Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

overeating after gastric sleeve

it had been so tough week so i have been overeating since then I have already gained 30 pound but I don't want to get it worse since I had my procedure on Nov 2017 . I still feel pain and full but I can eat more than I could right after the surgery I am so afraid from stretching I have become so obsessed with the idea of stretching can the stomach stretch with this fast ? I never reach my goal weight and went back to overweight . I am thinking that even if the gastric sleeve was the right procedure for me as it didn't help me with my overeating . as I isn't easy anymore as I don't have the full feeling as before. It was a huge decision for me to have that surgery, and I feel like I wasted that opportunity. I'm feeling really defeated.

I am pre-op for my sleeve so take my advice for what it is!

I had the lap band about 10 years ago, and realize now I was not ready for the band when I had it placed. I am also a over eater and realized through several years of therapy that I actually had BED (Binge Eating Disorder). Once I started to get help for that, everything else fell into line. I am no longer gaining weight but instead am maintaining my weight (I also feel prepared for my sleeve!).

Something to think about, as food is a complex and complicated issue for most of us. If you constantly feel like you are beating your head against a wall, sometimes it is time for some outside help to give you some coping skills. I first started with overeaters anonymous, and then went on to counseling sessions.

50 minutes ago, marmarbolbol said:

it had been so tough week so i have been overeating since then I have already gained 30 pound but I don't want to get it worse since I had my procedure on Nov 2017 . I still feel pain and full but I can eat more than I could right after the surgery I am so afraid from stretching I have become so obsessed with the idea of stretching can the stomach stretch with this fast ? I never reach my goal weight and went back to overweight . I am thinking that even if the gastric sleeve was the right procedure for me as it didn't help me with my overeating . as I isn't easy anymore as I don't have the full feeling as before. It was a huge decision for me to have that surgery, and I feel like I wasted that opportunity. I'm feeling really defeated.

I understand how weight gain can mess with your head. You are not alone. Many are here working a weight gain off on their own or having revisions. Surgery is only a tool. I think @round2wi explained things better than I ever could. Counseling is a good option to address your overeating issues.

As for stretching, get it diagnosed by a surgeon to see if its due to complications, a botched surgery or overeating. If its overeating, get counseling so that you don’t stretch a second surgery.

What I wish sleeve patients would know before surgery. (this might not be your situation)

The sleeve might not be the right choice for some people. Your restriction will become less over time. It’s not back to full size but, you can hold more food volume. This is common experience with the sleeve. Just because you we hold more food does not mean we have to eat over our calories and macros and gain weight.

It’s easy to graze/ eat around any type of bariatric surgery. Eating several smaller meals of healthy and non-healthy foods that total over your daily calories/macros. You don’t feel any surgery restriction with small meals. It’s as if you never had surgery. You will gain weight.

54 minutes ago, round2wi said:

I had the lap band about 10 years ago, and realize now I was not ready for the band when I had it placed. I am also a over eater and realized through several years of therapy that I actually had BED (Binge Eating Disorder). Once I started to get help for that, everything else fell e into line. I am no longer gaining weight but instead am maintaining my weight (I also feel prepared for my sleeve!).

Something to think about, as food is a complex and complicated issue for most of us. If you constantly feel like you are beating your head against a wall, sometimes it is time for some outside help to give you some coping skills. I first started with overeaters anonymous, and then went on to counseling sessions.

thank you so much you give me hope as I am really so depressed I feel like I failed my surgery I have been struggling with emotional overeating for a long time . I believe I really need some help before it get worse

1 hour ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I understand how weight gain can mess with your head. You are not alone. Many are here working a weight gain off on their own or having revisions. Surgery is only a tool. I think @round2wi explained things better than I ever could. Counseling is a good option to address your overeating issues.

As for stretching, get it diagnosed by a surgeon to see if its due to complications, a botched surgery or overeating. If its overeating, get counseling so that you don’t stretch a second surgery.

What I wish sleeve patients would know before surgery. (this might not be your situation)

The sleeve might not be the right choice for some people. Your restriction will become less over time. It’s not back to full size but, you can hold more food volume. This is common experience with the sleeve. Just because you we hold more food does not mean we have to eat over our calories and macros and gain weight.

It’s easy to graze/ eat around any type of bariatric surgery. Eating several smaller meals of healthy and non-healthy foods that total over your daily calories/macros. You don’t feel any surgery restriction with small meals. It’s as if you never had surgery. You will gain weight.

thank you so much for your help and kindness I am really felling awful about myself I believe that I chose the inconvenient surgery for me I really hope I can find solution like revision surgery or counseling therapy that can help.

This is sooooo common. It's the thing I've been yelling about since surgery, but there are very few newbies who want to listen to this. Obesity is a disease. It has many factors. And some of those factors include our own relationships/behaviors with food. It's not just the substance--meaning it's not just "what" we eat, but it's also "when" we eat, "why" we eat, and even more-- "HOW" we eat. Then there is the metabolic derangement that goes along with things that creates obesity.

