Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

regret not doing this sooner

I regret not having this surgery at a lower weight, like 230. I would be at my goal by now. My coworker's niece had the surgery in February at 215 and is already like 10lbs from her goal weight. I have gotten a lot better at not comparing myself to others' progress, but seeing how quick "lighter" WLS patients have hit their goals makes me feel sad at my own journey and that I waited so long.

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

seeing how quick "lighter" WLS patients have hit their goals makes me feel sad at my own journey and that I waited so long.

But I feel just the opposite. Being lighter, starting at 235 pounds, I see people who've lost 100 pounds in six months and I've only lost 35 pounds in 5 months and I get discouraged. I think we all reach our goals at the same amount of time, by percentage, if not by number of pounds.

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

I regret not having this surgery at a lower weight, like 230. I would be at my goal by now. My coworker's niece had the surgery in February at 215 and is already like 10lbs from her goal weight. I have gotten a lot better at not comparing myself to others' progress, but seeing how quick "lighter" WLS patients have hit their goals makes me feel sad at my own journey and that I waited so long.

It's really, really hard to not compare your own journey to others... But maybe it will help you to reflect on how far you've come so far? Your ticker says you've lost 100 lbs, which is absolutely amazing progress! I've only lost 20 so far, with an ultimate goal of losing a total of about 170 lbs.... I'm still miles away from my goal, but I'm glad I've started walking in that direction. And I'm proud for you that you're heading that way too, even if you're much further along!

4 hours ago, GradyCat said:

I think we all reach our goals at the same amount of time, by percentage, if not by number of pounds.

If you tend to compare yourself to others (we really shouldn't, but we can't help it), this is important to note. It's comparatively quicker to lose 100 lbs when the starting weight is 300 lbs vs 200 lbs. The former would have lost 33% of their body weight, but the latter would have lost 50%

But if you can, try not to compare at all...it will mess with your head ♥️

Don't compare your journey to anyone else's.

We all hit our own "rock bottom" that acts as our final decision to have the surgery....for some they are 215 pounds, for others, they are 515 pounds. But we eventually have all gotten to that point or we wouldn't be sharing our stories on here.

Eat your Protein, stick to your plan, drink your Water, get some exercise, get good rest and you will be hitting your goal before you know it!

I think this is a common sentiment. I’ve seen it a lot anyway. It’s probably the number one “regret” I see on support groups and forums. As I was concidering the surgery and asking myself “do I really need to do this now? I don’t weigh that much.” But seeing comments like that helped push me to say “yeah why not”

youre doing great! Keep up the good work!

On 5/10/2019 at 2:30 PM, mousecat88 said:

When I think of the miserable vacations( chub rub rashes from hot temperatures) and not being able to ski in YEARS I wonder why I waited so long too! I’m 55 and spent too much time not going out side with my last child and he has developed a weight problem from my bad example.. however, I can make the most of today and I will not compare myself to anyone , I lose slowly because I’m peri menopausal and it just is what it is.. you had the surgery and you will get there .. trust the process and love yourself and be proud of yourself TODAY.

I regret not having it before varicose veins and wrinkles.. like 20 years ago when there was some hope of a bathing suit without a frilly skirt , sarong, or cover up !!! But hey, I look a LOT better and feel great ... even if I don’t ever turn a head or two ever again... sigh

Carrot- maybe it is enough to turn your own head. Wear that beach skirt an hat with bright colors and dance along the shore.

I totally understand wishing you'd had the surgery early. I've always been a painfully slow loser due to PCOS and it's so frustrating to see people losing 25+ pounds the first 2 weeks while I lost 15 and am hitting the 3 week stall early. If one more person says something about "well people with a higher starting weight lose more" to me I will scream. I was 282 on the day of surgery. That's a pretty damn high weight. I had someone tell me my weight loss on the pre op diet was "slower than keto" and I laughed because I've never had rapid weight loss on Keto and my pre op weight loss was exactly the same to the amount I lost on keto in the same time.

I wish I'd had surgery at a lower weight so my goal didn't seem so far away.