actually been my anesthesiologist during my hysterectomy and we had a good laugh about me and my surgeries) and ask some questions that I don't really remember. The surgeon came by and told me what was going to happen and told my husband about how long the surgery would last (I don't remember how long, but it wasn't very long to wait). Then they wheeled me into the operating room and after getting me situated on the operating table, the anesthesiologist told me to start counting down. I lasted maybe another two seconds and was out.

When I came to, I was in a lot of pain so they gave me a little extra in the recovery room. Once I was feeling more comfortable they wheeled me into my room. The next few hours are a bit of a blur as I was in and out of sleep, but the nurses were in my room a lot. I had visitors at one point and I was able to sit up and talk to them although the nurse shooed them out after a bit. :P You'll be given pain meds on a schedule and they'll come in and take your blood pressure periodically and other nurse-y stuff. Sorry to be vague, I just mostly slept. When I wasn't sleeping, I was sipping Water and walking around the ward. Very slow walking, but walking! It helped tremendously with the gas pain. During the night they'll continue checking on you about every two hours which is necessary but a little irritating for the sleep.

I had some broth and jell-o at some point in the night. It tasted heavenly but I could only manage a few sips.

The next morning they brought me a Protein Shake and I was told I could check out once I had finished it. It seemed to take forever but I got it down. I had no complications and I felt as great as could be expected with holes in me! I went home and went back to sleep. :)

Sorry for the rambly nature of this, but I hope it helps!

Thatch- thank you. Yes- helpful.

Did you get to shower or change back to clothes the same day as surgery? Sounds more like a sleepy day than a clean yourself up day?

My surgery was scheduled for 11 am. I was NPO at midnight but could have Clear Liquids until 6 am. The NPO didnt bother me and after my shake for dinner I didn't feel the need for anything else. I got up at 5 and had a cup of tea and watched the news. Then I showered and put on comfy clothes and waiting until it was time to head to the hospital. I got registered and only had to wait about 10 minutes before heading back. In preop they got my IV in and took a bunch of health questions. Then I got to walk. And walk and walk and walk. My surgeon wants all his bariatric patients walking before surgery to prevent blood clots. No laying on the cart watching Price is Right for me. And after 45 minutes of walking up and down the same small hallway I definitely wanted to. 11 oclock came and went, as it sometimes can in the surgery world. His first case started a little later than scheduled and was more complicated than anticipated. I talked with anesthesia and walked some more. Then I finally talked to my surgeon. It was getting closer. My preop nurse then gave me a couple medications including IV pepcid and a shot of Lovenox (blood thinner) in my abdomen. I waited another 15 minutes or so while the OR Team got the operating room ready and when the nurse came to get me it was a couple more questions from him and then I was wheeled back. HA! I wish. I got to walk back to the operating room as well, hop up on the OR table and wait for anesthesia to kick in. I woke from surgery it seems only minutes after and remember being in a lot of pain. That kept me in the recovery room longer than normal. It only felt like half an hour to me but I'm told I was there closer to an hour and a half.

My day of went pretty smoothly. My surgery was at 9am. I was allowed Water until 3 hours before surgery so, I got up early, showered and had a big glass of water. My hubs and I walked to the hospital (just live a couple of blocks away), and I got checked in on the ward. I was pretty nervous, but the nurses were wonderful and reassuring.

I was put in a room, got changed into a hospital gown, and then we started the pre op process. They took my vitals, went through all my Rx meds, went through all the pre op questions, and then they gave me a shot of heparin.

A little while later, a porter came to walk me and my hubs down to the surgical holding area. I was told to get comfy on a stretcher. My surgeon and anesthesiologist both popped by to say hello, we talked for a minute about the surgery and they left.

After another 30 minutes, a nurse came to wheel me down to the OR. I said goodbye to my hubs, and we were off. The nurse wheeled me to the door of the OR, and then I walked in and got up onto the table.

We again went through the pre op questions, name, birthdate, what surgery were they doing. They hooked up my IV, and strapped my arms down. They put on the blood pressure cuff, some leads to monitor my heart, and then they put me under.

I don't remember much from being in the recovery room. It's actually a little confused in my head with other times I had been in there. I do recall when they moved me out of recovery, the feeling of motion and watching the ceiling go by.

The next thing I remember is waking up in my room, my hubs sitting beside me. I had to pee really bad, so the nurses helped me out of bed (the special bariatric hospital bed was a pain in the butt to get in and out of). I spent the next 12 hours sleeping, dealing with pain meds, and peeing.

I hope all that helps and I wish you all the best with your journey!

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

Sounds pretty smooth, I wanted to walk into OR to show my sincerity, didn't get to, they had slipped me a little"Happy Juice" when they started my IV, probably would have wobbled like a Drunken Sailor, but you know, I would not trade that Day,for almost Any Other, reflect with Joy when I do remember!

From what I remember, I arrived at the hospital, toting a small overnight bag and my CPAP machine. After signing in (I had pre-registered) I had about a 10-15 minute wait before they took me back. They weighed me, took me to a room where I changed into a hospital gown and they started an IV and asked questions and took vital signs. Then they let my husband come back to the room. After a short while the anesthesiologist came in to ask questions and started something in my line. I must have fallen asleep because I don't remember saying goodbye to my husband or being wheeled into the operating room. Next thing I know I was waking up in the recovery room with 2 or 3 nurses around telling me I was okay and giving me rubbing alcohol-soaked sheets for the nausea. I had nausea as soon as I woke up. After maybe 15 minutes or so they let my husband come back and one of the nurses showed me her before/after photos of her WLS. Then they wheeled me to my room, husband in tow. I was nauseas for the whole first day and half of the second day. Never had any pain.

This is all so helpful-thanks to all for responding.

With your experiences in mind, I’ll have my fingers crossed for similar sailing for tomorrow’s procedure.

21 hours ago, ConnCT said:

Thatch- thank you. Yes- helpful.

Did you get to shower or change back to clothes the same day as surgery? Sounds more like a sleepy day than a clean yourself up day?

No shower at the hospital, and when I was discharged I put back on the clothes I wore to the hospital. I think I took a shower as soon as I got home, if I recall correctly.

My day went so smoothly. Scheduled for surgery at 7:30 am, and got into surgery right as scheduled. I wasn't all that nervous, I was mostly excited. And when they got me into the operating room, everything happened so quickly, I barely had time to register fear or nerves.

I woke up and they told me everything went really well, it felt like I had been asleep for two minutes. I had some back pain, and then some internal pain from where my stomach was removed, but a heating pad and pain meds took care of that. I was actually feeling pretty good, aside from feeling hungry from only having Water.

The next day, I got to go home. I only recall a day or two of discomfort and pain, things healed pretty quickly.

My biggest issue is (still) feeling lightheaded or easily fatigued from how few calories I consume in a day.

I am very happy I had this done. Good luck to you!