The surgery is just a tool to jack our hormones and tummy capacity for a short window of time, and can help us lose weight quickly, and in the process it hopefully allows us time to gain new skills, develop new behaviors and relationships with food. But the further out you go, the less and less protection it offers. Our tools "mature." Few stretch--minority of the time--most just simply mature to an increased capacity. The doctors expect that. But many do not warn us. So we end up over eating, not learning our lessons up front, or just being human. And we regain. And we feel like we fail WLS.

The beatings will never make morale improve. ((hugs)).

Make a list of 3 things today that you need to accomplish and CAN accomplish. Make them actionable. Make them attainable:

1. Hygiene: Shower, do your hair, put make-up on, and get dressed in fresh clothes.

2. Plan your meals for the day (protein first 3-4oz + steamed veggies (al dente) + avocado/tomato salad (1oz each). Stick to that plan. (Don't forget Protein first and no drinking Water with your meal or 1 hour after) - weigh your food

3. Walk 5 - 10 minutes x 3 times today.

Check them off your list. Go back to basics. 1 cup of food per meal. 3 meals per day and 1-2 tiny Snacks if you can't eat only the 3 meals. The snacks need to be BORING! The snacks need to be <100cals, <5g carbs and healthy (i.e. hb egg, 2oz turkey lunch meat, or veggies with Grk yogurt ranch dip).

Go to bed and sleep 8 hours in a completely dark, cool room.

You can do this. Do it one day at a time. Join a local WLS support group. Go back to your RD. Get a referral to a counselor!!! Do it!!! It's not too late.

Thank You FLUFFY Chix, there are pointers i n there we do all need to remember. Just like the surgery is not the EASY WAY OUT, living the post- surgery life is also not easy, there are days that seem so pfft, you yearn for a different taste,texture, anything to release the blahs, that could be why some sneak in some Snacks or don't eat wisely.

22 hours ago, round2wi said:

I had the lap band about 10 years ago, and realize now I was not ready for the band when I had it placed. I am also a over eater and realized through several years of therapy that I actually had BED (Binge Eating Disorder). Once I started to get help for that, everything else fell into line. I am no longer gaining weight but instead am maintaining my weight (I also feel prepared for my sleeve!).

I am going to start overeaters anonymous too. I am also pre-op. Never had any WL surgery but I know I have an issue with overeating.

I am so thankful for the clinic psychologist at the place I had my surgery.

His lesson that he hammers every time he gets the chance is that WLS has 3 major traps:

Trap #1: you will initially lose weight NO MATTER WHAT. You can have the worst habits and diet ever and still lose weight. This is a bad trap as there isn’t negative feedback for unhealthy behaviors.

Trap #2: because of the reduced size of your new digestive tract, you can eat small portions of metabolically disruptive foods (carb-laden and devoid of protein) and be “okay” because it’s only a few bites. Nope,nope,nope! Even in teensy amounts, foods that promote insulin resistance are only going to put you right back into a bad metabolic state over time. Best to avoid them (or save them only for very special occasions) altogether.

Trap #3: You don’t stop becoming a “fat” person just because you lost a bunch of weight.
It’s kind of like being a smoker or an alcoholic. Just because you’re not actively smoking or drinking, it doesn’t mean you can magically pick up smoking or drinking again and not expect difficult consequences. Fat brains stay fat brains for life and we need to be ever-diligent to not fall into any of the “fat” behaviors that got us needing WLS in the first place.

I actually wrote all of these traps down after my sessions with him and I keep them taped to a cork board in my bedroom. I see them every day and try my best each day to keep those lessons close to heart.

1 hour ago, Sheribear68 said:

His lesson that he hammers every time he gets the chance is that WLS has 3 major traps:

Trap #1: you will initially lose weight NO MATTER WHAT. You can have the worst habits and diet ever and still lose weight. This is a bad trap as there isn’t negative feedback for unhealthy behaviors.

Trap #2: because of the reduced size of your new digestive tract, you can eat small portions of metabolically disruptive foods (carb-laden and devoid of protein) and be “okay” because it’s only a few bites. Nope,nope,nope! Even in teensy amounts, foods that promote insulin resistance are only going to put you right back into a bad metabolic state over time. Best to avoid them (or save them only for very special occasions) altogether.

Trap #3: You don’t stop becoming a “fat” person just because you lost a bunch of weight.
It’s kind of like being a smoker or an alcoholic. Just because you’re not actively smoking or drinking, it doesn’t mean you can magically pick up smoking or drinking again and not expect difficult consequences. Fat brains stay fat brains for life and we need to be ever-diligent to not fall into any of the “fat” behaviors that got us needing WLS in the first place.

I actually wrote all of these traps down after my sessions with him and I keep them taped to a cork board in my bedroom. I see them every day and try my best each day to keep those lessons close to heart.

OMG!!!!!!! This!!! YES!!!! Am I yelling? I’ve been saying this forevs!! 🥰❤️

i feel our head control what goes in our mouth if you have to tell yourself its ok to eat it its probably not ok this is like any addiction it takes dedication and determination as the sleeve is just the tool we use it can not control our heads we all need to seek some help and also help ourselves not rely only on the tool we have been blessed with Portion Control and healthy choices are in our head we need to stay focused on our heath and our success

On 5/15/2019 at 4:50 AM, Sheribear68 said:

thank you so much for your inspiring tips